Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maternity Swim Suits
Quote | Reply
Anyone know where you can find a maternity swim suit that you could swim laps with you master program in without being embarrassed? Everything I can find in the way of maternity swim suits seems to involve some kind of built in skirt. The other option is a two piece speedo but I don't really like to show my belly even when I'm not pregnant, I can't imagine I'll be more comfortable showing off my belly when it has a bowling ball in it.
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Swim Suits [snotrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I found zero suits in my quest. It's BS! They tell women to swim when they are pregnant but there are no swim suits to do it it. There is a niche market there I'm telling you. The advice I got was to borrow worn out suits from other women in master's swim and let them stretch out with the tummy. Not an attractive option at all!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those maternity suits are awful.

I just sized up (A LOT) in a TYR suit as I got bigger. By 8 mos or so it had to be the two piece though. But at that point I had lost all modesty/embarrassment over my newly grown cellulite and giant gut that I just went for it. Of course, I was mostly just sitting around, not yet being a master's swimmer.. but I did swim some in the bigger size fine.

Hope you can find something that works, Erika & Angela!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's tough to find a one-piece that doesn't make you look like a brightly colored beach ball!

I just ordered a plain tankini from Old Navy. It's not exactly a racing suit, but it comes in a lot of plain colors and it's a halter top which seems like it will stay up securely. They also have a black one-piece...again, not the best training suit, but it will probably stay put and not look too ridiculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought regular speedo suits in bigger sizes. Seemed like the only option to me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually found one at Old Navy last year. It did tie around the neck (rather than regular straps), but it was otherwise a pretty normal one-piece style. It was gathered on the sides and expanded nicely. I actually bought it at the end of the swim season for $15. You may want to see if they are offering something similar this year. With a place like Old Navy it's only going to be a seasonal item.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like other have posted I just kept buying larger size racing style suits. One lesson I have learned this time around is to buy lycra and not polyester or the endurance ones. They don't stretch as much and you need the stretch!
I'm 19weeks PG and I bought a size 36 speedo endurance 6 weeks ago and am already going to have to get something different. Instead of stretching over my belly it just pulls up my butt and down on my shoulders. Plus this particular suit is horrid for my newly aquired back fat.
Also as was pointed out on some other thread TYR typically puts a little more material in the butt area than speedo.

I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to go with a two piece training suit this summer, way too much fat and cellulite for that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is total BS that there are no options out there for women who want to swim sans bows/halters/strapless. There is definitely a market for it.

I am 21 weeks along today and ordered the largest size (38) suit that they have from Splish. It doesn't fit at all on the top and the belly is fine now, but I can't imagine it is going to work these next 19 weeks. On the lookout for a 2 piece speedo....anyone know where to find one inexpensively?
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Swim Suits [mrsparker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
On the lookout for a 2 piece speedo....anyone know where to find one inexpensively?

http://www.speedousa.com -- click on the sale link -- there are often good deals there
http://www.sportsbasement.com
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Swim Suits [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Just ordered a cute two piece from Speedo on sale no less. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was searching for images of women running (don't ask, I'm always doing strange things for research) and found this site that has maternity running skirts:

http://www.runningskirts.com/maternity-skirts.html

They are pretty dang cute. We should contact the owners and ask them to get into swim suits too!
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Swim Suits [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are really cute! I've never tried running in a skirt but I'm trying so much new with this whole pregnancy thing that I might as well give that a whirl as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Swim Suits [bokchoy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It's tough to find a one-piece that doesn't make you look like a brightly colored beach ball!

In 2004, I found a black and white maternity swimdress at Target. Swimming in it was like swimming in one of those suits designed to increase drag, but at least it was big enough to accomodate my 80-pound weight gain...

"Real winners aren't content with yesterday's victories"
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Swim Suits [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found this one online, but haven't tried it. http://www.oldnavy.com/...8&scid=553688002 Seriously contemplating ordering it though.
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Swim Suits [laferra2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! That's a nice one, and the price is reasonable, too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can't imagine I'll be more comfortable showing off my belly when it has a bowling ball in it.
But at that point I had lost all modesty/embarrassment over my newly grown cellulite and giant gut that I just went for it.
It's tough to find a one-piece that doesn't make you look like a brightly colored beach ball![/quote]
Sentences like these make me think I just don't want to ever get pregnant...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Swim Suits [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I can't imagine I'll be more comfortable showing off my belly when it has a bowling ball in it.
But at that point I had lost all modesty/embarrassment over my newly grown cellulite and giant gut that I just went for it.
It's tough to find a one-piece that doesn't make you look like a brightly colored beach ball![/quote]
Sentences like these make me think I just don't want to ever get pregnant...

"Ever" is a pretty strong word. When the time is right for one to have a baby, one's perspective changes.

Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Swim Suits [SaraJean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When the time is right for one to have a baby, one's perspective changes.[/quote] I guess it must have to... I can't contemplate getting fat for 9 months... I feel soooo shallow saying that but it's true! I like my nice flat tummy very very much.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Swim Suits [laferra2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That suit is nice but I can't see myself wearing a suit that ties to swim practice. I'm ready to order a much larger sized lycra "racing" suit and am wondering if you other pregnant women think a long size would help. The suit I have now is pulling down in the shoulders and riding up my ever expanding butt. I'm thinking that the long size will have more material to pull over my stomach. I have a medium to short torsoe normally.

Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reviving an old thread for anyone still looking for maternity swim suits.

Found these: http://www.swimtowin.com/...&category_id=127

I actually sew my own swim suits, so if anyone has a tip for adjusting a one-piece suit pattern to fit the preggo belly please pm.

Ziva
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Swim Suits [Ziva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those look perfect! Too bad I've already bought a tankini mommy & me swim lessons and the beach and a larger sized lycra TYR for swim practice. At 31 weeks I'm hoping these make it through. If I'd seen these 4 months ago I would have gladly paid $60.
Last edited by: mj: Jun 19, 08 23:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was most comfortable in a 2-piece. TYR maxback bikini top with the TYR multisport bikini bottom (more coverage than a standard suit, plus a drawstring at the waist). Even though it doesn't feel like it, by the time you're enormously pregnant most people just marvel that you're in the water exercising and not plopped on the couch with a Diet Coke and bag of chips, no one really pays attention. And it's nice practice for when you go to the hospital to have the kid and find yourself completely naked with a giant parade of people coming through doing nearly unspeakable things to you (if tigerchik was turned off to motherhood before... heh heh heh). :)
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Swim Suits [Ziva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These look great. I just started going the two piece route but I would much prefer to wear on of these.
Quote Reply
Re: Maternity Swim Suits [lazyrunnr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember a couple of years ago, being at a masters swim practice and a woman who swam a good 2-3 days a week got pregnant. She started with a 2-piece suit, and just wore the same thing throughout her pregnancy - looked fabulous the bigger she got. What blew me away was that she was doing butterfly sets well into her 8th month, and probably up to the day she gave birth. It was awesome...

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply