Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pose running method.
Quote | Reply
Hi, I could probably posted this in the tri forum but I want some serious answers from some women who maybe are not the best runners or who have sturggled to get to get to where they are.
I recently had knee surgery (medial meniscus removal) and cannot seem to run (4 months out) without pain. I have not even been able to sustain running on a treadmill after repeated attempts. I know my running form has always sucked, so I want to change it.

I was curious about trying the Pose method for running, but I have never been able to change anything about my running form in the past.

Has anyone else made significant changes to their running form? especially the Pose method, but other would help too. What helped you make these changes? Where you able to do the drills yourself or did you hire / use a running coach?
Any hints, tips, comments would be greatly appreciated. I am starting to get really frustrated and the elliptical is beginning to feel much more tedious than any treadmill.

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Pose running method. [wickedcheezit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

I definitely fit your "not the best runner/struggle with my running criteria. This year, I decided to do some work on my running form and hired a Chi running coach after reading the book. I don't know much about Pose (the two styles are probably very similar) but Chi running emphasizes a forward lean, good posture, high cadence and keeping everything except for your core muscles "as relaxed as possible." I had one three hour session with the coach to go over the various principles and show me some exercises and techniques to make sure I was doing it right. It has definitely made a huge difference in both my running style and general enjoyment of running. But honestly, I think having any kind of running coach will help you, it doesn't necessarily have to be a specific running style. The two things that have helped me the most are increasing my cadence and paying attention to my posture, making sure that my core is tight and my shoulders aren't hunched over - these aren't things specific to Chi running, they are good running technique period. The higher cadence helps my feet land under my body and keeps the pounding to a minimum.

My running form was definitely messed up, so addressing that has helped immensely. The first time I ran with my husband after the Chi Running session, he noticed the change immediately. My advice is to find a running coach in your area, be it Pose, Chi, Evolution or just plain old running and have them watch you run and make suggestions. It has made such a huge difference that I'm kicking myself I didn't do this years ago.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer - I'm a dude. :-)

I was a classic foot-out-front heel striker. Running wasn't particularly fun and I always had shin splints, hip flexor issues, and some knee pain (but not much). It wasn't from excess weight, either. I was 155 at the time and just had bad form.

Last year, in the off season, I wanted to improve my running times. I didn't start my run training with a form change in mind but the book Triathlete's Guide to Run Training focused on the Evolution method of running. FWIW, I think that Pose, Chi, Evo are all endorsing the same run form. I worked on the drills (higher cadence, forefoot strike, foot under the body, etc.) and it took a couple of months to get comfortable. Be advised! Your calves will need time to adapt and they will be sore all of the time. I didn't use a coach. But, a metronome or 180bpm music is a big help.

It has now been a year and I have noticed a HUGE change and have been amazed at the improvement.. I've also allowed my body to fall into a natural modification of the Evo method. I now have a more midfoot landing (almost flat footed) and it works for me. I have zero pain from running and this allows (encourages) me to run more. This has, in turn, led to great improvement in my run times.

Hope my n=1 story helps.

Edited to add: I grew up in Lexington. Haven't lived there in over 20 years but visited for a family reunion a few years ago.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Last edited by: P2SLowry: Nov 11, 08 10:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please read this. Lots of GREAT info about foot strike.
Jessica

Jessica
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who have done coaching, how do you find a running coach?
Local running store? I just moved to this area so I don't really have any idea where to start. Is there an organizaiton I could check with online? I don't want to waste my money to learn better technique from someone who may just call themself a coach, you know?

(I did note on the pose website, there are no local coaches for the technique).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found mine through the Chi Running website, but local running store would probably have some ideas or you could try local college/high schools with track programs...

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Pose Method and love it. I would highly recommend it. The change in running style has been great. Prior to learning pose I was running about a 10 minute mile for my run in an Olympic distance. I was a heavy heal striker and had to buy new running shoes every 3 months or my knees would start hurting. I now have had the same pair of training shoes for over a year. I have a pair of racing flats for over a year that look like slippers. No more knee pain and at my last Olympic distance race I had a 7:37 pace on a hilly course. It is great to not have to buy new shoes every couple months. The website has a link where you can find certified coach's in your area. There is a lot of work in learning a new technique and learning it properly. I practice my drills and stretching several times each week.
Quote Reply
Re: Pose running method. [nutty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the pose method book but haven't cracked it open yet.
I was a heavy heavy foot out in front of me heel striker until this fall, when I got snippets of what pose and chi running are like, and got myself a pair of newtons... I think I'm more naturally a forefoot/midfoot striker and I have been going very slowly to transition myself to this way of running, and landing with the foot more underneath me than out in front of me.
I don't know that I've gotten any faster, since I haven't done any races and I haven't been timing my runs, but I feel much more natural with it.
Yes, your calves will be sore ALL the time. That's why I've been ramping up slowly!
However, I'm hoping this will eliminate the severe knee pain I feel at the 20 mile mark.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bio mechanics thought to everyone thinking about Pose or Chi running methods....

Can you change ground force? How?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I changed my running form. No, it was not easy. I also had major meniscus surgery.

I was the typical new adult runner, heavy heel striker. When I ramped up the mileage for my first marathon I was getting lots of pain in my surgically repaired knee, as well as other joints. I read about Pose on ST, went to the Pose website and read more. I changed based on what I read. It was very difficult and I had lots of calf pain as others have mentioned. I literally had to think about every step. It took intense concentration for the first month or so until it became ingrained into muscle memory. The whole process took 4-6 months.

Unlike some others, I made the switch entirely because Pose has less impact on the joints due to a much higher reliance on muscles to absorb the impact. Speed was a secondary concern.

The results have been great. Since I switched in 2003 I've done 7 marathons and a vast number of shorter races, as well as numerous triathlons. Currently I'm running 70-80 miles/week with no pain at all.

A coach would be the best, but buying the book or video could probably also be helpful. I say probably because all I did was go off what I read online. I did have a coach look at my form a year or so after I had switched and a few minor refinements were recommended.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: Pose running method. [Jessica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting that link. I found it VERY informative.
Quote Reply