Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Saddle Questions
Quote | Reply
For anyone who has tried the v-flow, or any new saddle for that matter...

I got re-fit on my tri bike on Saturday and had to get a new saddle because apparently mine had worn down on the right side and was now lopsided...nice. I was having post-ride swelling at the very top of my right inner thigh more this year than in the past, but it was not bothering me during the ride so I wasn't thinking much about it. My seat has never felt awesome, but after a few weeks back in it each season, it never bothered me too much either. I had a ravx athena.

They put a John cobb v-flow on the other day and during the fit it felt very similar in shape to my old one, and even felt like maybe the inner thigh stuff wouldn't be as much of an issue. I could tell there was going to be more pressure in the front while in aero, but figured some of that would just take getting used to.

Sooo....yesterday I rode 90 miles. For the first part of the ride the seat was fine, but as can be expected, it got a little less and less comfortable as the ride went on, but still never awful. The front pressure was there, but didn't keep me out of aero. I kept feeling a bit of pinching on the right side, but it seemed to go away temporarily when I moved my shorts around. Overall, during the ride, I would have probably given it a comfort level of a 5 out of 10, but I would say 7 is as good as I have ever felt on any seat.

So a few hours after the ride, everything was a different story. I was generally swollen everywhere - thinking that is from the new nose pressure, but also still had some of the right side swelling on my inner thigh and then had my first ever soft tissue injury or whatever you would want to call it - turns out the pinching was more serious than it seemed and now there is a lovely sore there. I guess chamois butter might be able to help that, but I've never had to use it in the past.

sooo...after this novel of a seat story, question is, how long do you usually give a new seat before saying it isn't for you, and what pains are a normal part of breaking in a new seat and what pains would make you think no way, this seat isn't going to work?

Re: New Saddle Questions [KWTriGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to be clear, you got re-fit and added a new saddle on Saturday then rode 90miles the next day?

Quote | Reply
Kathleen,

Johnny at TOTR told me to give mine two weeks before I switched it out. Whenever he fitted me about 3 weeks ago, I was complaining about the saddle that was on the bike whenever I got it. Now, after riding for a while, I decided after the ride on Sunday that I'm done. I ordered a Selle SMR (i think so at least) from Performance that afternoon. If that doesn't work after the 2 weeks, I'll likely go to TOTR to see what my other options are.

Cassie
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Questions [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yes, that is the case.

Was considering waiting until after IMCDA, but am very glad I went in when I did because there were some things that needed to be changed in a big way. The new position is great, except for the seat, which I wouldn't even classify as awful...I just don't remember what the new seat process is like. I might also try an ISM, but they said there is no way they would have put me on one of those before a 90 mile ride. I may try one during the week on a shorter ride. All my weekend rides are going to be 90+ for the next 6 or so weeks, so it isn't the best time to be trying to figure this out, and I had no intention of getting a new saddle, but I also didn't know mine had worn and shifted so badly to one side either.

I may see if they can order a new one like my old one if I decide after a few more rides that I don't like the v-flow....but they don't carry the ravx brand in the shop yet so I'm not sure if they would hang on to it after I ordered it if I decided I wanted to stick with the v-flow. Decisions, decisions....

Re: New Saddle Questions [KWTriGrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious if you ended up switching from the V Flow Plus, and if so, to what? Or did it get better over time? I've done 3 short (<30 mile rides) on the V Flow Plus and I too feel a lot of pressure up front while in aero- it's like the seat has 2 knobs sticking up on the front? Really digs in to me, but I wouldn't call it chafing or soft tissue damage, just pressure I guess. I'll give it more time due to the generous return policy, but I'm wondering if you ever got more comfortable on it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Saddle Questions [Lilac J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a new one of the saddle I had originally, which I would give a 6 or 7 on a scale of 1-10. It gets better each season but sucks when I'm off of it for any length of time. I rode CDA with no pain whatsoever the entire 112 miles, then took 2 weeks off and the measley 40 mile ride I did almost killed me. But I think that is more of a me issue than a saddle issue, but who knows.

The one I had before and have again now is the Ravx Athena: http://www.ravx.com/..._saddles/athena.html

It is narrower than a lot of them, and I find I need narrow over wide...