Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Maltodextrin Issues
Quote | Reply
I am trying to assist my training partner with her IM Nutrition plan. She has been using Tailwind on her longer rides however, it is not recommended for use over six hours. I have suggested Infint Go Far for women Endurance Fuel. She has read Roar and is leery of products that contain maltodextrin.

What products and at what concentrate are you using?

Thank you.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin Issues [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where did you hear that Tailwind is not recommended for endurance efforts for longer than 6 hours? Many, many athletes who use Tailwind (including me) disagree.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin Issues [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is on the Caffeinated Endurance Fuel but not on the Endurance Fuel. She does like Tailwind, it will be much easier to have her continue using but at a more concentrated mix.

Which formula do you use and at what concentration? She is 5'3" racing weight 110-112.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My general guideline for caffeine in endurance situations was taken from my coaching mentor, who said "Don't use it until you need the angels to start singing".

I use strictly uncaffeinated TW, either the Naked or Mandarin formulas (Generally mandarin on the bike, and naked on the run, because usually I'm sick of flavor by the run, haha). In general, on the bike I use TW anywhere from 1.5-2x concentration, depending on weather conditions, intensity of work, etc. Has she done a sweat test, even a rudimentary one where she weighs herself before and after a workout, as well as all the fluids she's taken in? That's a good start to determine how much per hour/etc.

In general during the summer, I will take in a 24oz bottle on the bike once every 1:15 or 1:30, taking 3-4oz sips every 15 minutes. That's kind of the key with TW, is that you use it to top off the tank, not to completely refill it all in one go. If I'm running after the ride, about halfway through my ride I'll start taking in more so I go through a 24oz bottle once an hour to get a little more in the tank for the run, since it's harder to process anything on the run than on the bike.

As for carrying that much fuel for a longass ride in a race, I'll use a "sludge bottle" of highly concentrated TW, marking off graduated lines with # of calories that I've measured out, so I know exactly how much to mix in my BTA hydration tank with water from an aid station.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: Maltodextrin Issues [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I have huge issues digesting maltodextrin and fructose. They’re fermentables in the FODMAP world and they make you bloat and fart and worse. If you see people running/waddling an Ironman but they look 4 months pregnant then, presuming they’re not actually preggers, then it’s the fermentable fuels in their guts. I have tried everything under the sun and was using UCAN for a while but the texture is pretty blah. Then I looked into S-Fuels and liked the idea of the high molecular weight slow release carb because I work on being fat adapted. But it’s expensive, so then doing more investigations, I have found that I can buy high quality Cluster Dextrin (aka cyclic dextrin) and use a simple electrolyte tablet (with or without caffeine) to flavour it. In short, the cluster dextrin is a high molecular weight carb that is broken down far more slowly than maltodextrin or fructose and does not come with the fermenting side effects. I then eat a few jelly snakes to top up on fast release glucose if needed. This has helped my GI issues immensely, and it’s cost effective and low on waste product too.
Quote Reply