Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Now that I've tasted road bike I can't swallow my hybrid in my tri next weekend
Quote | Reply
Hello eveyone, new to slowtwitch and new to Triathlon, I just did my first sprint last weekend and have 3 more sprints through Oct, with the next next weekend. I did my first on my 10 yr old hybrid Bianchi alum. Thought it was fast until I tested a road bike yesterday, a Specialized Dolce Elite Compact (@ $1K w/o pedals) and realized how much faster I could go. The guy at the LBS suggested going up to the Dolce triple but it's like $300 more.

I don't want to spend more than $1000 bucks, that is even more than I originally wanted to spend, I'm a BOP/MOP

Performance Bikes is having a great sale on Fuji Absolute Ladies Road Bikes 2.0 for @650 and that would include pedals and shoes. I test rode a model with drop handles and it was ok but not as nice as the Specialized.

Next I rode the Trek 1.2 wsd which I can get for @$820 (no pedals of course), I liked it a lot.

The Trek has Shimano Sora shifters and derailers, the Specialized Dolce Elite Shimano Tiagra everything, the Dolce Triple has Sora. The Fuji I think is a Sora/Tiagra mix too. But I hear Sora sucks and to be sure to get 105's, I just think that is too rich for my blood at the moment.

What's your advice, any others you'd recommend? What's a girl to do?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by: Playwithzoe: Aug 7, 09 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: Now that I've tasted road bike I can't swallow my hybrid in my tri next weekend [Playwithzoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. make sure it fits. do NOT choose price over fit. try to test ride anything you plan to buy, as the fits can be HUGELY different between bikes.
2. consider a used bike. often you can get a 3X nicer bike for the same price as a less swanky new model. EXAMPLE: i sold my Litespeed (titanium) tri bike with 2 sets of wheels including a set of Zipp 404's for $800). the bike was 8 years old, completely awesome and had Dura Ace.
3. get the nicest bike you can afford.
4. wait until retailers put the 2009 models on sale in Oct or so. i got my P3 for $700 off.

you do not need the triple. that is whooey. especially if you have a compact. the more you ride, the more you will improve.
Quote Reply
Re: Now that I've tasted road bike I can't swallow my hybrid in my tri next weekend [Playwithzoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you are planning on really really hilly rides, you shouldn't need a triple and compact. Hills are hard at first, but after a while you get used to them, and if you are riding them in easier gearing, you'll never get better at them.

I'd go with better components if you plan on riding for a while. I'd suggest 105 if you can afford it. If not then tiagra. My first bike was a specialize allez triple (similar to the dolce, but not the WSD). Three years later I upgraded the components from 105 to ultegra and the triple 9 speed to a double 10 speed. 6 years after I bought it I still ride it a lot. I bought a nice carbon road bike last year and rode it, but the frame cracked so I went back to the old specialized and now I almost have no desire to have the replacement frame bike built up again...it's sitting in my closet and has been for a few months.

Go with what ever bike you really like. You'll be less likely to want to trade up later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sora is the entry level of the Shimano gruppos, but it's not bad at all. My wife's first road bike was equipped with Sora and she had several AG wins and podiums on that bike at local sprint tris during her first two years in the sport, so it's not about the bike. The Sora always shifted well and she had zero problems with it. All things equal go with Tiagra for a similiar price point providing the rest of the bike is priced similiar.

Don't bother with the triple. You can specify compact cranks which have smaller chain rings and works just as good on hills and is lighter. That would be my suggestion. Talk to the bike shop about this. Compact cranks have a different bolt pattern but if they are not available ask to replace the standard 53/39 front rings with 50/38 and specify a 12/25 cassette or if you ride big hills a 12/27 cassette. If you live in a flat area then just keep the standard double 53/39.

The main thing is to get a bike that fits and is comfortable. That's more important than anything else. Once you get used to it get some shorty road bike geometry aero bars for tris. If your cycling experence is limited then look into joining a local roadie group that is friendly to beginners. You'll learn more about bike handling skills from riding with roadies than riding by yourself.

To look at the bikes you mentioned try going to roadbikereview.com and see if there are any reviews.
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Aug 8, 09 20:34
Quote Reply