Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need help organizing tri and otherwise
Quote | Reply
Hi, I have not been posting much lately, my tri identity has been temporarily usurped by that of being a caregiver. I feel like I am way outclassed and out of my league in trying to organize my life with some of the recent complications. I do hope to have a mini-season this year. I'm down, but not out :-)

In the past - I have learned so much from message boards such as this one, where you share with others who have a similar mind-set and goal. In fact, I feel that there is something special about message boards, that hits me in the exact best way that I learn. Books, youtubes, lessons, none of that has ever helped me as much as reading message boards when it comes to tackling a task. I even paid $200 for a "professional organizer" to help me, but it seemed like a waste of money actually.

In that vein, I came here to ask, does anyone know of any similar sorts of forums or websites for organizing? I just suck at it so bad, the whole issue overwhelms me. If it was just about tri I'd post here, but I've got a lot of other stuff going on. Kind of like training for an Ironman, I would love to find an online place where I can read and learn at my own pace as I slowly get up to speed. It is also empowering to be able to share as you go along and be able to reach out and help as you are being helped.

Thanks for any ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help organizing tri and otherwise [WeRide] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you mean organizing your stuff or organizing your time? I am also totally unorganized and have always tried and wished that I was one of those naturally organized people. But then one day I read something that totally changed my perspective. If you are not a naturally organized person, your goal should NOT be to become super-organized. Instead, your goal should be to have less stuff. I have taken that to heart and have focused my energy on getting rid of stuff I don't need rather than trying to learn how to organize it all.

Jessica
Quote Reply
Re: Need help organizing tri and otherwise [Jessica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jessica, that's comforting. I guess I'd say "stuff" since that is more of a concrete entity. Come to think of it, any website where ppl write in talking about how organized they are, is probably wretched and boring as F.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not an organized person but I've come up with lots of compensating behaviors to help me fake it pretty well!

Most of my clocks at home are fast so that when I'm leaving 5 minutes late for the bus I'm actually on time. I give my self extra time to get out the door, I need to leave by 7:40 to get to get to work on time but tell myself I'll be late if I don't leave by 7:30 (I'm gullible enough I can fool myself). If it should only take me 20 minutes to get ready for a ride I still give myself 40.

I also try not to over-book my time and pack too many things into one day. And I try to take one a day a week to get stuff done - laundry, shopping, etc. Easy for me, however, as I don't have kids or people depending on me so I can set my own schedule.

I use Google Calendar to schedule stuff and make sure that I have multiple reminders emailed to myself so I don't forget (still missed a hair appointment this week though - DOH!).

Lists are my friend, especially for things like packing for a triathlon that involve lots of stuff. I have a list I did up in 2005 (and laminated as a way to test our new laminator at work) and I still use it for every race.

As the other poster mention, having less stuff helps too. Big Brothers did a clothing pick-up last week and it was a great excuse to get rid of a bunch of clothes.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm the same way. I am horrible about organization. Here are a few things I do:

Sign up for auto bill pay on as many accounts as I can. I honestly forget to pay bills.

I created a Google calendar for my hubby and I. We get totally turned around on who is going where that we couldn't keep up. We are pretty good about updating it but still find unexpected conflicts.

I have big wicker trunks and Rubbermade containers. I categorize them: winter clothes, summer clothes, random winter stuff and backpacks and the other is my running/exercising. Everything gets thrown in those. I don't even bother trying to organize what is in there, I just put the stuff "away".

I have yet to solve the "too much papers on the dining table" problem.

I will get my stuff together the night before events/work and leave it by the front door so I don't forget it. If I try to do it in the morning I am ALWAYS late. I never seem to set aside enough time.

I have a small bag of running stuff that I just grab and take with me when I go for a run. Has my Garmin, RoadID, headphones, etc so I don't have to gather it all up. Sadly I don't always remember to put stuff back.

When I was still doing tri's I kept my transition bag stocked with the things I needed for every race. Extra goggles, extra swim cap, gels, etc. Made getting ready much easier and I always had what I needed at the last minute.

I'm working on getting rid of stuff.

None of that is 100% effective but it helps me not do bozo things.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply