Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My back is killing me!
Quote | Reply
Any advice on what to do with lower back pain? I strained my back while doing strength workout and have been coping with lower back pain for 5 days now. Going crazy here with muscle spasms and not being able to move around comfortably. Have taken Aleve, done heat pad, ice pack, rested, stretched, quiropractor but pain is still there. I have a small race in 13 days and already missed last week and it looks like I will be out thks week too. Please advice ideas help!
Last edited by: spintela: Mar 2, 15 16:54
Quote Reply
Re: My back is killing me! [spintela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PT - the needles that hurt (ART) was what got me off the couch and moving again. Chiro & massage got me back to working out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time, and preventing re-injury.

Rest is generally recommended until severe pain subsides. That means being horizontal with a small towel under the lower back on a hard surface on your back, or just on your stomach (prone) as much as you can. I have found that keeping my low back arched (in lordosis) helps recover a back strain quicker, as it helps relax the paraspinal muscles for me. Your physician may prescribe muscle relaxants, which can be helpful if you have severe spasms.

Length of recovery generally will depend on how severe the strain is, can be days or weeks.

I hope you can do your race.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Massage! preferably from an ART practitioner.

Can you be more specific about where the pain is?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: My back is killing me! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pain is in my lumbar with tightness in my glutes. Thanks for the replies and recomendations.
Last edited by: spintela: Mar 2, 15 18:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
google "sacroiliac joint dysfunction" and see if that fits... I've had a PT fix that for me before; they can adjust the hips back into place.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of thoughts. First, from what you're describing, it sounds like you need to see a doc. Find a sport doc who understands your needs. Second, plan on canceling the race until/unless you get medically cleared first.

I've been dealing with a back injury--worsened by redlining it in a sprint race (done with med clearance)--that has kept me from racing for nearly three years and led to significant loss of function in just about every area of my life.

I don't want to scare you. On the other hand, I want you to understand the potential seriousness of your situation. Please don't fool around with you back--once it's blown up, it will never be the same.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: My back is killing me! [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for reply I have had back pain before but never like this and lasting so long. Race is so unimportant that I dont mind not doing it at all. I am going today for second back adjustment and PT massage. But I was suggested to taka an xray of my lower back from L1-L5 just to see what is happening and that everything is ok. Will go se Orthopedic doctor tomorrow for that. I bow to people who suffer back issues on a daily basis.
Last edited by: spintela: Mar 4, 15 9:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few relatively minor problems in my lower back that have started to become really painful in the last 6 months..bulging disk, bone spurs and a small subluxation at L5. I tried massage, ART etc.. which helped to some degree, but only for a few days. I tried stretching etc... that seemed to help a little. 4 weeks ago after running a 15k on cement and absolutely killing my back, I bought the PIYO dvd series. It's a combo of Pilates and Yoga. It has helped tremendously. I'd done yoga before, but this seems to be more effective. I still get sore as I tend to overdo it when it feels better, but it recovers much faster. I think weakened core muscles and gluts due to loss of muscle mass post menopause and tight hips probably exacerbated my back issues.
Last edited by: lam: Mar 16, 15 8:43
Quote Reply