Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Political threads gone
Quote | Reply
I had a bad feeling that someone would get offended and it happened so all of the political threads are gone. Sorry to delete everyone's replies. In the future, please start political discussions in the Lavendar room so we can all remain friends.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Political threads gone [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny how the women's kept it relatively polite and agree to disagree, but its gloves off in the LR with the guys around or when thy come over here.

Sue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your decision, of course, but, I find it odd. Here is what Cathy posted as the purpose of this forum:

"This forum was set up for women to discuss topics related to the sport of triathlon. Everyone, men included, is welcome to post a related topic or respond to any topic, however, posts that are not welcoming or supportive will be removed by forum moderators and you may be banned from posting in the future. Respectful debate and discussion to increase knowledge is the key to a great conversation."

However, you have topics on on-line dating, shoes, womens' health issues, cars, etc. I just find it interesting that you decided to pull the political threads. It is too bad b/c many intelligent minds in this (i.e., The Womens) forum do not dare wander into the LR (for good reason btw).

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you kidding me??? This is a truly pathetic call not to mention insulting. Is this a forum for women or a playpen? "Offended" by someone's opinion? Grow the hell up!

I'm miffed I took the time to type out a thoughtful response only to see it vanish into thin air. The Womens seems fairly slow anyway, way to make it more of a ghost town...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for starting it, I'd hoped we could talk as women about the choice of a woman without getting nasty.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Political threads gone [icequeen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa. Unnecessary. Completely.

Quote | Reply
Icequeen, I apologized for removing your post, I hope you can accept my apology and move on. The Lavendar room is a great place for political discussions, I encourage you to take on the debates over there. I participated in the discussion initially so it wasn't like we censored it out right. It got ugly, some feelings were genuinely hurt, so now let's all move on.

Please start some new threads on triathlon friends!
Quote Reply
Re: Political threads gone [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jen it only got heated when Art and the rest of the boys came wondering over from the LR. I think it was a FINE topic of discuss given the context of the situation.

But i kind of agree that we should keep the Women's politically free. See you in the LR.

Sue
Quote Reply
Re: Political threads gone [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But i kind of agree that we should keep the Women's politically free. See you in the LR.
Funny, I was going to say that before. I like you all and really want to keep it that way! haha :)

Quote | Reply
Jen, no need to apologize, I thought it was a valid and interesting discussion but things go south fast when the discussion is political in nature. I had a bad feeling about it yesterday and it came true. Women's intuition, we should talk about that!
Quote Reply
Re: Political threads gone [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA, I understand that it is confusing but we delete topics when someone gets offended or asks that items be removed. It's that simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I missed whichever thread turned ugly, because the thread I tried to post on was very civil for a political thread. It's a total turn-off to change the rules in the middle of the game or to forbid certain topics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Icequeen, things were said, someone was deeply hurt, things we not resolved, and we are now trying to move on. We aren't changing rules mid-game, the rule is always the same, when people are disrespectful and someone brings it to a moderator, then the moderator deals with it, usually by getting rid of the thread. The Lavendar room is mostly politics, so it's not like there isn't a place for you to debate.

I apologize to everyone whose comments were pulled, I wish it didn't turn out the way that it did, but that's what happens in politics.

Take care!
Last edited by: trailbait: Sep 1, 08 15:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am sitting here on the couch with one working hand/arm after a wreck and decided to take a half an hour to type out a response, thinking it was a good place to discuss politics and motherhood (being the women's forum and all) only to follow up on my thoughts and find them deleted with in an hour. I mean seriously... it seems like things were going fine with people expressing their views about the female perspective on the choice of VP. Whatever. no more hour long posts for me with one hand. I'm done.

Anne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a bad feeling that someone would get offended and it happened so all of the political threads are gone.

Do you have the ability to move threads from the womens forum to the LR?

I think that would have been the more prudent thing to do, along with a note here as to why.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Political threads gone [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not have the access to move threads to other forums. We are only able to work with posts in the womens forum. Apologies, again to all, I can see that emotions are still running high. I would genuinely like to see all of us remain friendly toward one another (including me please, I don't have the thickest skin and this is a volunteer effort) and just ask that all of you consider that in your discussions.
Quote Reply
Re: Political threads gone [trigoneroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anne, I'm so sorry that you are hurting physically and wish you the best in recovery. Can the womens of ST send you some books or magazines?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Icequeen, things were said, someone was deeply hurt, things we not resolved, and we are now trying to move on. We aren't changing rules mid-game, the rule is always the same, when people are disrespectful and someone brings it to a moderator, then the moderator deals with it, usually by getting rid of the thread. The Lavendar room is mostly politics, so it's not like there isn't a place for you to debate.

I apologize to everyone who's comments were pulled, I wish it didn't turn out the way that it did, but that's what happens in politics.

Take care!

That's not the point. I actually logged in specifically today to see if the women here were talking about the Alaskan governor being chosen as VP, because I was curious to see what other women across the country thought.

I can't get over the fact that a topic as important as politics is pulled from this forum for good, because someone's feelings got hurt. How do people get through life? Seriously! I'm embarrassed to be female today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am sitting here on the couch with one working hand/arm after a wreck and decided to take a half an hour to type out a response, thinking it was a good place to discuss politics and motherhood (being the women's forum and all) only to follow up on my thoughts and find them deleted with in an hour. I mean seriously... it seems like things were going fine with people expressing their views about the female perspective on the choice of VP. Whatever. no more hour long posts for me with one hand. I'm done.

Anne
Exactly, and I agree with you 100%. I hope you feel better...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Icequeen, you don't have all the information and I understand that you are upset. I participated on the thread initially because I was excited about the discussion. That's all I can say to you at this point.

There is a new thread in the Lavendar room that you can participate on:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

I wish you the best and hope you have a great discussion over in the LR!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 i find it insulting that women cannot discuss things of deep meaning here for fear of being offensive. we are not babies, and we are not softies. i thought in this forum all things were fair game and this was a place where women could rally and be open with contemporary meaningful topics.

i'm against censorship, and i'm against having someone determine what i can and cannot discuss. this is not the 1950's where it was taboo for women to discuss politics. this is 2008-2009, and we have a woman running for VP; need we remind "the moderators" that this is a grand time for women in politics? how tragic we are forbiden to discuss current events in what should be a progressive forum to support women, not shush them.

it is a shame that the old culture of "women shouldn't discuss politics" is still in play right here on Slowtwitch. that is a tragic tragic development, and i'm ashamed of that.

trigone, i for one am regretful that i didn't get to read your response. i appreciate what you have to say, and know you are typing with one hand. that is just too bad all the way around. also, i would have enjoyed reading what everyone had to say, but now i will not get the honor of reading your words, and for that i feel a loss that i didn't get to chose for myself, and think about what you had to say, be it offensive or not.

additionally, i'd like to say that i'm embarrassed, as a woman, to have someone decide for me what i can and cannot read or handle because it was political in nature. i thought we had moved beyond these ancient ideals, that woman cannot handle topics of politics or other deep discussions.

must we limit ourselves to discussions of shoes, hair highlights and other simple topics?

sorry, but i find this "women shouldn't discuss politics" hurtful, and absolutely backwards. it is a slap in the face.

women have worked very hard to be able to modernize, speak their minds and be a part of the political system. apparently, this is not appreciated in the women's forum on ST. it is clear to me that rather than champion women and push them forward, this forum aims to keep women down and to quiet them.

i will no longer be participating.
Last edited by: kittycat: Sep 1, 08 20:24
Quote Reply
Re: Political threads gone [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with KC.

Moderators can you put it back? It seems really silly to delete it. Imagine how empty the LR & main forums would be if everytime someone got offended the thread was yanked...
Quote Reply
Re: Political threads gone [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm bummed to see comments removed when the discussion seemed very civil to me....I read the thread yesterday morning and all was fine.....what happened?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with that decision to move the political content to the LR. When I read the main forum or the women's forum, I really only want to read triathlon content. If I want politicis, I go to LR. If I have stuff to sell or advertisements, I'd go to the ad forum. I'd prefer to keep the Womens uncluttered by political crap.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for moving the political threads to the Lavender Room. I don't think we should be offended because all the political threads started out in the Lavender Room and it made it kind of confusing to have even more of the political threads over here.
Quote Reply

Prev Next