Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My wife was asked to do the Irongirl Duo...
Quote | Reply
2 mile run, 22 bike, 2 mile run. She's been speed walking on the treadmill in the basement for up to an hour at a time, so I know she could knock out the run, and she enjoys riding a moutain bike that weighs 30 pounds. It's not until September and already she's having doubts. How do I help her with bringing that athlete that's inside her more to the surface? I know, start really slow, be encouraging, don't push, etc. Any other things I should consider from the gals side? I'll be upgrading the bike for her this spring probably to a road bike with a straight bar instead of drops. I don't think we'll be having her clip in anytime this year.
Are there any women videos that encourage the non-athlete in non-threatening way?

Thanks,

Jim.
Quote Reply
Re: My wife was asked to do the Irongirl Duo... [jamma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before I completed my 1st sprint triathlon, I did my own triathlon workout. I swam in the pool, rode my bike, then ran the distances of the event. This helped my confidence tremendously and let me know that I could do it. Can you help her do the workouts over an afternoon? She doesn't have to do them all at once but just in one day. Best thing for easing the jitters! I hope you get her a great bike!

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does she have a friend that might want to train for it too? Someone to share the fears with. I know that you will be uber-supportive but I think having a buddy might be a good way to go.

And tell her the Womens say, "You can do it!!"

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give her props/pep talks when she is training or at other times, when she isn't talking about being nervous/apprehensive. Sometimes my husband will give me a congrats after a training week where I didn't miss any workouts or was able to last longer on the trainer than him (which is most of the time), which i think is more effective than him saying the same stuff when I am feeling scared about my upcoming races. Sometimes the out of the blue compliments have more impact.

But I agree with the idea about having her do the distance one day, or even part of the distance in the spring - because then even if she accomplishes most of the distance, she still has a lot of time to improve. People tend to get scared/nervous about the unknown.
Quote Reply
Re: My wife was asked to do the Irongirl Duo... [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, she was invited along with a group of 3 other gals who are in the same situation. Not really athletic, but all relatively fit, so I'm sure they'll lean on each other as they work on this thru spring/summer until Sept.
As for a bike, hmmm, unfortuately we'll have to let the budget dictate that. I'm thinking we could squeeze $700, which should be a decent entry level road bike. I don't think I'd want to introduce her into drops just yet, rather a straight bar for that mtn bike feel/control, but skinnier tires/less weight for a more enjoyable ride for distance. Maybe something like this?
http://www.eriksbikeshop.com/...poffset=2&s_id=0
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you in a place that has lots/some one day bike "tours" offering rides of varying lengths this summer? I think those are really fun. If you can get her and her friends signed up for some of those, she'll have a lot of confidence on race day because she'll probably be biking metric centuries by the end of the summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Irongirl series races are a great way to introduce first timers to racing against the clock-your upgrade will make a huge difference to her w/out making her nervous. I think she'll be fine; Sept is a loooong way off :) make sure she does some biking to the run/walk transitions "at her pace" so she gets the feeling of wobbly legs and practice her hydration is another biggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some inspiration (I find inspiring):

The Hoyts:
http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=channel

The Crawl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTn1v5TGK_w

We can do anything and achieve anything if we believe. We may not always end up with the results we desire but in the end an achievement WILL be there.

Best of luck to your wife!
Leslie

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
2 mile run, 22 bike, 2 mile run. She's been speed walking on the treadmill in the basement for up to an hour at a time, so I know she could knock out the run, and she enjoys riding a moutain bike that weighs 30 pounds. It's not until September and already she's having doubts. How do I help her with bringing that athlete that's inside her more to the surface? I know, start really slow, be encouraging, don't push, etc. Any other things I should consider from the gals side? I'll be upgrading the bike for her this spring probably to a road bike with a straight bar instead of drops. I don't think we'll be having her clip in anytime this year.

Hi when i did my first sprint tri last year i was jittery, my son who is a sports coach sat me down and asked what are you afraid of mum?? not finishing, having to walk to the finish? he assured me that i had nothing to prove, the fact that i agreed to do the race ment that a part of me knew i could and that i wanted too.Your wife knows she can do it, she just needs reasured and the best way to get that is seeing results in her training even the small mile stones are very encouraging, as for the bike my hubby bought me a road bike i had never rode anything but my mountain bike and now i want a tri bike, have you asked her about the bike?? there is no hurry i trained on my mountain bike for 3 months before changing. Also i have a wonderful training plan for a Du if you want it. i have my hubby doing it he was over 220 pounds and could not run a mile now he is 206 and running 4 one month in. good luck

Are there any women videos that encourage the non-athlete in non-threatening way?

Thanks,

Jim.
Quote Reply
Re: My wife was asked to do the Irongirl Duo... [albarina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you in a place that has lots/some one day bike "tours" offering rides of varying lengths this summer? I think those are really fun. If you can get her and her friends signed up for some of those, she'll have a lot of confidence on race day because she'll probably be biking metric centuries by the end of the summer.

Agree! Also see if she's interested in a 5K or short distance duathlon. I did several of these types of races before my first sprint and it was great to see what race atmosphere was all about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this the Iron Girl Du in Bloomington, MN? If so, the last couple of years there has been a training group led by some women from the local tri club. They ride the course several times as well as the run. Agree with others who have suggested getting out and riding. The Twin Cities Multisport Club will be having several rides this summer, one can always do a shorter length and there are always a lot of people of various abilities. The race is very "newbie" friendly.
Quote Reply
Re: My wife was asked to do the Irongirl Duo... [lmnilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bloomington, yes. I like the group ride idea and was also thinking of signing us up for a walk/run 5k so she can see what it's like. She's watched me at a few races, but she admitted she payed more attention to the eye candy than me. Guess I've got more work to do, eh? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about having her sign up over on BT? They are pretty friendly, you-go-girl bunch, and there is a MN specific board, as well. I know some of them are talking about doing an "unofficial beginner's tri" in May... She's not doing a tri, but I bet if she wanted to meet up with the group and do just the run/ride and social time she'd be mroe than welcome.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply