Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nursing and working out...
Quote | Reply
Hey! Anyone heard of your milk depleting if you workout too hard?? I have a 3 1/2 mo. old and heard this....makes me wonder.

Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated :)

Thanks!
Amy
Quote Reply
Re: Nursing and working out... [amully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I had this problem. I guess nursing requires a lot of extra calorie intake, and I couldn't eat and drink enough to do both nursing and running. I cut WAY back on exercising until I quit breast-feeding -- a healthy baby was a higher priority for a few months.
Quote Reply
Re: Nursing and working out... [irongirlk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for your feedback. I figured that was going on with me as well. I am in the same boat-i would rather my baby be well-nourished than me get my running fix ;)

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nursing requires an additional 500 calories of intake per day according to Dr. Sears. If you can swing that and not go too intense with the training, you should both be fine. Fenugreek is supposed to be great for boosting supply if needed. Congrats on choosing to nurse!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember the increase in the need to stay hydrated when nursing too. Not factoring in a workout, you're suppose to have 10 cups of water / day according to the Mayo Clinic site. I've noticed a definite correlation between my hydration and milk production.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I nursed and worked out with both my kids and did not have supply issues.
With a 3 1/2 month old you may be going through a growth spurt which is making it feel like your supply is dipping.
I agree with other posters that hydrating is a really big deal.
Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Nursing and working out... [mj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drink a lot of water and eat non-stop. I trained while BFing and was outputting 72 oz a day (yes...I was a cow).

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Nursing and working out... [jellyfish1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I trained while BFing and was outputting 72 oz a day

Awesome! Breastfeeding while training at high levels is very possible. I had some of my best seasons while breastfeeding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello - I worried about this too initially but I was just fine. I always kept my max intensity at maybe 90-95% as opposed to 100% - but I was able to train often and get fit very quickly. I actually ended up 10+ lbs lighter than before pregnancy and nursed my son until he was 16 months - never had milk production issues. That said, I always stayed very hydrated and consumed extra calories to make milk! But it all turned out great. On to #2 right now!

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply