Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
My next adventure
Quote | Reply
My brain is finally switching away from Ironman and on to my next adventure, crewing for a runner at Badwater Ultramarathon. I'll be blogging about when I have internet access. In Death Valley, that means a couple days of silence.

The race dates are 7/14 - 7/17. I fly to Vegas on 7/12 and come home 7/18.

You can track our progress at: http://ritabadwater.blogspot.com/

I did this last year and loved it although our runner was completely nuts. I love Death Valley and the weather looks perfect, 115 degrees during the day.

Woohoo!! Can't wait!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: My next adventure [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FUN!!! Can't wait to read all about it.

I've never been to Death Valley but am going this fall for a century ride. Can't wait.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the weather looks perfect, 115 degrees during the day.

I can't possibly fathom how you put these two statements together...

Have "fun" out there!
you crazy whack job...

:)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll have different fun than I had crewing at the Leadville 100. 3 Colorado mountain passes and that year included swampy mud up to almost my knees!

I'll have to get a little more demented before I try running at 3:00 a.m. on a rutted trail in the dark.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you seen "Running on the Sun"?
What a great new adventure!!
Quote Reply
Re: My next adventure [kitboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, that is what got me started on this whole quest to do Badwater. I've wanted to do it for about 5 years now and my crewing is all in prep for applying to get in.

I can't wait!!

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I'd love to do that some day (both the crewing and racing) :)

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity....what are your credentials so far? marathon, 50 miles, 100k etc?
Quote Reply
Re: My next adventure [emmaruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not running Badwater, just crewing. I'm shooting for 2010 to run.

I've done 3 Ironmans, a 50 miler, 2 50ks and a 12 hour. Five marathons as well.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did someone (new) just question your credentials? I'm confused.

Quote | Reply
I don't mean to be negative here....but do you think that is enough time to build up for a race like that?

I did my first marathon 10 years ago and currently I am in the 6.55-7.0 hour range on 50 miles (doing my 27th next month)....I do NOT feel prepared for either a 100 miler or Badwater
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two years with that as my sole focus, all races leading up to it, yes. Those Ironmans, the ultras and 4 marathons have all been in the last 3 years. I'm pretty tough.

Thanks for the concern though.

Jen

Quote Reply
Re: My next adventure [cuds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Give me a break. Doing Badwater is pretty major and I was just asking what she has done so far. As an ultrarunner, I am pretty interested in hearing what people are doing and what kind of background they have. From my understanding, most 100s, and Badwater, require a little bit more than doing a few marathons in 5-6 hour range and 1hr+ 10ks. I have no idea what Jenhs is capable of doing (and the examples above do not refer to her).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think what rubbed us the wrong was is that you registered today and the first thing we hear from you is pretty negative. I hear what you are saying about these events being major, I'm not out of touch, but perhaps not asking it in a way that questions my capabilities would have been a better approach.

Last I checked, also, running a fast 50 isn't a sole qualification for doing a 100 either. Everyone takes on challenges in their own way. You not feeling ready doesn't mean that I can't be.

I am also always interested in hearing what other runners are up to and I welcome any conversation around training and racing.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I've watched Running on the Sun way too many times so I'm really interested. In addition, I listened to Rita Barnes being interview on the Trails and Tribulations podcast some time ago and thought she was incredible. Good luck and have a great time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what a great adventure! I did a 110 mile ride across there as part of a bike trip across the country. it was such a long ride because there obviously was NOWHERE to stop! It was a billion degrees riding, so i give these ultra people even more credit for running it. tell your runner good luck!

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: My next adventure [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
the weather looks perfect, 115 degrees during the day.

I can't possibly fathom how you put these two statements together...

Have "fun" out there!
you crazy whack job...

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>..I do NOT feel prepared for either a 100 miler or Badwater<<

I know guys who have won 50 milers and been top 5 in various 100 milers. They never really feel prepared for Badwater either.

Maybe you could give us your results?

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: trackie clm: Jul 7, 08 8:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like fun to crew, but girl you are nuts when you say you want to "DO" Badwater, yikes!! ;-) I hate running in the heat (have an 18miler planned for today and it will probably be about 100 when I'm finished) and that is xtreme type of heat. All I can say is for about a yr..acclimate, acclimate, acclimate your body to heated conditions.

N~
Quote Reply
Re: My next adventure [kitkat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I get in, whatever year that is, I'll be buying a sauna. Right now I'm driving around in my car with my heater blasting. Worked OK for last year. I'll be hanging in the sauna at the gym tonight too.

Key for crewing is to be sure I'm taking care of myself as well as the runner. My friend who does this with me and I have an arrangement that we look out for each other. She makes sure I'm taking my Endurolytes while I'm out there pacing and vice versa.

This is gonna be fun!

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another ultrarunner here...now you say you run 50s under 7 hours. If this is true, then you are likely winning and placing most 50s you enter, as these are fast times. Good for you, but this doesnt really qualify you to compare your experience and preparedness to anyone else.
It would seem to me you are not prepared for a 100 or badwater not for lack of experience or fitness, but lack of that X factor, the WHY we run far and want to push ourselves beyond what is normal/sane. And there is nothing wrong with that as its not for everyone. Ive done several 50s and a couple of 100s, I have no desire to do Badwater as it does not appeal to my strengths or what I would like to do, but I admire those that do.
THe participants list at Badwater has runner from all different backgrounds. THere is no number of races or qualifying time one must to to be 'prepared' for Badwater. When you are ready to do apply for it, you will know. And this is more of a mental thing, than checking off how many races you have done.
It sounds like you are a speedy and acccomplished 50 mile runner, but as an ultrarunner I am surprised you would comment like this and attempt to undermine someone's confidence like this as this is not an attitude I have ever come across in my years of running ultras. Usually the attitude is more supportive. But tell us more, not too many women run under 7 consistently. What races have you done?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are one crazy broad, kiddo! but since you're also my hero, it's all good. let me know if you need an extra hand on your crew in 2010. and go get 'em!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds fab!! Have a great time. Although, I would totally croak in that heat! And I lived in the Phoenix area for 3 years. Yikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're ready to Pahrtay in the desert sauna wonderland. You go at it girl. I would just sweat to death and literally turn into one big giant stinky puddle if I had my heat on in the car this time of yr. Crazy girl that you are. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow-you GO girl!

I am once again awed by the women here.

Have fun and stay safe :-)

Em

------------------------------------------------------------
Bra Diva
Find a sports bra that won't let you down!
www.BraDiva.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next