Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oahu vacation lodging Q
Quote | Reply
Anyone in the know about Oahu? Ghia Girl may be able to help. We are trying to decide where to stay on Oahu (only going to be there for a couple of days), and we know we do not want to stay in Waikiki or Honolulu - we would rather have quiet and cool beaches (possibly North Shore?). We'll get a rental car if we need to, so I guess we could be anywhere on the island - any ideas on what part of the island to stay at? We've been scourging vacation rentals by owner, but there are just so many areas and we are quite clueless!

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Oahu vacation lodging Q [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The North Shore is awesome this time of year, nice and calm oceans. Another option is Kailua, then specifically in Kailua is Lanikai beach area. Those are probably the best beaches on Oahu, and if I were vacationing here where I'd want to stay. The rest of the island is too commercial and touristy (at least I think).

When are you going to be on Oahu? I have a 1 bedroom apartment that is 2 blocks to Kailua beach that I can arrange a rental for.
Quote Reply
Re: Oahu vacation lodging Q [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are arriving October 15, heading to Maui on Oct 18, so it's only 3 nights.

I'd love to see the details on your place there. I'll check out the areas/beaches when I get a break.

Thanks Maggs!

I just PM'd you with my email address.

Last edited by: RockyMtnChic: Jul 30, 08 11:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally agree on the Kailua, Oahu location. It's mainly private rentals so if things don't work out with GhiaGirl's place here's the general link. http://www.kailuavacationrentals.net/index.html

I strongly recommend it!! In comparison to Waikiki Beach it's paradise!

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto what Maggs said about the North Shore and Kailua.

If you don't work something out with Maggs, I like Turtle Bay Resort on the North Shore. It's nice, but not crazy fancy/expensive, has it's own fairly deserted beach, and is a quick drive to all the fun North Shore beaches.

Have a great trip!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best riding on the island is either direction out of Kailua and there is a master's team based out of their 25 yd X 50 m pool if you just have to have some chlorine. There is also a Fleet Feet for running information, good hiking and it's green as opposed to the brown of some parts of the island. Can you tell the general location of where I live:) If you prefer riding of the surf variety, October is a kind of transitional as to where the best waves are but Kailua and Lanikai beaches are not really known as big surf beaches. Kayaking and smoother water stuff is better. Diving's decent around here but snorkeling not so much.
Quote Reply
Re: Oahu vacation lodging Q [xterratri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! We're going to be doing our diving off of Kihei on Maui when we're with the family (the whole family is meeting up for a week, but the hubby and I are extending our trip). We plan on renting bikes on both Oahu and Maui and riding a lot if we can. We aren't surfers (or at least not well enough to be looking for big waves), so sounds like we'll be ok there. Trying to decide if we want to try riding from sea level to 10,000+ feet on Maui - I think it'd be a blast, but would certainly kick my ass! I guess we better start making some plans though - only 2 1/2 months till we're on a jet plane!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yo GF! We spent a week in Honolulu / Maui at Christmas. Probably won't do that again, just wayyy to crowded on Waikiki. Definitely get out of dodge for the North Shore.

If you end up having to stay in Waikiki, we stayed at the Moana Surfrider (Westin) re-done old hotel. Superb and great location. We did do some surfing as the beach there is great for beginers. Also, if you like to shop, you really can't beat the Waikiki strip. Holy moly, high end heaven!

Maui, I again stayed at the Westin in Kaanapali. Saw (with great jealousy) tons of people riding up there. Looks to be fine if you go early in the morning.
Quote Reply