Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Looking for Female Perspective: Gray hair or cover it up on men
Quote | Reply
Ladies,

Looking for your perspective on men's hair; in my opinion, my gray hair makes me look 10-15 years older than any other part of my body.....when i ask people, i generally hear something like " oh, gray hair on men looks good" or " you look distinguished" , etc...but somehow i doubt they mean that. what do you all think ? Maybe i'm just chasing the proverbial joy of youth, but do you laugh behind your hand at a guy that gets rid of the gray ? i'm not talking about some cheap cpver-up, but having it done "right", etc.

Thanks for letting me post here and for your thoughts. I know i can get honesty here !

what means this word 'change'? .....
Rappstar
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Female Perspective: Gray hair or cover it up on men [rrfr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it. Older guys are hot.

My bf is 10 years older than me and he's getting more grey, even some white. I just told him he's the most interesting man in the world. And then he got some Dos Equis.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Female Perspective: Gray hair or cover it up on men [rrfr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the one thing that you need to keep in mind is the maintenence that would be involved in dying your hair - if your hair grows fast, you are going to have to touch up the roots more often. For some people, that isn't a big deal, but for others they just don't have the time or interest in the increased maintenence.

There are things that you can do to not make it a HUGE change - more subtle colors/highlights, etc. if you feel uncomfortable in drastic differences. In the end, you have to please yourself before you try to please other people. If covering up your gray hair would increase your confidence and self-image, then it might be the right choice for you. If you feel like people are telling you one thing but meaning another when they comment about your gray hair, you might feel the same when people say your dyed hair looks good. It's not about them, it's about you.

Bottom line is, it's not a tattoo - it can be put back to the original color if you hate the results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like grey. Pls don't dye it. You'll hate trying to keep up with it and it often will look obvious.

maybe just shave yer head ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
K, this is lame (bc I have the tv on too much), but you know those 'touch of gray' commercials? That's what you want to aim for.

I think a little bit of gray just makes a woman notice and appreciate a solid body that much more.

Also, what AP said - bald is hot!

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you married? Single? Looking?

If married, ask your wife.

If single and looking, who are you looking for? While some guys do look great gray, if you are looking for a 20-something girl I would say dye. If you are interested in women 35+ you might have better luck with the "distinguished look."

Is it ALL gray, or is it peppered with gray? If you make a drastic change, you will get comments.

Really, what it depends on is, how do you feel more confident? If it is a head of dark brown hair, then go for it.

Confidence is sexier than hair color.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good hair cut impresses me more than the colour of a guy's hair.

If you do colour, however, find a good colourist as a bad dye job will look worse than being gray.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh no please do not dye it! I have never seen a dye job on any man that looked natural or good.
get a great cut, and maybe a grey/silver enhacing shampoo. No no please dont dye it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends how old you are. In your 20s and prematurely gray, then go for a *good* dye job. 30s could go either way, 40 and up you are probably fine with the salt and pepper look. It is odd to see a 50 year old man with no gray, but I wouldn't notice at 40, so it depends. What do your peers look like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously, you need to post a photo!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like grey. Let it be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO a man trying to cover up gray hair is as bad as a man with either a comb over or a man with a toupee! Embrace it man. Gray hair on men is HOT HOT HOT! Even better if you have the body to go with it - makes it even more HOTastic! Just make sure you have a fun haircut; don't 'get an old man haircut. That would make you look old. :) Hope you stay gray!

Quote | Reply
I'm 59 and starting to show about 30-40% gray. My hair dresser has suggested what he calls "downlights". Apparently it is a subtle procedure and gradually fads out. I can't see dying per sae as you have to grow it out and there is nothing sillier than a phoney looking dye job on an older guy. The "downlights" would seem like a better option.

I've thought about it but doubt if I'll ever bother. I'm fortunate enough to still have all my hair at my age and still wear it a bit longish, so a bit of gray isn't such a bad thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Female Perspective: Gray hair or cover it up on men [FeltLikeTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"bald is hot! "

Only with a goatee, beer belly and a Harley. :-)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by rrfr [ In reply to ]
Re: Looking for Female Perspective: Gray hair or cover it up on men [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"bald is hot! "

Only with a goatee, beer belly and a Harley. :-)

Um, minus the beer belly, and swap the Harley for a tri bike. :D

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with regard to the photo, wouldn't it look odd to have dark hair on your head with greys on your chest? if you often go shirtless, this could be a consideration.

as others have said, dyeing hair is something you'd have to stay on top of. i bleach mine, but since i don't care about the roots showing, i only do so about once a year - when it gets to the point that you can't see any blonde when it's back in a ponytail (~7" of brown), i spend the $15 on a bleach kit and do it at home. if i had to go to a stylist, i'd probably just let it go...but then again, i haven't been to a hairdresser since 2003! my hair isn't something on which i like to spend time or money; wash it, brush it, and get it the hell out of my way!

i'd agree that letting the grey be shows confidence.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Nice! I would leave it as it is.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Martin.
Sean Connery
George Clooney

I'm pretty sure they do okay with chicks.

The answer is the same for balding/greying earlier in life...whatever...women like a man that is comfortable with the way he looks - no matter what the look. Bad dye job on a man screams insecurity.

The trick is take whatever the good lord gave ya...then MAKE IT HOT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leave it, looks good!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I say this with utmost respect - My husband is a furry fellow - we keep it under control with a little weed wacking from time to time. I say pull out the weed eater and cut your hair a tad bit shorter as well. Outside of that if you dye it you will look totally dumb. If you get your hair cut don't go to grandpa jones either, go to a good salon. You look GREAT - embrace it!

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ok, here's a pic of me after a race, musing if i would have been faster w/ dark hair......

Just cut it a bit shorter and leave it grey! You look great!
Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Female Perspective: Gray hair or cover it up on men [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My hair dresser

Dude.....

Quote Reply
Re: Looking for Female Perspective: Gray hair or cover it up on men [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Dude..... "

When was the last time you saw a red/white candy stripe post with "barber" on the sign post. I'm not really sure if the guy calls himself "hair dresser", "hair stylist", "hair cutter" "hair salon" or whatever. Don't really care, the guy does both dude/gal hair and is really good at what he does. My wife and I both go to him.

If I really wanted my head shaved I'd either do it myself or join the Marines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When was the last time you saw a red/white candy stripe...

Actually the last time I saw a hair stylist/barber/etc was A DAMN LONG TIME AGO, OK?! I'M BALD!!!!! :)

I was just jokin' with ya. Seriously, though, I am bald.

Quote Reply

Prev Next