Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leanda Cave and her speech
Quote | Reply
I was reading over on tri forum about Leandas speech after winning Kona. It was said that she swore a lot and that she startednher speech saying she did not like speeches s&$@. This got me thinking. Is s%&$ a bad word? I mean English is my second language and I kindause that word all the time especially on the bike when something bad is going to happen. Its always oh s@&$& or just s@&$@ I really dont say that word to ofend anyone its just that maybe to me since cursing in English does not seem so harsh as cursing in Spanish. The feeling for the words are not there as they are in Spanish. Someone told me once that its better to say crap and Crap I keep forgetting to do that
Quote Reply
Re: Leanda Cave and her speech [spintela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you referring to shit?

Quote | Reply
Haha yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on the situation or with whom I am conversing, shit comes out of my mouth a lot. I usually say the word when describing the style of something, hearing or reading something ridiculous, poop or something broke or cheap in quality. I don't consider it to be a bad word unless used in professional situations. Also, I would rather hear another say shit over calling a female bitch. For some reason that word makes me cringe.

Quote | Reply
spintela wrote:
I was reading over on tri forum about Leandas speech after winning Kona. It was said that she swore a lot and that she startednher speech saying she did not like speeches s&$@. This got me thinking. Is s%&$ a bad word? I mean English is my second language and I kindause that word all the time especially on the bike when something bad is going to happen. Its always oh s@&$& or just s@&$@ I really dont say that word to ofend anyone its just that maybe to me since cursing in English does not seem so harsh as cursing in Spanish. The feeling for the words are not there as they are in Spanish. Someone told me once that its better to say crap and Crap I keep forgetting to do that

¿Te acuerdas cuando los "Hombres G" llegaron a México en los 80s? Todo mundo se escandalizó con la canción de "Sufre Mamón". Lo que la gente no entendía es que "mamón" en España no era tan fuerte como "mamón" en México. En España era más como "Ñoño".

Lo que entiendo es que en el Reino Unido y Australia "shit" no es tan fuerte como en EEUU.

Y sí, entiendo lo que dices. En México todo el tiempo usaba "shit", pero ahora en Los Ángeles, ya no tanto por lo mismo de que es una "grosería".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it's considered a bad word in English, but one that many, many people use quite often. I don't have a problem with anyone saying it, but I would never use it in front of someone I didn't know really well. Definitely would never use it in a professional setting.
Quote Reply
Re: Leanda Cave and her speech [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto and I don't let my kids use it. I hear their friends use it all the time, it's become a sentence ender. I typically don't care if people use the occasional "bad" word but I do pick up on swearing because I work in Jr High and that is something we (obviously) crack down on, my ears are trained to listen for it, LOL. I was raised in a strict household where we couldn't use the words crap or fart, so I am a bit looser with my kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not hear her speech but it sounded like it was just poorly prepared. Saying 'shit' a few times for emphasis is not much to flinch at, as there are worse words in the English language that have more stigma associated with them. Saying it again and again is distracting, indeed.

I highly doubt there were very many children in attendance as it is invite-only, evening dinner (or at least it was when I last attended), and honestly, it's her night. She can blubber her way through it, even if it makes it confusing, uncomfortable or weird for the rest of it. How many completely awkward and awful Oscar speeches have we seen?... sheesh.

I was there in '07 when Chrissie won for the first time, and she gave a wonderful, eloquent speech that was extremely prepared and effective. Macca on the other hand, could barely make coherent sentences because his ego and self-infatuation were clouding whatever shred of intelligence he might have.

But they are athletes, not speech writers. They race hard and they are fast. Not all of them are fantastic role models, articulate speakers or educated human beings. It is what it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Leanda Cave and her speech [npda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" Macca on the other hand, could barely make coherent sentences because his ego and self-infatuation were clouding whatever shred of intelligence he might have."

Ouch!!! Why do you hate Aussies so much?
Quote Reply
Re: Leanda Cave and her speech [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, I have nothing against Aussies... e.g. Sally Pearson- interviewed very well after her WR and gold in London.

The stark contrast between the "I am so awesome, everyone should worship me!" Macca attitude and the humble, hilarious account of Chrissie just made Macca look like an idiot. But he was the fastest that day. And that's my point, it's their day- they won, it's their moment. Leanda swore a little, and rambled on, whatever!
Quote Reply