Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon training rookie runner
Quote | Reply
Ladies I was wondering about setting realistic expectations for my first marathon. I did not start running until I was 50 with the encouragement of my triathlete son. I completed a 5km race in 37 minutes and then in the subsequent few years I have done many 10km PB 1:07 and my first half marathon recently in a time of 2hrs 38 min with no issues. I did run the whole half marathon but you can see I am a turtle not a rabbit and that is just fine with me. I am training over the winter with a schedule set by my coach for 5 days a week until spring where I will go to 6 days a week. I have a nice mix of endurance, tempo and hill repeats and am pleased with my progress from non-runner to a healthy 54 year old. My first marathon is at the end of August as part of a iron distance relay, my son is doing the swim, bike and he has honoured me by asking that I do the run. That being said I want to be realistic going into the race so based on your experience what should I expect? I am being trained to run and then walk through the aid stations to refuel and rest so I can ensure a finish. Your insight is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon training rookie runner [carlsomi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you be in Penticton? I will, as the runner in a relay team.

Since you are so far out from the race it is really hard to give a guess. I hate to hamstring you by giving a time that is slower than you are capable of. 10 months is a long time to gain speed. Consistency will be a huge help.

The best way to predict time with all things going smoothly is to continue to race during the spring and summer. My times aren't too far off from yours and my marathon times are usually around 5 hours. I've also NEVER done serious speedwork until now so we will see how it goes.

I say throw realistic out the window and run. See how it goes and check back in the spring :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon training rookie runner [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jen and yes I will be in Penticton. I will take your advice and just see how the winter and spring go. No matter what I am thrilled to be part of the race!
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon training rookie runner [carlsomi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree w/ Jen. Too far from race. And I agree that continued shorter distance racing will give you a good idea of what to expect race day. There's a great on-line calculator at McMillan running.com. (google it) You can plug distance and time into it and it'll give you expected times at other distances.

I do want to say to be very careful w/ increasing your running. I'm 48 and finding running 6 days a week to be too much, had to decrease to 5 days a week. But I also have 20 years of marathons on my legs, so it could be I'm just worn out. My point is, take it by feel. If you feel like you're starting to get injured or too tired, make sure you talk to your coach and back down a little.

I'm super excited for you. Good luck, and remember the point is to have fun. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon training rookie runner [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! The McMillan calculator tool is interesting/helpful and I would never have found it on my own. I am having a lot of fun running, most days it feels like meditation and I come home happy afterwards. On race days I smile all the way and feel like I am so fortunate that my son gave me the confidence to try it out and hey the health benefits have been great.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon training rookie runner [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:
I do want to say to be very careful w/ increasing your running. I'm 48 and finding running 6 days a week to be too much, had to decrease to 5 days a week. But I also have 20 years of marathons on my legs, so it could be I'm just worn out. My point is, take it by feel. If you feel like you're starting to get injured or too tired, make sure you talk to your coach and back down a little.

I'm super excited for you. Good luck, and remember the point is to have fun. :)

both points x 2 :)

It sounds like you like and trust your coach--super important! If you find you're getting tired or any body parts to nag, going to 5 days (or even 4!) would still be totally OK. With a half under your belt now, increasing volume super conservatively, 3-5%/week, still gets you there with a taper in plenty of time.

So, so cool that your son asked you to do this with him. Congratulations on your new running life and for raising such an awesome man!

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply