Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Multi-vitamin
Quote | Reply
Wondering if any of you have found a really great multi-vitamin for 40 something triathlon types?
I actually gave up after looking the other day as the selection is pretty overwhelming. At 46, I have a harder time controlling my weight, so I was looking at some of the mutli's with added chromium, but I have read that they can make you feel nauseated. Not what I need with all of the heat we have here in Florida right now. The training alone can do that!

Thanks.
Lori M.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-vitamin [lam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Vitamin Code Perfect Weight. I take with food to avoid nausea.

http://www.thevitamincode.com/...id/1317/Default.aspx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could eat kids vitamins like candy :P

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more or less convinced that Shaklee makes the best products. They've done more clinical studies and have better quality control than any other company I'm aware of. The problem is that their products are only sold via multi-marketing so you'll either have to find a distributor or sign up as one yourself.

http://www.shaklee.com/index.shtml
Last edited by: cerveloguy: Aug 3, 10 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-vitamin [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take a generic and vote on price. I try to get most of what I need from food, using the multi for backup. They aren't regulated by the govt---there may be some trade org self regulation---so I don't want to pay much. Does your local grocery have an over 40 store brand? Does Walgreens or CVS?
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-vitamin [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik and I are one of a kind : ) Children's multi vitamins (with extra iron) are the way to go - and so much cheaper!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consumer Reports looked at multivits this month, in all categories the Kirkland (Costco) multivits came out on top.. their 'Mature' formulation also has chromium unfortunately, though at a low dose. The whole CR article is worth reading - basically people who take multivits tend to be healthier, but it seems that's mostly because they are health-conscious and the rest of their lifestyle is also healthier than people who don't take vitamins. The evidence for multivits is murky at best.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-vitamin [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you say "unfortunately" about the Chromium?

Yet another study just found that taking vitamins in pill form does not benefit you. I take Magnesium, Glutamine and Fish, Flax, Primrose daily as the really help with my recover. I add vitamin A if I get symptoms of ear or sinus infection. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone. It was kind of interesting about the Chromium, though, as I was thinking it might benefit my metabolism which is not racing along these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why did you say "unfortunately" about the Chromium?

Yet another study just found that taking vitamins in pill form does not benefit you. I take Magnesium, Glutamine and Fish, Flax, Primrose daily as the really help with my recover. I add vitamin A if I get symptoms of ear or sinus infection. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone. It was kind of interesting about the Chromium, though, as I was thinking it might benefit my metabolism which is not racing along these days.

"unfortunately" only because it looks as if you'd already decided against supplements with it.. so the Kirkland wouldn't be an option in that case. Again it's murky, NIH factsheet indicates no known problems with it but benefits are as yet unproven. I see red wine can have high chromium content, I think I'll supplement heavily with a nice pinot..

I'm on fish oil, vit D, and Recovox/Proloftin. These improve the way I feel, which is a start ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've read several studies that showed that there is a lot inconsistency in vitamins. Maybe because of the (lack of) regulations, or maybe things like extracting, shipping, storing, etc. The bottom line is that many have more or less than they say they do. I've read that One-A-Day Womens not only had a good mix of stuff to begin with, but also spec'd out to be closest to what they claimed was in there.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice? Just say no to retail, cheap, generic vitamins for the following reasons:

1) No idea where ingredients have been sourced, what fillers and additives are being used, and if any quality control is in place at manufacturer

2) Have not likely been tested for bioavailability, efficacy, potency, or safety

3) No clue as to how long they've been sitting on a shelf, exposed to heat or light or oxygen - all of which can kill effectiveness. You may as well toss your money down the toilet.

I only use professional grade vitamins - why would I buy the best bike, gear, and food out there and then cheat myself out of high-potency supplements? That's just nuts. My choice is Pure Encapsulations, but there are lots of other professional-grade brands out there.

Take your vits with meals to minimize nausea (plus that's when your body is ready and willing to accept nourishment!), and be sure to add in some high quality fish or krill oil, too, which will go a lot farther than chromium for weight management.

MirZ
www.competitivefitnessgroup.com

MirZ

Triathlon Lifestyle Expert and Licensed Sports Nutritionist

Get your FREE training blueprints at http://www.triathlonexperts.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
me and my GF use these.

http://www.gardenoflife.com/...id/1368/Default.aspx

raw
vegan
gluten free
dairy free
no soy
organic

4 month supply is only $30 and they have lots of choices.

TEAM GREEN
SWIM - CYCLE - RUN - VEGAN

Quote Reply
Re: Multi-vitamin [MirZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you buy professional grade?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-vitamin [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any qualified health practitioner (Chiro, Nutritionist, ND) can provide these. Since I am a nutritionist, I offer them on our site at www.competitivefitnessgroup.com.

MirZ

Triathlon Lifestyle Expert and Licensed Sports Nutritionist

Get your FREE training blueprints at http://www.triathlonexperts.com
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-vitamin [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USANA vitamins are high quality, pharmaceutical grade (pure) and are guaranteed to not fail you in any competition drug testing. Pro level contracts are available with them (for insurance $$) in case of a false positive.
Quote Reply
Re: Multi-vitamin [LoriT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've checked out the USANA info and seems to have some positive reviews and NSF certified. My only problem here is that they seem to be more focused on the network marketing strategy than product?? Maybe I am wrong......

I've been looking at Extend-Life - Total Balance as well - a New Zealand based company it appears. Anyone have any experience with this product line? Any NZ's out there? Shipping to North America is free with min purhcase so bonus although delivery may take some time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.immunotec.com/...05&Site=TRIJULIE

The calcium is also a rare find: it's real milk calcium. no ground up rock which is why I never took supplements before because I couldn't digest them on an empty stomach. There are actually side effects to many vitamins because of the cheap fillers.

DISCLAIMER: These are by Immunotec.
Yes, you have to buy from a distributor, but the company ships right to you every month so you save a lot $. Yes, I am a distributor because the products are used by myself & my entire family, actually changed our families health in a mega big way, so we love.

So if the products work, and are the best quality for your money, then why not???

Julie G.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using Trader Joe's woman's once a day multi-vitamins for a couple of years now, with a few sporadic times when I went off them. It is not cheap, at about $11 a bottle which lasts a couple of months. I take one every night before bed and unlike other vitamins, this one gives me no nausea. I found that they really helped with my "monthly" symptoms due the amount of vitamin B. I noticed that when I don't take them I get the symptoms but when I take them daily, no symptoms, so it is filling a void I have through normal nutrition. ( I am dairy intolerant and eat only a small amount of gluten). I also noticed that I do not seem to get sick if I take them regularly. I have two boys that bring home every cold their school offers. All this may be mental, but in that case, it works. If I think it works, it works right? Hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up
Laura
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Little late here, but I found that the Liquid Gold vit's REALLY work well for me. From Natures' Source. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I have to get them through either The Vitamin Shoppe or Drugstore.com.....good luck!

🐾
Quote Reply