Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon 4 months after delivery - IT band problem
Quote | Reply
I plan to do the NYC marathon next November, and I'm due mid-July. Never ran a marathon, but did 3 IM, and running is my best disciplines of the 3 sports. What is making me hesitating is that I'm dealing with an IT Band issue since mid-October. I now really have to stop running for about 2 months to heal this. During my 1st pregnancy, I ran until 20 weeks but continued to exercise 4-5x/w with spinning, swimming and elliptical. I regained all my fitness in less than 6 months after delivery. What to expect if I register for NYC? Is my IT band will prevent me from running after delivery? Should I do water running or it won,t change anything? I don't expect to have the best race of my life, but since it will be my 1st mary, I'll PR for sure! Thanks.

P.S. Don't judge me for wanting to race 4 months after delivery...
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon 4 months after delivery - IT band problem [IMV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know what's causing the IT band issues?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IT band issues that prevent you from running are probably helping you in the long run.
Last edited by: seifarth: Dec 29, 09 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who is writing a book about post baby exercise and she really cautions against running right away due to issues with your pelvic floor. If you like, I can put you in touch with her. She has an MS in Ex Phys and she is also a doula and a supreme genius when it comes to core strength. I don't have any other advice for you but wish you the best of luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon 4 months after delivery - IT band problem [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It started 4 weeks before Clearwater a couple of days after I did a 10k race. Maybe I didn't had enough speed under my belt since I trained for IMLP last summer. I don't know.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon 4 months after delivery - IT band problem [seifarth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't understand what you mean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Refer to trailbait's post and do a little research. One of my professor (PH.d in ExPhys) had the same sentiment.... she is a runner, had a child and was unable to resume training for a year due to time commitments.. she met with a fellow PHd from Germany and he told her it was probably for the better. It takes a while for things to physically move back into place.

The point I was making was that your IT band issues now may be saving you from more serious complications in the future by preventing your running.
Last edited by: seifarth: Dec 29, 09 22:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing you can do now to help alleviate IT band problems is strengthen your glutes.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon 4 months after delivery - IT band problem [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One thing you can do now to help alleviate IT band problems is strengthen your glutes.

Do you have specific exercises in mind that strengthen the glutes? Wondering for my own IT issues. thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon 4 months after delivery - IT band problem [mellorite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure. If your gym has a hip abduction weight machine, you can use that. Abduction in anatomical terms is moving away from the body, so on that machine you'll spread your legs against resistance. If you don't have that machine, you can use a resistance band. Tie it to your ankle on one end and something sturdy and immobile on the other; abduct the leg.

Gyms usually have a 'glute machine' that you'd be extending your hip - pushing back with your foot on some bar and that would lift the weights. Look for that; if not, loop a resistance band and face whatever you're anchoring it to. It should be at ankle/knee level or so; put your foot in the other end so the arch of your foot is on the band; kick backward.

With the resistance band looped and fairly tight, place it around both knees. Lay on the ground on your side and bend your legs so they're at an angle. Ankles stay together, but lift your top knee against the resistance. The top foot should point up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi There!
Being the well known sufferer of ITB issues now healed (but was out for 2 years) I thought I would pipe in on this one...I learned from this phenomenal PT at Boulder Sports Center. I had been suffering from ITB issues which led to tightness/pain from knee up to lower back even and when she noticed my imbalances in my back and hips she quickly asked how soon I had started running after my kids. Sure enough I had started back up 6 weeks after my last child and she explained how she could tell because I had never let my ligaments and all get back to normal which now puts me at risk for imbalances and lower back issues. So my point is if you are struggling with ITB issues now and you plan to run soon after your next child I think that sets you up for failure since your ligaments and possible imbalances could be even greater then. By the way my youngest was 5 years old when she examined me and noted the ligaments meaning that if you run too early it will stay with you for a long time.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use a foam roller!! They are great for tight IT bands!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Judge? No way. I'm 26 weeks pregnant and had to stop running 2 weeks ago because I tore my gluteal medius muscle/tendon and it's starting to make me crazy. I can still swim, spin, bike & do the elliptical but I really miss running (& it kills even to walk.) Doing physical therapy now but it's slow healing. As for running afterwards, I'm hoping to get back to it pretty quickly- a few weeks? But I know that some say that may be too early. I'm hoping to have my little guy in the jogger by 8 weeks! Although maybe I'm being overly optimistic. Safety first of course, but I'm ready to get back to my regular training and introduce the little guy to that fun life! Oh- and I second the foam roller for IT band and I wouldn't do any water running unless ok'd by your Physical Therapist or Doctor.

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it! I did NYC mary last Sunday... my little last one turned 3 months old on Oct 29... Was dreaming of sub 3h30, but pretty happy with my 3h35. I'm back to my pre-race weight. So to every women out there who think you can, YOU CAN!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow!!! Congratulations! So glad you posted this updated.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply