Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon advice
Quote | Reply
Hi Gals,
I have a marathon on March 21st. Here is what happen. Three weeks ago on one of my twenty milers I had to stop running at mile 18.I hobbled home the last two!
I have been pool running and cross training like a mad woman. I was in week13 of Hal advance marathon plan when Achilles and Plantar hit me!!! I have never felt pain like this before.
Well now it is taper time for real everything is starting to feel 98%. Should I do my last twenty? Or know that all that speed work and endurance is there and just go on with taper?
When i cross train I cross train. 12 mile run would be 2.5 hour on the trainer or 1.5 hour in the pool run followed by 1hour ride.I feel like I have given it my all these last three weeks as far as cross training goes. I just hope that I am not peaking to early?
I am looking to qualify for Boston so I am feeling a little low! Now I am trying to get it back mentally and the foot feel great so physically also!
Let me know what eveyone thinks,
Thanks Kas
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon advice [kasdas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on your running experience. If you are an experienced marathoner and you are completely healed from the injury with no nagging complaints from your achilles, you could run the 20 miler with three weeks left to go and then taper. If not, or if you still have pain then totally skip it. The twenty would be really for piece of mind that you did it but odds are that you may end up reinjuring. Save it for race day.
Did you get other twenties in?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good work on your cross training!

I'd do a final long run but not 20. Maybe 15?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon advice [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or what about two 10 miles back to back days? Or a 10 and a 5 in the AM and PM. Your body still feels the fatigue from the workout prior, but your joints get a little more rest.

One thing that helps me is to do some marathon-pace (REAL goal pace, not more than 10s/mi faster) runs that are 4-6 miles. Shorter, more frequent runs are great for getting back into the "feel" of running and getting that goal pace down.

You have the endurance from cross training, you are healing. You can qualify and have a great race, even without doing the 20 miler; it's not worth risking hobbling home again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I probably wouldn't do the full 20, unless it's on a route that passes by your house every 5 miles or so :) It sounds like you know what you're doing and have a good enough base. Doing 2x 10 miles sound much less risky, and you'd hate to have to miss the marathon because of one long run that you weren't sure you should be doing anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sue Hal Higdon. The old man must have some money. Next time, make your plan. don't be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon advice [damien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree! Nowhere in that MF's training schedule did it say anything about registering for my race. I was killing myself on the advance II schedule, about to start my taper, only to find out the race I was training for was SOLD OUT!!! Day 1 should say "Register for your race and go run a mile or two". All Higdon's fault.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon advice [jen-g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Everyone! I think mentally I am coming back! I have the endurance for the last 10 years marathoner/ironman. I guess sometimes we start second guessing ourselves and just need the support!
Not sure what I will do. But will probably start with 5 mile loops and see what happens. Maybe do a 10 then a 5 . Will see. Thank you so much! As for Hal this is WHY I am a triathlete not a marthoner! But the last goal is qualifying for Boston. Before I start searching for other goals!
Chat soon, Karen Any more advice is always welcome! :)
Quote Reply