Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Off topic help?
Quote | Reply
This is so off topic for a triathlon forum but I’m at a bit of a loss so hopefully someone has some experience with this. My dad has started smoking again after my mom passed away (he’d been 18 mos smoke-free). I’m thinking of getting him one of those electric cigarettes. Does anyone have any experience with these? I don’t even pretend to know what to look for.

Help?
Quote Reply
Re: Off topic help? [SMO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work for a company that does smoking cessation coaching (as a graphic designer, so not an expert in any way.) I know a lot of people use the electronic cigarettes to quit smoking, but the scary thing is that they are completely unregulated and some of them have some really scary things in them. Your dad is dealing with a huge loss and is probably not in the best headspace to do something as stressful as quitting smoking. I personally wouldn't go the e-cig route, but see if there are other ways you can support him. Help him find ways to replace the cigarette habit with a healthier one (take a walk, grab a coffee, etc.)

In case you find it helpful, here's my company website: https://www.quitnow.net/Program/, they also have a pretty active Facebook community: https://www.facebook.com/quitforlife I know it's scary over there, but you might also try posting this in the Lavender Room.

Best of luck to you and your dad.

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never used one, but as a former smoker who quit back in 2010, I will be totally honest with you - those e-cigarettes will not help. They still provide nicotine, which is what fuels the mental and physical addiction. It's basically like giving someone a heroin pill instead of an injection; same drug, just different delivery. It takes 72hrs without nicotine - the longest 3 gawddamn days of your life, it seems - for it to clear the bloodstream. Any "cheating", even a single puff, and you're back to minute 1 of withdrawal symptoms.

I also know that a smoker isn't going to quit successfully until they make the choice to do so for themself. The person has to want to be smoke free, or they'll just return to it.

This site has some excellent resources about quitting: http://whyquit.org/

The most I wanted a cigarette since I quit was when my own father died suddenly last June (followed closely by the day I broke my wrist in August - 2012 kinda sucked), but I quit by realizing that:

a) Cigarettes don't solve problems - they just add another one.
b) The main stress relief from smoking comes from walking away from the source of stress for a few minutes and taking some deep breaths.
c) I didn't want to be controlled by a substance.
d) I am stronger than a chemical.

..and those thoughts have seen me through any painful or stressful times for well over 3 years now.

I wish you all the best in encouraging your father to make a change. Your support will be huge if he decides it's his time to break free of the endless cycle of suck that is smoking.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Jun 25, 13 13:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might suggest the patch (worked great for my mom, who has been smoke free for 17 years now!) and grief counseling. The smoking is a coping mechanism and a cry for help. Guys suck at asking for help. Find a group and dump him off.

GL to you and your dad!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no experience with e-smoke. But I WAS a lifetime smoker until I found Chantix. It worked for me. I know there's side effects ~~ the technicolor dreams were rough. But after a month, I was off smokes and Chantix both. Permanently.

Best wishes to you and your dad. His losing his wife ~~ and you your mom ~~ has got to be really tough.

~~ kate
Quote Reply