Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need a women's shoe recommendation
Quote | Reply
Ok ladies, my cycling shoes are just downright nasty. I have soaked them in bleach and oxyclean, and while this does work as a temporary fix for about a week, these things really do just need to be replaced.

I'm having a hard time finding a shoe I like. These are the Pearl Izumi Tri Fly 3's. I bought a pair of the 4's, and they just don't feel the same - they kind of hurt (dig into my ankle), plus I don't like the strap (seems too short for shoes-on-the-bike transitions).

What shoes do you ladies wear, and would you recommend them?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Need a women's shoe recommendation [redmeeple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Louis Garneau TriLite, but I get it in the men's version rather than the women's. They make them as small as size 35 or 36, and they are by far the most comfortable and durable cycling shoes I've ever owned. After two years of abusing my last pair, I just ordered a replacement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont have smelly feet/shoes syndrome but wear Keen Commuter Sandals with clips. They are as ugly as sin but allow for air to flow through. If you use SPD, I highly recommend them.

Quote | Reply
http://www.swimoutlet.com/...Aiw&gclsrc=aw.ds

I have an older version of this. Nice wide toe box. My feet were always numb and pinched in Sidi's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have these and have been really happy with them, although I don't attempt any fancy 'moving bike while putting shoes on' maneuvers. I do like the fact that I only ever need to do the top strap up (which is handy over the cooler months when I refuse to take my toe covers off) and there's also an endless selection of footbeds, shims & other bits & pieces to assist with fit if needed.

http://www.specialized.com/...mn/womensspiritaroad

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched from Sidi to Specialized in 2010 and haven't looked back. Their body geometry stuff is legit - decent toe box (compared to Sidi) and a variety of insoles to meet your needs. I have an older version of this (I think?) -
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/shoes/womens-road-shoes/womens-tourch

Haven't done enough shorter races since then to make the tri-specific shoes necessary (and don't do shoes-on-bike transitions), but I'd give their tri line a, um, try.

As far as "nasty," I assume that's because you're always going sock-free? What about wearing socks for most of your training rides, and going without sometimes for race simulation? At a minimum, I'd air them out directly in the sun after rides, exposing as much of the inside as possible. Sun will help kill the smelly bacteria - that's what friends who use cloth diapers do... and if they can get those to stop stinking... think of the possibilities for your bike shoes ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Need a women's shoe recommendation [kbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also love specialized - been using them for 5-6 years - both the road and tri shoes.

kbird wrote:
I switched from Sidi to Specialized in 2010 and haven't looked back. Their body geometry stuff is legit - decent toe box (compared to Sidi) and a variety of insoles to meet your needs. I have an older version of this (I think?) -
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/shoes/womens-road-shoes/womens-tourch

Haven't done enough shorter races since then to make the tri-specific shoes necessary (and don't do shoes-on-bike transitions), but I'd give their tri line a, um, try.

As far as "nasty," I assume that's because you're always going sock-free? What about wearing socks for most of your training rides, and going without sometimes for race simulation? At a minimum, I'd air them out directly in the sun after rides, exposing as much of the inside as possible. Sun will help kill the smelly bacteria - that's what friends who use cloth diapers do... and if they can get those to stop stinking... think of the possibilities for your bike shoes ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the Pearl Izumi Trifly 3 too, love them. Maybe you can find some online?
Quote Reply
Re: Need a women's shoe recommendation [kbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbird wrote:

I bought a Peet shoe drier last year. I was hesitant as they are not cheap, but it does a great job of helping to minimize the odors. I guess if they dry faster, the bacteria does not get a chance to divide and conquer : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went through the cycling shoe replacement ordeal. First I ordered SIDIs because that's what I had for several years and they had been great. HATED the new SIDIs - they seem much larger and more shapeless. I went back to the store and tried everything. The Louis Garneau are great value for money, but I tried the Bontrager Hilo and was sold. They're very snug and fitted, but the Velcro closure closes up faster if, like me, you leave your shoes on your bike and slip your feet in when you start rolling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized S-Works for road
Specialized Trivent Expert for racing

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
redmeeple wrote:
Ok ladies, my cycling shoes are just downright nasty. I have soaked them in bleach and oxyclean, and while this does work as a temporary fix for about a week, these things really do just need to be replaced.

I'm having a hard time finding a shoe I like. These are the Pearl Izumi Tri Fly 3's. I bought a pair of the 4's, and they just don't feel the same - they kind of hurt (dig into my ankle), plus I don't like the strap (seems too short for shoes-on-the-bike transitions).

What shoes do you ladies wear, and would you recommend them?

Thanks!

I think I'm wearing some Shimano shoe but have been looking for a Lake or Northwave at a decent price (used on Ebay) as I have wide feet and always get men size.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply