Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT - Sorry...but does anyone know of a good bridal shop in the U.S. close to Canadian Border?
Quote | Reply
Hi so sorry if this is too off topic for here - gettin hitched! Yipee! We are trying to get married in a mere 4 months so everything is on fast forward (got engaged 2 weeks ago). I live in Toronto and it's much cheaper to buy a wedding dress in the U.S. from what my research tells me so far. Does anyone know of a good shop in either Detroit or Buffalo that they could recommend? I am not going for the bling, just something pretty plain but will still save a good deal of money by shopping over the border. Umm..to make this question more triathlon-y..ummm...I am missing running the Columbus Marathon now because we're getting married the day before and were both supposed to run it but this trumps the marathon...
thanks gals.
Quote Reply
Re: OT - Sorry...but does anyone know of a good bridal shop in the U.S. close to Canadian Border? [MagicGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
ummm...I am missing running the Columbus Marathon now because we're getting married the day before and were both supposed to run it but this trumps the marathon...
How come you guys aren't running it? I remember a couple that got married on Saturday then did IMC Sunday last year. It was awesome!

Quote | Reply
I guess we could and should, really, but it would be tight to get from our wedding in Toronto to columbus by the next morning. I guess if I was truly a bad-ass I should ;)...
Quote Reply
Re: OT - Sorry...but does anyone know of a good bridal shop in the U.S. close to Canadian Border? [MagicGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations. Sorry no help on the Detroit area (though if you were in Vancouver I could help with the PNW) but having gotten married last year and my sister getting married next year my recommendation would be to call a few stores and ask if they have dresses for sale off the rack. Wedding dresses take an amazingly long time to order in (4+ months) so given your time frame you may want to look for a store that has a good number of dresses available for sale "off the rack" so that you can purchase it then and there and then take it to a seamstress back in Toronto. Not every store sells off the rack or has a good number of dresses available so it might help to call in advance and ask and plan your trip around that. The other thing would be to check and see if any area stores are having trunk shows as you can usually buy the dress then and there from those events as well.

Good luck!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second lil'pups suggestion of calling shops and asking about sample sales, especially if you are an "easy" size. I only found out about these after ordering my dress and seeing a sale (at a different shop) and seeing some really good deals. Another idea that a friend of mine did is had a local vintage/consignment shop make her a dress. She spent a fraction of the money wedding dresses usually cost and got an amazing dress. I don't know about Toronto, but Portland has a large number of local designers with shops that would easily be able to do this.

Congratulations on your engagement!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also check out jcrew.com. They have some very fancy wedding dresses and some simple, elegant, but inexpensive ones. And on the upside, they come in normal J. Crew sizes as opposed to wacked-out bridal industry sizes. They do ship to Canada. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: OT - Sorry...but does anyone know of a good bridal shop in the U.S. close to Canadian Border? [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Girls - GREAT suggestions, thank you sooo much. I had no clue that you had to order so long in advance. After the first post, I called one store in Buffalo and the dress that I saw online takes a full 12 weeks to come in!! That is cutting it close I think. I will try all of your suggestions..thanks again.
Quote Reply