Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ladies bikes
Quote | Reply
Sorry for a dumb question. I want to buy my gf a bike, she is just starting out. I guess I have had no reason to look into the subject before, but was looking for some thoughts on a ladies specific bike vs a men's bike. There seems to be a very limited choice on the women's side of things. I have asked a few bike shops with men assistants and got conflicting views.

One said short legged women would suite a men's bike? She is actually quite short legged, not that I would mention that of course!

We were looking at the Spez Allez, appreciate your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies bikes [Roydema] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How tall is she?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two bikes - a Cannondale CAAD 8 and a Trex Lexa. The Lexa is a women's specific design. I love that bike. It is very comfy - I didn't even have to change the saddle (often stock saddles are not great). I can't say that it fits better BECAUSE it is a women's bike, but it's a possibility. I think the best thing you could do is have her involved in the buying process so she can test ride and see what feels good.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your GF has short legs and a long torso, she may fit better on a men's bike.

Most of the women's specific design come with a shorter top tube because women typically have a shorter torso and longer legs than a man of the same height.

HOWEVER, the good thing about WSD bikes is that they come with narrower bars more suited for a women and a saddle that is better suited for a female geometry.

If this is her first bike and her introduction to riding, she may like the geometry of a WSD because it will allow her to be more upright. You won't know until she rides a few bikes. So best bet is to go try bikes. Go to a few shops and try a bunch of different bikes. See what she feels most comfortable on.

And have fun bike shopping! It is one of my favorite things to do! There is nothing like having a new bike to get you out riding!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite a few WSD are just men's frames in different colors. Some of those will have narrower bars and a women's saddle, but they are still frames designed for men. And some bike store employees don't know this or they do and are just retrying to a sale. You can look at geometry of the bike to see if it's different than the comparable men's bike. Bikes that have different names are usually different frames, but not always.

Best to get a fit on the bike rather than rely on some guy at a bike store who might just be making crap up :-). A little research on manufactures web sites will provide a lot of info on similarities and differences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With short legs and a long torso, she should look at the Felt ZW series.
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies bikes [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many thanks for the feedback. I did try to manage this towards my budget, rather than giving her free reign of the shop, but relalise fit wise that does not make sense. I know its a nice colour, but its 3K darling!!.

I like the look of the Felt, right in my budget!.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your bike shop offers any professional bike fitting I would suggest to your gf to call and see if she can make an appointment. It makes all the difference in the world on comfort and performance. Is your bike shop a Specialized dealer? If so ask if they offer Body Geometry fitting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have short legs and a long torso. I have two Scott bikes and I find they fit me best. However, I would recommend her trying several different brands out and see what is more comfortable for her. If she is serious about cycling/triathlon then I would recommend a bike fit, but those are expensive. Good luck!

Interested in individualized training? Check out http://www.bigskymultisportcoaching.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aah! This reminds me when my small kid asks me to buy a bike trailer for him. Then I was asking people that you have done here. However, I found solutions and bought a baby bike trailer form him from Booyah Strollers website. Well my suggestion is visit a bike dealer and asks them to show you the ladies bikes and choose yours according to your GF height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terry bikes are quite nice. I have a 650c titanium Isis which I really enjoy riding. Georgena Terry is very well regarded in the women's road bike community. I don't believe she designs triathlon bikes, though. http://www.terrybicycles.com/Bikes_2
Quote Reply
Re: Ladies bikes [TLB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, I was fitted for my Trek at a local bike shop and am so glad I did. What a difference!
Quote Reply