Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moms who work from home
Quote | Reply
I'm about to have my first baby and so I'm no longer working outside of the home but would like to find something part time that I could do from home. Just looking for ideas and curious what those of you who are able to work from home do. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Moms who work from home [dytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People could probably give more ideas if you share your most recent position and skills. I have kids and work from home practicing law. I do projects - mostly research and writing - for a small law firm. I'm definitely not climbing the ladder any longer in the legal field, but it gives me a lot of flexibility to be available for my kids and train.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a finance manager working from home. I started off with my company working from the office and then eventually was able to start working from home.

One thing to be careful of when working from home is just because you work from home it doesn't mean you wont need someone to watch your kids while you work. I have a nanny that comes to the house during work hours. I still think this is a fantastic situation because I can see my son when I take breaks from work but I can still focus 100% on my job when working.

From the work perspective the job is challenging but am not really moving up in the company. I am ok with this at the moment I really value the time I get to see my son (he is 17 months) and so this is the perfect situation for me right now and do not mind if its holding me back from the career front. Regardless I still try to do the best at the job so that when I am ready to get going again I still have the opportunity to do so.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just picked up a book called The Lap Top Millionaire by Mark Anatasia which talks about home based business. Can't comment on it yet as all I've read is the introduction so far.

If you do a home based business be able to separate it from the rest of the house, even if its just closing a door on the room where you work when you leave. I had a chiropractic office attached to my house that I could close off by a pair of French doors. You have to separate the house and business area for the sake of your own sanity.
Quote Reply
Re: Moms who work from home [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
You have to separate the house and business area for the sake of your own sanity.

also, for the tax breaks ;-)
USA tax code requires a physically separate area for the home office, in order to claim the exemption. We finished a corner of the basement and called it the home office..

as marcia says, you'll still need someone to watch the kid while you work.

My wife did this for a few years in IT, until the layoffs came. If you are part-time or remote, typically those are the first victims to get picked in a layoff situation. Over the years there were 4 moms at the company who went part-time when the kids came along, none of them is with the company now.. so if working for BigCorp, make sure to have backup plans..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think after your child is born, you will not have time