Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need help picking MTB for GF
Quote | Reply
Hey Womens!

I would like to get a bike for my GF. We have "road bikes", so this would be more of a MTB style. She wants a bike she can ride around town, but also take on trails to do very low key off road stuff....mainly fire roads and well groomed trails. Budget is flexible.
Thanks,
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Re: Need help picking MTB for GF [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before we can start suggesting bikes, a few more details would be nice. How tall is she and how much experience does she have riding? Do you currently MTB and hope to get her riding with you on the trails? Or is sticking with the fire roads honestly what the plan is? And what is the true budget - because in mountain bikes, money buys light weight and light weight means more fun, espcially with some of the women's bikes

Vale!
Tracy T
http://www.thelencoaching.com
Some light reading::: http://www.tracythelen.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Need help picking MTB for GF [Tracy T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tracy T wrote:
Before we can start suggesting bikes, a few more details would be nice. How tall is she and how much experience does she have riding? Do you currently MTB and hope to get her riding with you on the trails? Or is sticking with the fire roads honestly what the plan is? And what is the true budget - because in mountain bikes, money buys light weight and light weight means more fun, espcially with some of the women's bikes

All good points. Sorry for the lazy post...on call and getting slammed.
She has zero experience.
She is 5'4, 120
Light trail riding and the rest hybrid type...around town, etc
Under 1k$
HC

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At her height, I would look for 26" on a nice HT bike - or maybe even the 27.5 HT. No need for the full sus with that kind of riding plans. I know some people will say you should go 29er -but I would say not at her height and at your budget. The weight of the bike will be crazy and she will have difficulty pedaling up hill - cheaper 29er bikes, even in the women's specific are about 30lbs. It's also a lot harder to maneuver the longer wheel base around tight corners and requires more strength to get over some obstacles. Find one that fits first, then analyze what you can afford. Specialized only makes 29ers now, so although I love their bikes, I would suggest looking elsewhere. (unless you want to really surprise her with the small Fate - carbon 29er HT that's light, fast and fun. But also way outside price range...) Giant has a 27.5 Women's HT that's about 1500 with decent components and such. I really haven't researched MTBs in that price range too much :)

I would stick with a real MTB, not a hybrid, so if she does start wanting to do more, she can. Hybrids aren't really fun for most trails and even some of the fire roads around here. Absolute must - disc brakes. Doesn't matter if they are mechanical or hydrolic, but the disc brakes provide the stopping power needed for gravel, trails and wet conditions. Anything Shimano or SRAM for components will hold up for years under those riding conditions. The budget buster will be the fork - better quality = more $, but a smoother and more fun ride.

Hope that gets you started with the hunt.

Vale!
Tracy T
http://www.thelencoaching.com
Some light reading::: http://www.tracythelen.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a super sweet Felt XC-1 HT bike on the ST classifieds for less than your budget, I am short (5'6") but longer legged/shorter torso, this is a 15.5" frame (I prefer a smaller frame in general, I ride a 49cm road frame). If I were going to ride less trails and more gravel roads/tooling around town, I would prolly put on skinnier wheels/tires, less agressive grippy ties, but that's easy to change. Find a frame that fits well - just like a road or tri bike right? ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Need help picking MTB for GF [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the great tips!
HC

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Kona HT that I LOVE. I'm not a big singletrack rider - I really like the fire roads, cat tracks on the ski hill and the occasional single track and it's a great bike, not too heavy, and I don't need the rear suspension. Can't help you on the size etc, but I really like my Kona.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some of the trails I ride on my HT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk9h-YtoW8E and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf0K3YO_0UM

Granted I have some limits on the drops I can take on the downhill, and climbing anything technical requires a lot of focus, but the HT works fine for me. One thing I did notice is that because this is a pretty light mtb (22lbs), I can get bucked around a bit. But it's very good for climbing (which I enjoy almost as much as descending).

Just another datapoint.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the others above, I would also recommend a 26er HT. I am a bit shorter than your GF and built similar to Andy - all legs and no torso and as much as I wanted a 29er, I couldn't get one to fit correctly. I am intrigued by the 650b but considering I dropped quite a bit of money the 26er I race, I am not even going to think about upgrading at this time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We picked up a Cannondale Trail SL 29er on Craigs List for my fiance last year for $500. I've ridden it a few times and like it. It's quite light, and it climbs extremely well.
Quote Reply