Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Port-o-Potty breaks during racing?!
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
I have been experimenting with my pre-race nutrition to eliminate the need for prolonged port o potty issues during races. I did a 1/2 IM yesterday and once again I had to stop at the port o potty during the 1/2 marathon. I know (or perceive!) some people never have these issues and I am wondering how they do this....maybe they eat very little the day before the race? A small pre-race breakfast? Any ideas?!

KK
Quote Reply
Re: Port-o-Potty breaks during racing?! [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I assume that you mean a bathroom break for #2? For me, its more about what I ate the night BEFORE and not the race morning. I make sure that eat dinner early (finished eating no later than 6-7) and get up early enough in the morning to drink coffee/water or whatever necessary to get things moving pre-race. I'm usually up at least 3 hours before the race start to make sure that everything is taken care of. This will usually require a stop on the way to the race site (and, when I'm unlucky, a long visit to the port-o-can before the race).
If you skimp on what you eat pre-race, you may end up with nutritional problems during the race. Also, have you thought about adjusting your race nutrition. The gu brand products do no sit well with me and usually send me to the port-o-pot within the next mile. Could this be your issue?
I have learned that race and pre-race nutrition is very individualized. Although this works for me, it might not work for someone else. That said, its been a long time since I've had GI issues during a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Port-o-Potty breaks during racing?! [roxiegirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed. i like to eat dinner at ~4pm the day before a 1/2IM with a small snack before bed. also avoiding stuff that bothers you (for me it's soy).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
24hrs prior to gun time, stay away from vindaloo...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try cutting out higher fiber foods in the 1-2 days leading up to the race; don't eat a big salad for lunch or dinner the day before the race.

Are you taking in gels with a lot of caffeine? That can cause GI distress.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Port-o-Potty breaks during racing?! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I now believe mistakes were made in my pre-race nutrition.....a bean burrito for lunch day before the race (too much fiber), I didn't eat my brown rice/tofu until 5:30+-pm day before race (eating too late). I have a peanut butter sandwich on race morning with coffee which seems okay. I had part of a Snickers Marathon bar on the bike which didn't sit well with me--why I had only part of the bar. On the bike I drank SE (Sustained Energy) and water. Running I did have 2 GU'S (the 2X caffeine) and I am wondering if the caffeine sends me to the port-o-potty! I also drank Cola during the run. Thanks for the ideas!

KK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfair as it is, some people just have more problems with this than others. You may want to try Imodium? I know many athletes who have found that helped them get through the race.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Port-o-Potty breaks during racing?! [ride 'em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Early dinner night before.

Day of, coffee, move about, maybe light jog to get things going. But coffee, every time.
Quote Reply
Re: Port-o-Potty breaks during racing?! [triFP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. I have used Immodium in the past as well. Coffee definitely works! I am re-thinking my pre-race dinner of brown rice though. I believe zero fiber may be the way to go. Taking no chances!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dairy has a huge impact on me, I start weaning off it (no pun intended) about a week before a big race. Some cheese is ok, but if I even look at a glass of milk or a bowl of cottage cheese... it's port-o-potty city for me. I also start reducing my fiber intake a day or two before the race. Then pretty bland food the night before and morning of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Port-o-Potty breaks during racing?! [Tri tri again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found out that I'll have this issue if I consume any artificial sweeteners beforehand or during - even as much as the day beforehand. So, no diet cokes, no chewing gum, etc. Good luck tracking it down.

And that vindaloo -- yeah, I have heard many stories about the horrors brought about by this dish!
Quote Reply
Re: Port-o-Potty breaks during racing?! [redmeeple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
intestinal flora have a heyday with artificial sweeteners. Sugarless gum bothers me too.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Port-o-Potty breaks during racing?! [Tri tri again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dairy has a huge impact on me

..and can sometimes slip under your radar. i didn't even think about the cream in my pre-race coffee, since it was the same thing i'd had before every other race this year (prior to discovering i react badly to lactose and casein and gave up dairy almost entirely). muskoka was a very long and rather unpleasant race as a result..

i figured it out, found a non-dairy alternative to the pre-race coffee, and was a happy camper for my final race of the season. keep in mind that i can't even use "non-dairy" creamer or most non-dairy (vegetarian) cheese since they include casein as an ingredient, which gives me major abdominal cramps!

everyone is different, and it could be almost anything...eggs, dairy, nightshades, onion, gluten, wheat, soy, sugar, sugar alcohols, artificial sweeteners, alcohol, fish, shellfish and fructose are all known allergens for some, and of course your hydration, fibre intake and intestinal flora have an impact on your day-to-day digestion as well. best of luck in finding what works for you!

cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Sep 21, 10 9:27
Quote Reply