Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Microgestin (Fe 1/20) - Weigth Gain
Quote | Reply
I have done two Ironmans now and training for number three. During my first I was on Yaz - birth control and lost a lot of weight during training and was pretty confident with my weight. For my second Ironman I was on microgestin and training what I think was harder (more intervals and longer swims). I would say my eating was pretty much the same, I am a creature of habit. Unfortunately I crossed the second Ironman 43 minutes faster which is great, but heavier - about 8 or so pounds. I gained weight over that year doing the same work if not more. That is pretty disheartening. I know the time is more important than the scale, but it is so hard to work that hard and gain weight!! I was curious if anyone has encountered this same issue with this birth control. I would change birth controls back to Yaz, but I just graduated from college and stocked up on the birth control before I graduated because of the discounted rate.
Should I just go off it?!?! Thoughts if it was worth it? I am married, but no plans for little ones - focus is Madison IM right now!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Microgestin (Fe 1/20) - Weigth Gain [gunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was your weight gain additional muscle that you added with your extra training? Easy to add muscle especially when you ramp up the cycling volume.

You are 43 minutes faster than before and you are training hard. Why worry about what the scale says? Seriously. You have to stop that now. You are not a runway model. You are an athlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
43 minutes... could be the course and weather conditions alone. Were they different courses, and/or conditions?

You should be able to tell if that 8 lbs is muscle, fat, or a combo. Do you ever take measurements of your body? Waist, hips, arm, quad, chest, etc. Or body fat %? More helpful than the scale alone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Dawn said. If you're getting faster & more efficient then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Especially if you feel ok & things still fit well.

8lbs.....I flux almost that much in a few weeks' time. I'd like to shed about 20 but have gained 5 since I ramped up training a month ago.....I've got no good reason!

Are you willing to give up birth control & sex for the trade-off of another 6-5mo of hard training & the pregnancy potential?

AW
Quote Reply
Re: Microgestin (Fe 1/20) - Weigth Gain [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:
Are you willing to give up birth control & sex for the trade-off of another 6-5mo of hard training & the pregnancy potential?

whoa, i gave up oral contraceptives a couple of years ago but i'm not giving up sex! condoms still work, ya know ;)

cheers!

-mistress k