Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to Ft Walton Beach/Destin Area
Quote | Reply
Hey ladies--Just landed in the Ft Walton Beach area! Looking for some tri-gals/guys to keep me motivated for Silverman (HIM) in November. I went to Dragon Sports today and got info on the Emerald Coast cyclists and a Master's Swim Team (Baracudas w/ Pam). But I what I would like to know is what does a gal have to do to find some hills? :-) Based on my schedule, I will probably have to do a lot of riding and running solo--so I could use your help to find different places to do my training. BTW--can someone please turn off the HUMIDITY down here? :-)
Quote Reply
Re: New to Ft Walton Beach/Destin Area [ugogrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Northwest Florida and lower Alabama are flat - you will need to go further north in Alabama, Georgia or south in Florida to Clermont area to find decent hills. I used my computrainer when we lived up your way. Now live in central Florida close to Clermont so hills are easy to come by. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take FL 285 from Niceville to Mossy Head and then go north from there. It's not hilly by just about anyone else's use of the term, but it's decidedly not pancake flat, and 285 is pretty cyclist-friendly because you don't have to worry about cross roads. If you want bigger hills, you kind of need to plan a weekend trip into central to northern Georgia or Alabama.

The humidity normally kicks off for the season somewhere between September 23 and October 7.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm over in Panama City and sometimes drive out to Bruce for some "hills." It'd be a little bit of a drive for you too, but it's an option.
Quote Reply