Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Night sweats
Quote | Reply
Do any of you get night sweats? It is horrible! I've woken up and been actually slick on my arms and legs. I've gotten up in the middle of the night to change my t-shirt because it is wet and making me cold. Its been happening on and off for about 2 years now and doesn't follow a hormonal pattern. It happens any season.

Any ideas on how to deal with this? It is ruining my sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do a google. Lots of info on the net. I'll start you off with a basic primer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/.../Sleep_hyperhidrosis
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could it be related to medication? That's my first thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My meds have changed from where they were 1 year or 2 years ago. My thoughts as well but it doesn't add up.

I was tested for peri-menopause 2 years ago when they first became a problem but that wasn't it. Hmm....sounds like I should get back in for my annual check-up.

I was hoping someone would tell me that if I took Vitamin something they would go away. Damn.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gettin old lady!

Quote | Reply
Would the meds both sides of the change have that as a possible side effect? Maybe just one of those things you're prone to in terms of reacting to meds? I dunno....

Do they occur more during periods of stress? I often dream more vividly during periods of stress and have a couple of times woken up drenched during such dreams, but they don't happen very often for me so I'm not sure I can draw any real cause and effect there - just throwing that one out just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you eating enough?

I actually more or less bonked after a ride while walking my son up to the library. I scarfed what little food I had with me. I ended up being a very sweat dude in the children's section of the library, which made me feel kinda creepy :)
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shaddup beyotch. Said with love of course.

It is really frustrating. Last 2 nights have been like this and I'm actually not feeling stressed. Good idea though. Probably just time to get in and talk to the Dr.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been getting them on an off for a few years (I'm 41). I've noticed that they can be related to meds - mostly anti-depressants. I've tried several different ones and had side effects from all of them, and the side-effects could take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to show up. Just because you haven't changed anything doesn't mean that your body doesn't change the way it reacts to them.

One thing that I have noticed is that if the night sweats are medicine related, them I sweat mainly from my chest down; if they are hormone related then it is mostly from the chest up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be from higher caffeine intake and artificial sweetners. Of course, i don't know if you fall in that category but for me training more means more caffeine. Try no artificial sweetners and lowered caffeine for 7 days and if caused by this then they should go away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely go to the doc for a thorough check-up. When a patient says they are having night-sweats my knee-jerk is for a cancer/endocrine/rheum/infectious workup until a cause is found. Probably something benign (like hormonal) but just be safe!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [ultradstnc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When this happens to me, it usually stress related.....and you said that was not the cause, lucky dog!!!

The two natural minerals that I take, that help a lot are
1-magnesium ( this you can take only when the problem occurs-
2- Relora ( look this up on the net) I take Relora daily (3times a day...god how I remember sometimes is amazing) , but it lets you sleep and reduce the hot flashes. (Plus helps with weight management, a big plus for me)

It's worth a look into.
Good Luck

http://www.edgeventures.org
Websites for endurance athletes
Simple websites for Simple Wallets
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK. Good info to know. I'll call today.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, if they give you any good ideas or answers, will you share with the class? Happens to me too somewhat often. Here's the kicker - I'm not on any meds ('cept the 'Ring...which shouldn't count for much) and mine don't appear to coincide with the cycles OR stress. I'm MUCH less likely to sleep good when I'm stressed, but it doesn't appear to tie in with me waking up gross and slicky all over. Along your slick arms/legs line - I've woken up with my hair soaked....NOT a happy time!

The good news - when I sleep with that thing I call the boyfriend I at least have a furnace to blame it on!!! The bad news - I don't need a furnace, I apparently generate enough heat!

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto. I get a good dose of the night sweats mabye once a month. I am on zero meds. My diet is as clean as is possible wih the exception of a severe caffeine addiction. Stress exists, but I manage fine. I just wake up in a puddle. I've never bothered seeeing a doc about it because it usually goes away when I towel off and go back to sleep - although I usully try and slide my wife onto the wet spot first ;)

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank goodness I am not the only one!!!!!!!!!!!! My hubby & I both do on occasion so I am more thinking that the temp isn't right in the house, something we've eaten, working out later, etc. They usually don't happen on the same nights, but we've actually had to change the sheets out for him before. He's a furnace, I am other than my cold feet, and then we have a 14lb Bichon Frise who is a little heater herself (Lucy Wiggles).

I am going to check into that Relora stuff...

let us know what you find out!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea - Ditto on everything you said. Same things happens to me and its been occuring for the last 10+ years. I'm not taking a single med, my life is relatively low-stress, I get plenty of sleep and I eat very healthy. I once read that being in a dehydrated state can lead to night sweats, which seems to make sense with me, but I think I read that on a forum so who knows if it's true. Maybe it is just hormonal fluctuations. I googled 'night sweats' many, many times, and never do I see causes listed that would explain why I get them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get TERRIBLE night sweats. (DH calls them "schweaty problems") I will wake up, and can actually wring out the sheets. I soak down through the mattress pad.

Usually what wakes me up is the sweat trickling down off of me. I HATE it. I'm sweaty--yet I'm FREEZING and there's no dry spot left on the bed (on my half, anyway).

I am on antidepressants, but I've had this problem long before that. I have noticed it's worse during my period, though. I'm glad to know I'm not alone!

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M... is for that special time in a woman's life...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
although I usully try and slide my wife onto the wet spot first ;)
Wow... just wow.

Quote | Reply
Is there any pattern that you can relate to what you ate or drank? Booze can have that affect. So can spicy food.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Definitely go to the doc for a thorough check-up. When a patient says they are having night-sweats my knee-jerk is for a cancer/endocrine/rheum/infectious workup until a cause is found. Probably something benign (like hormonal) but just be safe!

Jodi

Dr Jodi, what do you prescribe for a case of the meat sweats?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Night sweats [Hid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't figured out a pattern. Three days ago I ran at around 1:00 pm, night sweats. Two days ago I ran at 7 pm. night sweats. Yesterday I ran around 4:00, no night sweats. I'm wearing basically the same thing each night, a tanktop. Not even full PJs. I don't drink and don't eat really spicy food.

It is all so frustrating.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get night sweats a lot during college (about once a week) when I was in heavy training (D1 swimmer) and then about once every month or so since then (about 10 years). It's not menopause or period related and I asked another friend of mine (same age) who is a top triathlete was a D1 college runner and she said "OMG! the same thing happens to me!" Don't know what it's from, but I wake up drenched everywhere and usually have to change my clothes.

Team Danbury Audi - Triplet Mommy!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go to the doctor...its probably not but night sweats can be a sign of Lymphoma...best to get those things ruled out so you can find the actual root cause and work on that....
Quote Reply

Prev Next