Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Online Ironman Training- recommendations?
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a coach for my first Ironman in November. I'm not looking for anyone to sell me their training plans here but looking for recommendations on how to find a good coach and any experiences anyone may have had using a coach online. I have always used free online training plans for half-iron distance races I've done but I think that I need a little more accountability and direction while training for a full.

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Online Ironman Training- recommendations? [Shirley1406] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you search on the main forum, you can find a number of threads. My recommendations, in no particular order, are

desert dude
trukweaz
markyv

Those are their ST usernames, but websites ---
Accelerate 3 is desert dude's coaching site
Personal Best Multisport Coaching is trukweaz's
I do not remember markyv's but search his name on the main forum and you'll find his profile; site is in the sig line.

I did a training camp with desert dude; I have met trukweaz (and seen him FLY by me on the bike); I hope to meet markyv one day as he seems super cool (and I have exchanged a number of PMs with him). You could not go wrong with either of those three.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And, FWIW, I've done 2 fulls with no coach but I didn't podium either. :) I used the BT plans.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a plan from Endurance Nation. It was perfect for me. Challenging but not crazy. I really like Rich Strauss's approach to things.
Quote Reply
Re: Online Ironman Training- recommendations? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seconding Tigerchik's recs. I DNFed two ironmans with Endurance Nation after 5 prior finishes so have a real coach now. I'm with Accelerate3 and am quite happy with how my fitness is coming together in spite of major time constraints in prep for LP. Did a training camp with MarkyV on Maui and if I wasn't already with Brian would be more than happy with him too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, this is just something to think about.... I found that training for 140.6 is not that much different than training for 70.3. The biggest difference is in the length of the long swims/bikes/runs. At least for me, the big jump was going from sprint/oly to 70.3. If you coached yourself through 70.3, you can do the same for 140.6.

Some other thoughts:
--A coach can save you time in terms of planning workouts and telling you what to do (nutrition, recovery, etc). On the other hand, you might learn more if you have to figure these things out for yourself.
--Matt Fitzgerald has a book of tri training plans for all distances/levels, and it's only $14. You can save the money on a coach and invest it in a sport specific improvement (masters swim class, bike fit, aero wheels, etc.)
--I'm a strong proponent that accountability and direction has to come from within. It's only going to be you out there at mile 20 of the run. ;-)

I can see hiring a coach if either 1) you're brand new to the sport and simply overwhelmed by it all (doesn't sound like you're in this boat); 2) simply need it for a confidence booster and can afford it; or 3) have been at it for a while and are looking to squeeze out those last few seconds/minutes of speed.

Whatever you decide, good luck! It's quite the journey.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend Kevin in MD.

Have fun training!
Quote Reply