Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Most Embarrassing Moment
Quote | Reply
I just got home from one of the most humiliating days of my life. I am sharing this story in the hopes that you all will share yours and cheer me up!!!

Some of the work I do in the lab must be done in a Biosafety Level Three lab. Because I work with some pretty nasty stuff, I am required to dress out into scrubs, wear a Tyvek jumpsuit with booties, double glove, and wear a PAPR (basically a battery powered air filter system you wear on your back) with a hood.

Anyway, it was business as normal dressing out. When I tested the air flow of my respirator, everything was a-OK. Once I got totally suited up, I realized the air flow over my face felt a little funny and the suit wasn't as puffy as normal, but I ignored it. When I got into my lab within the BSL3, I noticed there was a small hole in my Tyvek ...I covered it with tape, and the suit puffed up like a giant marshmallow as it should.

I was standing there watching two post-docs finish some stuff up before my mentor and I could get started when I started feeling a little funny. I have the most spastic tummy on the planet, so I just tried to breathe deep and make the weirdness go away. My mentor left to get the virus out of the freezer and I stayed in the lab. A few minutes later, I started to feel REALLY hot. Then I thought I was going to throw up. While contemplating how to throw up in a spacesuit, I decided it would be best if I headed towards the bathroom (yes, there is a bathroom in this BSL3 ...why, I will never understand).

By the time I got to the door, everything was getting fuzzy. I tried to steady myself against the counter, and everything went black. I remember my mentor trying to come in the door that I had fallen into. I remember him and a lab tech starting to carry me to the exit.

When I woke up, I was lying in the decontamination area with my mentor, the lab tech, and a post-doc standing over me while two safety officers stared at me through the window.

It was about this time when I realized I had been sick while I was unconscious ...ewewew ...I think the world of my mentor and have been really trying to fit in where I work (private company associated with the university). Passing out and getting sick in the process really probably wasn't the best way to go about being liked/fitting in.

I managed to wake up enough to keep them from calling an ambulance. My mentor helped me out of the rest of my suit and to the locker room where I could ditch the scrubs and shower off the sick. Then Health and Safety insisted on taking me to their office in a wheelchair for an interview. Then my mentor insisted on giving me a ride home.

Because I am in good health/condition, I am pretty sure something was wrong with my PAPR, reducing my air flow to the point where I was essentially breathing the same air for 10 minutes.

I know the whole situation was not my fault, but I am still mortified.

So spill!!! Make me feel better :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment [Leloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ewww, gross and funny.

Are you feeling better now?

Off the top of my head, I think having my fly down during a lunch presentation. Is it still a fly for girl's pants? Anyway, I'm sure everone noticed but nobody told me. Not cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm feeling much better ...thank you for asking :-) Dr. Dad said that the funky feeling (I'm guessing from hypoxia) should go away within a day or so. Although my mentor told me that passing out in the BSL3 earns one a day off, I think I'm going to go in tomorrow ...otherwise I'll just sit around the house feeling sorry for myself.

Until today, my most embarrassing moment was walking around the gym all morning with a dryer sheet stuck to my butt.

Don't you hate it when people don't bother telling you when something is off?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You win the most embarassing moment award at least until someone comes up with something even more disgusting :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
take the day off from work! they said you could. Use it to train. Or watch movies. Or something. but why work when you don't have to ?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been watching TV all afternoon ...and I really like my work. I don't think they will let me back into the BSL3 for a few days, but I want them to know I'm OK so they don't try to keep me out when I want to go in again. Plus I really want to know if someone figured out what went wrong with my PAPR.

Also, my car is parked in downtown Birmingham ...it is in the gated company lot with plenty of security cameras, but the lot is only a stone's throw from the ghetto. I really don't want to leave it there another night.

OK ...I want stories!!! I'm starting to feel like the only person on this forum that has crazy stupid things happen to her :-P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So this goes back a few years but still stands out as my most embarrassing moment. I played soccer in HS and was center half - ergo lots of running. As I am running up and down the field, I feel the tampon that had been in a good place wiggle down to a not good place. Before I knew it, it fell out but was still contained by my underwear and shorts. Or so I thought.

When we finally had time called I went over to where my mother was standing (the one game she had come to all year) to remove the offending agent. But it was gone. Somewhere on the field.

And it means it came flying out in front of both teams and all the spectators - this was boarding school so there were lots of spectators at games....

This may even meet your gross factor ;-)

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment [TriToy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, so that can actually happen? I know I've felt like it's happening, but never did. Ug.

I'm not sure if flying tampon trumps barfing in space suit and passing out at work. Ladies?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! And, yes, you do reach a comparable level on the "ew" scale :-)

I grew up on stories like these in Seventeen magazine ...they were always good for a "things could be worse" pick-me-up.
Quote Reply
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a guy and the flying tampon beats the puking in a space suit any day!

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment [erichollins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, my husband agrees. Flying tampon = ewww! Damn effing funny though!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry, embarassing moments hardly count at all if they aren't your fault! I have embarassing moments at work at LEAST weekly. Most recently (as in just last week) I'm visiting a different office. We had a long meeting and I'm dying for a bathroom break. When we finally break, I jump up and try to find the bathroom. As I rush in, I notice it sounds funny...louder than normal. As I go around a little half wall, I'm now staring at my project's Business owner (read: important client) standing at the urinal peeing. And I could see everything! I had run into the men's room!!!

I turned and ran out as fast as I could. I didn't actually see him look up, but he easily could have seen me run out and it would have been totally obvious it was me. We were in the same meeting together, so now I have to go back into the meeting, not knowing if he knows or not. I slouched down and avoided looking at him for the rest of the afternoon. Still don't know if he knows....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No gross out factor in my story but I think it qualifies as embarrassing. I used to wrestle in H.S. It was Christmas and I was cutting weight. We are at the Church on Christmas Eve and I think the combination of not eating and the thick incense caused me to pass out in the pew. My dad grabbed me and dragged me down the center of the aisle to get me out of there. Luck for me we were sitting towards the back and not the front.

"Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings." -Dr. Cox
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not gross, and possibly not my most embarrassing (there have been so many it's hard to tell). Anyway.... I was bike commuting last summer and could not find the cross strap to my messenger bag (the one that holds it in place). So I'm at a very busy intersection between downtown and northbeach and I hike my ridiculously heavy bag back up as it's slipping. Unfortunately it was so heavy and I threw it so hard I knocked myself over. More unfortunate was I fell the direction of the foot I still had clipped in. So I toppled over with my clipped in leg under my bike and flailed like a turtle on its back for what seemed like forever as cars drove by my head. I finally freed myself and got up as a guy came running to help me. As he got close I realized it was a guy I know from my tri club. Awkward conversation to follow (haven't seen you for a while, how're things...). My humiliation couldn't even be anonymous :( To top it off my chainring cut my calf (3 gouges), resulting in a permanent Fred mark.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not gross, and possibly not my most embarrassing (there have been so many it's hard to tell).
Damnit, you beat me to it. ;-)

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright, I thought of one. It's not as good as all of yours though.

My senior year in HS, in the spring, we had all these senior events that required dressing up. I never wear makeup but my friends were bound and determined to get me to wear it at least once - so I let them do mascara and blush and goodness knows whatever else for the Honors Banquet. That night I washed it all off... or so I thought.

I went to the gym the next morning and ran, then was lifting and couldn't figure out why I was getting so many funny looks from people. Finally looked in the mirror - I had big dark circles around my eyes, raccoon-like, I guess I didn't get all the mascara off.

Other one: have had some issues with halves of two pieces staying on when doing dives off the 3m board.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Top half or bottom half? :-D

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh this made me remember one that might have been better off being forgotten....College graduation - theatre major....so a bunch of us thought it would be fun/funny to have interesting garments under our robes - or nothing at all.

So I settled on a rather tight corset and stockings - along with true F.Me pumps....black patent leather - a good 5-6 inches.

It was a fairly long, hot day. we then split off to departments to receive diplomas. As I walked down the stairs to get my diploma, I was a bit lightheaded, and fell down the stairs - now remember what is under my robe - JUST corset and real stockings.....rather breezy.....

I think many people remember my receiving my diploma....

---

cat
Sponsored by Suntheanine, Lycored and Celadrin
http://www.lycored.com/web/content/library.asp http://suntheanine.com/Research.cfm http://celadrin.com/pages/studies.php
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I NEVER wear makeup either. I think I look goofy with it on, and I have freckles all over so foundation looks pretty stupid on my skin (like I'm trying to cover something). I wrecked a set of my mom's good hand towels by trying to use ancient makeup-remover, washing my face, and then smearing all the mascara that didn't come off onto her precious towels ...oops :-\
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOVE it :-)

My college graduation was so freaking boring ...I wish something like that had happened to spice it up a little ...but not to me ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Don't worry, embarassing moments hardly count at all if they aren't your fault! I have embarassing moments at work at LEAST weekly. Most recently (as in just last week) I'm visiting a different office. We had a long meeting and I'm dying for a bathroom break. When we finally break, I jump up and try to find the bathroom. As I rush in, I notice it sounds funny...louder than normal. As I go around a little half wall, I'm now staring at my project's Business owner (read: important client) standing at the urinal peeing. And I could see everything! I had run into the men's room!!!

I turned and ran out as fast as I could. I didn't actually see him look up, but he easily could have seen me run out and it would have been totally obvious it was me. We were in the same meeting together, so now I have to go back into the meeting, not knowing if he knows or not. I slouched down and avoided looking at him for the rest of the afternoon. Still don't know if he knows....
HAHAHAHA!! How utterly humiliating! Made me LOL at work... thanks for sharing

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Re: Most Embarrassing Moment [erichollins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the trouble with the two pieces is always the top half, you dive in and it gets pushed right down. bottom half, similar to a guy's speedo and those always stay on.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so, my roommate's boyfriend appears to have moved in with us. Not really moved in but he has spent the last seven nights here at LEAST and I am getting tired of it. she asked the other day "do you mind?" and I was caught off guard and said "no..." and she left for class before I could say, "wait a minute, I do mind."

I am tired of:
having to go in the bathroom if I want to change my clothes, rather than getting to stand in front of my dresser and trying on a bunch of different outfits.
them whispering back and forth all night.
having 3 people in a small space

on the other hand she is an extrovert, very high maintenance... and if he's here... she is not bugging me.

On how this relates to the embarrasment theme: they're being all lovey dovey and making noisy kissing sounds. If I yell "hey can you guys stop being so loud" I wonder if they'll get embarrassed and he'll leave. This would not be a very nice thing to do. But it would be better than my current desire to suffocate them both with pillows.

Or, I need to find a tactful way to tell him WOULD YOU PLEASE GO SPEND THE NIGHT AT YOUR OWN ROOM.

ranting over...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
did you go to work or stay home?

I only had one class... got a whole bunch of homework and thesis writing done :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went in at 6 AM, got in a swim workout, and was in the office by a little after 8 :-P A girl that is a year ahead of me lives nearby, so I bummed a ride from her. Thankfully, my car was still in one piece.

It was a good thing I went in, because Health and Safety shipped me off to the Occupational Health Clinic to get a physical :-\ I'm not a huge fan of doctors offices, and it took them over 2 hours to get me out of there. They asked me a few questions, agreed that it sounds like my respirator malfunctioned, drew some blood, and sent me back to work ...somehow this took close to two and a half hours!!! At least it is out of the way.

They still won't clear me to go into the BSL3 until the blood work comes back and they have checked the PAPR I was using. It has to be deconned out, and they don't do the fumigation thing all that often, so it may be a few days before I know what went wrong.

Also, the only person I saw that was with me yesterday was my boss ...I swear he is one of the nicest men I've ever met. He was happy I was doing well, apologized for not e-mailing to check up on me (he had a huge presentation today), and seemed totally laid back about the everything. I was really nervous about going in today, but talking with him made me feel much better.

Oh, and I turned my qualifying exam paper in on monday :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next