Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Menopause and Endurance Training
Quote | Reply
My last cycle was November 2009 and since December 2009 I have noticed that I fatigue very easy when working out and doing 2 work outs in one day is extremely exhausting. I also don't sleep well so getting up early for a training session is almost non-existant now a days. I am training for IMAZ in November 2010. I cannot take birth control pills because of I have hypertension. Any suggestions from those who have been down this path?
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause and Endurance Training [nancyjze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I just wrote in another similar thread, go to your doc and get basic bloodwork done. You have an issue with thyroid function, or iron levels. Who knows, but you need to rule some basic possibilities out and get more information.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any thing helpful to offer but as I have a friend going through the same issue could you post any information you find here?

Sadly it seems that there is precious little information or study done on menopause and training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I struggle daily with menopause. hot flashes, weight gain, no sleep, bad mood, fogging brain, severe down in athletic ability, etc. I have tried everything. a hormone patch helps some. I started looking at the age groups i was in and maybe moving into soon. and discovered a big drop in numbers from 45 to 49, 50 to 54, and a bigger drop in numbers in the 55 to 59 group. Of course, no one gives a rat's ass about why this is so. but i feel it has to do with Menopause. Reasons being all the things you are complaining about and more. I have gone from placing 6th in hawaii ironman in the 45 to 49 age group to barely to finish a half ironman. of course, I have no science behind my theory. But from my experience, i have gone from being a competitive athletic to one that just participates because of menopause. Good luck with your training. If you want the name of that patch let me know. it did help me.....some
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nancy,

Sorry you're going through this, I have been there. The changes are difficult to manage, especially when the lack of sleep puts you in a permanent fog. I was tested for bioidentical hormones a year and a half ago. The numbers were shocking, and came as a relief to me. My levels were almost zero in testosterone and progesterone, and estrogen approaching the same.

I went on a dr prescribed regimen of hormones and within 6 wks, was feeling more like myself. A year and a half later, I feel great. I would recommend checking it out, I realize it's somewhat controversial, but the results far outweigh any risks.

Good luck and hang in there!!!
Ingrid
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause and Endurance Training [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is interesting: a few of you have mentioned "brain fog"... can someone elaborate on this? I'm just sliding into menopause (early too - bah) and have noticed the "brain fog" a lot lately... I originally chalked it up to too much wine/too much coffee but after a week of neither, it's still around...

Also: the getting up early thing. Man I used to get up at 4am no problem to train. Now, 6:30 is tough even if I go to bed at a decent hour.

What ages and how long has everyone been dealing with these symptoms? I'm 38 and it's been increasing over the last 18=24 months....

thx in advance.

man I'm so glad we have the womens forum for stuff like this.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause and Endurance Training [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brain fog....can't concentrate. can't focus, can't problem solve, can't remember stuff. forgetful, if a thought comes to mind, if I don't express it right away; it's gone. I forget how to spell words. it seems to last forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause and Endurance Training [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow.... something else to tell the doc I guess... sometimes I wonder if I should have just stayed on the pill... my cycles are so messed... my brainfog and daily headaches suck ass... the hot flashes and shitty sleeping is miserable. Worst part about the brain fog is that I'm expected to be the problem solver at work. Bah! Argh!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me it's the heat intolerance. Other symptoms seem to be lessening. Worst was sleep problems from late 30's - mid forties. Also not quite as zippy as I once was but endurance is still good and I sure am happier (less moody) now that I am not menstruating.
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause and Endurance Training [KeepOnKeepinOn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the heat thing is a definite problem for me. tough when one lives in the tropics. have you stuck your head in the freezer yet? I would love to have the "friend" back. there is a rumor that if one has bad periods: bad pms, moody, all that crap,,,menopause is easier? fuck that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL I hear ya, it's 95deg now, my lunchtime (easy) run still sucked, and I can't wait to jump in the sprinkler with my kids after work. ;-)

Popsicles for all!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot one other problem......dried out eyes and dried out, "down there." How could I forget the old snapper. It's a pain in the ass or should I say pussy....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL I don't have that problem (crosses fingers that I won't) ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad I found this tread, hormone cream for down below works well, (can’t find mine at present because I moved house)
I thought I was bi polar, now I can see that I am menopausal, by reading the signs here.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with all of you ladies. I've found 2 things have saved my sleep.

1.) Black cohosh. I had a friend recommend it and I've been suffering from night sweats so severely that I decided to try it. I'm amazed. I haven't had a nasty night sweat in weeks. As long as I take it daily I'm fine.

3.) Melatonin. I'd been taking Tylenol PM to help with my recently (last 12 months) developed insomnia. Same friend recommended it and I've heard many others talk about how great melatonin is for sleep. It works like a charm for me. I take 2.5mg on nights when I can't sleep and it works! If I get less than 7 hours of sleep on it I'm groggy when I first wake up but that clears really quickly. I now have a rule that if I'm not asleep 30 minutes after I turn off the light and there is no sleep in sight, I take it.

I was pretty skeptical about both of these remedies but wow, not sure what took me so long to try

As far as the decrease in athletic performance, I've always been slow so I can say I've noticed anything.

I did notice that going back on the pill for a month to deal with the above 2 issues and the "brain fog" really made it impossible to train. HR was higher, couldn't catch my breath, sluggish. I stopped taking it.

Its hard enough to find info on female endurance athletes let alone info on those of us who are in the menopause process.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause and Endurance Training [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you did go back on the pill? albeit for a short trial it sounds like... I was just debating discussing it with my doc. Don't really want to go back on; since going off, I am actually a much less bitchy person ;-) hmmm... way too little info...

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For one month then went back off of it. Honestly I'd rather my body go through its natural monthly rhythm so I can keep track of any major changes. Not convenient but makes me feel more in touch with what is up considering my premenopause. And, I just didn't feel good WRT working out on it. Considering how important that is to me I decided it wasn't worth that side effect.

What's funny is there's no literature that I could find to support the decrease in aerobic capacity as a side effect yet many athletes I know complain about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone else posted, get a complete checkup and blood work to rule out any other types of problems.

I have surgical menopause at 47 (they took everything as I was never coming back again!) I had been perimenopausal since 38, but my levels weren't low enough then to justify hormone therapy. I lasted all of one week after my surgery before going on hormone replacement therapy. I used a bioidentical patch (Vivelle Dot), within 24 hours, I felt like myself again. I can't really describe the brain fog, other than fuzzy thinking...something just wasn't quite right, but it was gone. I started off on the lowest dosage, but upped it a little 2 years later, because I was still suffering from hot flashes, mood swings, insomnia.

I came to sports late in life, at 44 I did my first tri after learning how to swim and ride a bike. So I can't say how much it all effected my work out and speed. I'm now 52 and the effects of menopause are lessening to the point that I may stop the homrone therapy this year. I actually can train and run in the heat, something in the past year I could not do. I have also gotten faster (fast for me, probably slow for the rest of y'all, LOL) and have more endurance. I find that the more consistently I train, the better I sleep and generally the better I feel. I get tired and can barely make it past 8:30. The brain fog is there, but I think that's just age and it's not nearly as bad as it was.

I think what also helped me was I improved my diet, although I still drink 2 cups of coffee a day, I limit sugar as well. I also take a calcium supplement and fish oil. As for the poster who said about dry down there..well ain't that the truth, but since my divorce, I haven't worried much about that, LOL..

I think it's natural to slow down a little as we age. For those of you who are elite, it's probably more difficult to be as accepting. But I try to focus on what I do have and the many blessings that come with age. Like I truly don't give a damn what people think anymore. For some reason, that fact alone has made me more tolerant or probably more I don't give a damn...very freeing!

Good luck, get a check up.

Quote Reply
Re: Menopause and Endurance Training [vols fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...But I try to focus on what I do have and the many blessings that come with age. Like I truly don't give a damn what people think anymore. For some reason, that fact alone has made me more tolerant or probably more I don't give a damn...very freeing!

x2

wanted to add I never had much patience with jumping through hoops and now have zero. It's so much better to just. say. it. Somehow an older woman can get away with that much easier, it seems. And as I posted earlier but it's worth saying again I'm all around happier. Sure I'm not thrilled to be getting older and slower, etc but I plan on being a rockin' old lady one day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Last time I was in ER, they pointed out - very clearly - my risk factors for DVT/PE: low resting HR; lots of flying/sitting at desk; pill. I really don't want to be on it, I'd rather know that what is happening is due to my body not some hormonal drug. I never had a problem in my 20+ years on it with aerobic activity tho.... no one tracks this stuff.... crazy. Guess we're not worth enough $$$ Hmmm...

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the key is patience and being an informed patient. I am 47 years old, I've completed 6 IM in 7 years and have done all my training post hyst. I suffered hot flashes, night sweats, mood-swings, brain fog(the worst) etc. In my situation, I found a doctor who understood athletes and bio-identical hormone therapy. It took months of searching and asking questions to find a doctor who understood both but the results have been fantastic. I chose bio-identical creams. I rub them on my thigh and off I go. I think the key is to ask questions, search for a dr. who understands the unique needs of menoposal athletes and know whether you want to use herbal therapy, conventional hormone therapy, bio-identical or nothing. There isn't a lot of research on "us" but a good dr. will be willing to review the research that is available and work with your specific needs. Be patient if you choose to start therapy, results do not happen over-night. If you choose to do bio-identical creams you will need to adjust them as your training changes. Good Luck
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause and Endurance Training [ironmom5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dead on, Ironmom.

Bio-identicals are the only way to go. Screw BCPs and synthetic hormones. All the RESEARCH about HRT causing cancer, well that study was among women taking SYNTHETIC HORMONES (aka horse pee - Premarin). There are absolutely no indications that taking Bio-Identicals cause cancer. (I'm on Vivelle patch and Progestrone Bio-identical cream compounded by a local pharmacy).

BCPs are nasty nasty things and I would never ever take them again, despite my "regular" Nurse Practioner saying they would solve my issues (whatever, she seems to forget the nasty side effects they cause me like migraines and massive weight gain, and inabilty to workout on them).

I suggest everyone who has been on this thread read a book called The Natural Superwoman http://www.amazon.com/...joying/dp/1583332855

Absolutely a great informative read about what is going on with your body.

Ladies, I have been down this road for years and years, starting with peri-menopausal hot flashes, insomnia, palpitations since I was 31, I'm almost 46. Going on the HRT at 38 gave me back my ability to function at 100% again. Don't suffer, go get your hormones tested and find a doc who WILL help you.

Sue
Quote Reply
Re: Menopause and Endurance Training [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re: Bio-identical - research - do you really trust who is "compounding" drugs for you?

http://www.fda.gov/...pdates/ucm049311.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 40 and this was not even on the radar as I dont 'feel' it! but lately periods are SO bad, never had pain before now but they are SO painful for 2-3 days and very very heavy. Is this a sign?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update for the posters re: melatonin - I tried this and WOW what a difference. Anyone here with sleeping problems (awake thru night/insomnia/brain fog during day), give it a try, it is a huge difference...

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply

Prev Next