Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Labor Doulas?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone used a doula for delivery? After attending the first two days of our lamaze classes at the hospital, I'm thinking it might be helpful. Any suggestions?
Curiously, what was the cost? Based on the class, I know they are expensive but we were never given any hard numbers.

If you did use one, how did you find her? I'm looking at the DONA website and there do not seem to be a ton out there. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Labor Doulas? [roxiegirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi !! No, I didn't use one - but if you start asking around, you'll be amazed by the number of people that have used one or knows of someone that is one.

Best of luck to you !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know one as a personal friend in Indiana. She absolutely loves the work. I have no idea what the cost or experience is but she & the others she's associated with gush and talk all the time about the job they do & how much they love it.

I'm still at the point that the concept of pregnancy & birth makes me incredibly nauseous, so their discussions often involve me with my hands over my ears. I have dogs. That's about all I can handle right now. Good luck & congratulations.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a labor doula. She was really helpful, and I would recommend it especially if you are trying to go natural.

My doula was in the process of being certified by DONA, so she charged me half her normal rate. I paid $300. This included several pre-labor visits, a massage before and after delivery, staying with me at the hospital for about 8 hours through my labor (in the middle of the night), and a follow-up visit at home a few days after the baby was born. Plus, she was on call and available through email when I had questions for her.

I found her through DONA, but you could also ask your OB or midwife. We have a local maternity store that sponsors a "get to know the doulas" night. Maybe you have something like that in your area?
Quote Reply
Re: Labor Doulas? [Artemis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight. I'm headed back to the doctor again on Monday and am planning to discuss in more detail with her. It's good to hear that they are very helpful. And the cost seems consistent. I have a meeting scheduled with one next Wednesday evening. Fees range from $600-$1000 depending upon what services you obtain.

Thanks!
Quote Reply