Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ocean swimming hair tangling issue
Quote | Reply
Well, to say it's tangling is an understatement.
I go into the ocean with a nice ponytail tucked under my swim cap. I come out of the ocean with dreadlocks.
I have damaged (from getting it streaked blonde) long hair that seems to soak up all the salt and become a matted mess.
Anyone have tips before I cut a good 4-6 inches off.
I am thinking Argan oil or coconut oil? But I don't want to attract sharks either.
What do you do?
(minor issue I know)
Thanks!

Best wishes,
Marianne
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean swimming hair tangling issue [mzappella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wet your hair with fresh water before you get in the ocean. That will help keep it from soaking up the sea water (it's also good to do this before you get in the pool).
Also, put conditioner on your hair after you wet it, or use coconut oil. Either will add another layer of protection and help keep it from getting knotted. You might also try braiding the pony tail, that will help keep it from getting tangled around itself.

Hope that helps!
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean swimming hair tangling issue [YarnYoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YarnYoda-- Thank you! I hadn't thought of wetting it before. I will try all your tips and let you know next week. :) Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on braiding. But ocean, lake, river, doesn't matter for me... the hair at my collar always turns to dreads when I wear a wetsuit so.... I finally had that part of my head shaved short. It took some convincing to get the hair dresser to do it, and the first one didn't cut it short enough. After my butchering it with scissors, the next lady to cut my hair understood what I was going for. Finally, I'm no longer spending a race with itchy snarls at my neck line.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean swimming hair tangling issue [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re the hair at the collar: I have had a 1" undercut for years to deal with this issue. I used to get huge rats nests there from swimming and riding (shoulder checking) and the undercut was the only thing that ever worked. Basically shaved/clipped to a #1 or #2 on the trimmer, right along the base of your hair at the nape/neck. Also helps with heat. And if you have poofy hair like me, it helps let your hair lay just a smudge flatter. :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean swimming hair tangling issue [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh to have some poof to my hair..... I'm poofless.
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean swimming hair tangling issue [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh this sounds tempting. How does it look if you pull your hair back?
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean swimming hair tangling issue [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it looks fine but I'm not a girly girl - function over fashion for me. Have had it for almost 20 years. Also helps that I'm blonde - darker hair might look more obvious. 1" is not that much.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean swimming hair tangling issue [benderin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
benderin wrote:
Oh to have some poof to my hair..... I'm poofless.

Me too :(

But I am going to agree with the wet-and-condition suggestion. Poof-less, fine hair gets eaten away in chlorine. Wetting my hair and putting in conditioner, then putting on my swim cap is the only way to go to prevent damage, and makes it tolerable to brush out after a swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean swimming hair tangling issue [Mell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same poof-less AND dark hair....by the end of each summer I have the baby-fine, white swimmer hair all along my neck. Both my sides & back are now kept super short anyway so it's less noticeable, but there's a funny "line of demarcation" that shows up over the course of outdoor training where the sun & chemicals just lighten it up regardless of what I do.

Because mine is so short & consistently colored, I try to remember to wet it &/or throw conditioner in the ends at least....it only makes my silicone caps a little more slicky, but that's not a problem in practice. Long, outdoor swims have occasional adjustments built into them so the caps don't pop off into the wild unknown.

Now, if only I could remember to take those same tactics into my whitewater paddling circle so we don't all remove helmets & bandanas at the end of the day to reveal these horrid messes....but at least we provide quality entertainment.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean swimming hair tangling issue [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am blonde and always felt a bit hurt that my hair never turned green from chlorine... I certainly swam enough... strange complaint, probably, but the other girls I swam with always had that as a point of pride :P

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean swimming hair tangling issue [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha...I swim so much open water now & am usually glad mine is dark so I can't see the grunge that's in it.

If I spend too much time in chemical water & sunshine mine starts to get that swimmer breakage & weird, hollow look. It all lightens up & my hairline at my neck just looks sad.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.kerastase.ca/en/collection/soleil/AQUA-SEAL.html

It's a little on the pricey side, but a little goes a long way.
Quote Reply
Re: Ocean swimming hair tangling issue [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the Keratase suggestion. Looks like it gets great reviews.
I tried the braids. :( I must have done something wrong -- Ha ha! I went to a tri party after the swim with total fuzz ball. But everyone there understood! :)
Overheard in the car on the way there, "Do I have seaweed in my hair?"
Tomorrow an ocean swim and I will try to brush in some Argan oil first...

Thanks ladies! :)
Quote Reply