Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ladies what are you doing post swim to recover (your looks)
Quote | Reply
What the heck do you do after swimming? Seriously, I'm tired of wasting money on cosmetics and other supplies that don't work. Do you have something you use after you swim that you swear by and love:
  • Shampoo and conditioner
  • Eye cream
  • Face moisturizer
  • Body wash or soap
  • Lotion
I have nothing to recommend, but a long list of stuff that doesn't work: Kiehl's, Lancome, Aubrey Organics, I've tried everything from cheap to expensive and haven't found anything I would recommend.
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies what are you doing post swim to recover (your looks) [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just use that Ultraswim shampoo. For lotions, I use whatever is on sale at Walgreens or Body Shop or wherever, but I slather it on right after every single shower.

Face: Avon stuff in the green jar (Renew?) Swear by that.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies what are you doing post swim to recover (your looks) [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Aveda's Detox shampoo...my hair was getting to a straw like consistency and this stuff seems to help.

Lotion - whatever's in the gym bag, use alot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My two big things: I use a spray on conditioner (I think Pantene makes it) in addition to 'normal' conditioner. (I've also found that I need to shampoo twice to get the chlorine smell out) I also swear by this body-butter consistency lotion that Nivea makes, I think it's just called Nivea Creme. It comes in a tub (I've seen the travel size at some drug stores, and here in the PacNW, at Fred Meyer.) My skin gets really dry from swimming (and the multiple showers that it necessitates) and this stuff absorbs well, isn't greasy and smells nice. Plus it's like five bucks for the big tub.

I can't say I don't still look like crap after swimming (what with the goggle marks and all) but at least my hair and skin feel good! I'm also "fortunate" enough to work at a newspaper with a bunch of super casual boys who are used to me coming in with wet hair and goggle marks, so I've got that going for me! :-D

Michelle

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this the part where I come in and say something like "Erika, there is nothing you could do post swim to improve on perfection..." or something along those lines? :)
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies what are you doing post swim to recover (your looks) [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohh, how sweet! You obviously haven't seen my dried out skin and raccoon eyes after a swim workout. Otherwise you'd be shipping me a tub of moisturizer. Um, don't do that though, my husband might get suspicious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, I'll just tell him I borrowed it from you in Vegas...oh wait, maybe that's worse. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies what are you doing post swim to recover (your looks) [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Is this the part where I come in and say something like "Erika, there is nothing you could do post swim to improve on perfection..." or something along those lines? :)[/reply]

You are going to fit in here just fine.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A cap!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, this is why I went from hair to the middle of my back to about an inch all over. It was fried!!!

I use an amazing face cream called Hydase. It is kind of expensive but it is the only thing, I have found that works.

Nivea cream and Aquaphor are awesome, too.

I usually do put on a cap, though. I am a slug these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best thing I found was moving to a SEAL mask, honestly. The fit is not nearly as tight as goggles, comfy, and doesn't leave you with marks. None at all for me. The next best tip, I like using a chamois as a towel. No drying myself with a real cotton towel - I have really dry skin. The chamois is great, leaves me a *little* damp, and ready for the lotion. Plus, I never take it out of my swim bag and so can't forget it. I rinse it out with soap right after I dress each swim session. Easy.

I like the olay regenerist line. But even after putting that on my face, I still put on the Eucerin Creme. I really like the Eucerin Plus for the rest of me. Does a good job of holding in moisture, and is easy to put on. My hands take the chlorine the worst. I like the Eucerin Plus Hand creme. (I feel like a commercial now.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
luckily, my boyfriend is a swimmer so we both smell like chlorine, all of the time...

Shampoo: Suave 2 in 1 kids shampoo. I'm pretty attached to the "strawberry smoothie" scent.
Lotion: Curel unscented something-or-other. That actually seems to work pretty well.

I've kind of given up on keeping my hair in any decent shape, though. No matter how many times I shampoo, still chlorine damaged...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies what are you doing post swim to recover (your looks) [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What an appropriate thread! I'm sitting here at work post lunch swim with my hair pulled back into a bun, nothing but mascara and lipstick on....
I use the TriSwim shampoo and cond. No problems with chlorine smell, plus I like the way it smells. I'm a Cetaphil whore, so I use the face wash, body wash, lotion, and face moisturizer after.

I try to keep it to a minimum since I'm always rushed to get back to work.

Come crawling faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great and perfect timing. For the first time in my life I have had a bout of excema and tried to stay out of the pool for a short period of time. I'm back now and am slathering myself in Eucerin Intenstive Repair which actaully seems to keep my skin feeling like a real person's.

Anyone have any problems with excema and advice on how they cope with it while trying to swim on a regular schedule?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After swimming in chlorinated pools for over 30 years, I would suggest the following:

- Shampoo: Pick something that is specifically designed to remove chlorine. UltraSwim Shampoo and Malibu Swim & Sport are two such products. There are others. There is a huge difference between swimmer-specific shampoos and anything else out there.

- Conditioner: Hmm, don't use it, but if you are using a swim-specific shampoo, then I would guess any conditioner is fine.

- Eye Cream, Moisturizer, Lotion: I use Cetaphil Moisturizing cream around my eyes and on my face; it comes in a tub at your local pharmacy. I use Eucerin Original Moisturizing Lotion for the rest of the body.

- Body Wash: Just use the same Malibu Swim & Sport for my body. Soap is too drying. Or you can try a gentle non-soap product like Phisoderm. UltraSwim used to make a great body wash, but it is no longer available in the US.

One other recommendation is that you should minimize your time standing in a hot shower right after your swim. Although it feels really good on the muscles, it isn't very good for your skin. And as someone else already said, always put on all your moisturizers and lotions as soon as you dry off from your shower.

Good Luck.
BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies what are you doing post swim to recover (your looks) [byrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, Gent here.

Byrd, your excema post caught my attention. Yes I deal with it and after 3 docs....the last being a Derm that was the advise I was given. Deal with it.

Mine is on my feet....always. Occasionally I get outbreaks on my elbows, fingers and palms. I've been prescribe some steriodal cream that really does a good job at knocking it back and controlling the itch but it is only temporary. From my own research it is thought to be a) Allergic reaction b) "leaky gut syndrome" c) Celiac...which kinda goes with b.

I don't have any problem with the pool. My min pool time is 3x/week, 1 hr workouts.

I ought to buy stock in Cortaide !

Hurry Up Every Chance You Get

(formerly LuctorEtEmergo)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way ladies.......

I know you girls like to "dress up" for each other but that "Fresh From the Gym" look is Hot ! Go with that.

Hurry Up Every Chance You Get

(formerly LuctorEtEmergo)
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies what are you doing post swim to recover (your looks) [LuctorEtEmergo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously? I always feel like I look like a drowned rat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul Mitchell puts out a shampoo that is for removing the chlorine as well. I think it is called Shampoo 3. I use it after I swim.

The goggle marks are just there. HAvne't learned anything to take care of that. I also use Neutragena Sensitive Skin FAce lotion with a q-tip to remove eye makeup around my eye only. That helps put moisture back into the eye area. It's non-cccc?????/sp. whatever the word is for not clogging your pores.

I also use Aveno body wash for dry senstive skin. No soap. Smells clean and refreshing, non drying, etc . However, my fiancee says he still can smell chlorine on me after I use it. I can't though becuase I am so use to the chlorine smell. Basincally, though it doesn't further dry out my skin.

I swear by Curel lotions. No mineral oil in most of the Curel products. I am allergic to mineral oil. They have one that smells like vanilla. My favorite scent.

Ohhhh! I once heard that to protect your hair to pre wet it before getting in the pool. Supposedly it gets the hair shaft wet and you don't get as much chlorinated water in it. Anyone ever heard of that one?
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies what are you doing post swim to recover (your looks) [NCCB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once heard that to protect your hair to pre wet it before getting in the pool. Supposedly it gets the hair shaft wet and you don't get as much chlorinated water in it. Anyone ever heard of that one?

I have heard of that one, and I do that faithfully. It seems to help with the damage, but my hair still smells like pool water. Some ladies in my old masters group used to put conditioner/oil on their hair before putting their swim caps on, but I like the lycra swim caps, so I don't think that would do me (or the pool water) much good. But if you use the rubber swim caps, it supposedly works great.

M

Quote Reply
Re: Ladies what are you doing post swim to recover (your looks) [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard it as well -- and do it, and find that it helps.

The downside of using conditioner as well (which I haven't tried) is that it is not so great for the pool filters. Same as the oils on our skin (which is why all the signs about showering before swimming).

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies what are you doing post swim to recover (your looks) [mdraegernyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take a quick shower before getting in the pool and add conditioner, usually Pantene. It works great!
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies what are you doing post swim to recover (your looks) [kylie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes sense. That would explain why it's a hair stylist making that recommendation and not an aquatics director! :-D

M

Quote Reply
Re: Ladies what are you doing post swim to recover (your looks) [byrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another excema dealer here (also not so thrilled with the dermatologist advice). I find the pool doesn't always make it worse -- for me it's more stress and travel (weird soaps I think) related. Although I also make sure to shower right out of the pool to get the chemicals off.

I often use a generic liquid soap as a body wash. I love it -- it seems to work well on the chlorine smell -- it's cheap -- and it smells great! It's a peppermint one by Dr. Bronner. I get it at Trader Joe's, but Sprouts also has it, and online some places. Very concentrated, so I keep a travel shampoo thing of it in my swim bag with about half soap, half water. Put a little on a loofa and I'm good to go :) The site with it is drbronner.com, but I can't get there right now.

---
Miles of Life --- Powered by MarkyV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a tougher price point to swallow but I've fallen in love with Keihl's products. Their olive oil shampoo and conditioner makes my hair so soft like nothing else (though Dove conditioner was a close second). Though I have really thick hair and imagine it may weigh down thinner hair. I also have a Kiehl's face wash I use after swimming which is gentler which is exactly what your face needs after swimming. Oh yeah, and then Keihl's eye cream and face moisturizer. It's wicked expensive but so worth it...I figure it's the equivilent of what I would be paying if I had a Starbucks habit.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies what are you doing post swim to recover (your looks) [Meowelk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG I use the seal mask too for the same reasons! I don't care how goofy it looks. I don't have to deal with racoon eyes. SOmetimes my eyes do get puffy after and I use hemorrhiod creme. I always use Oil of Olay after swimming.I keep Oil of Olay in my car too to put on during the ride home or anytime my skin is dry. I also use Vit C ester after every face washing right before moisturinzing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next