Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LBS Ladies Night
Quote | Reply
I'm all excited about the ladies night last night at my LBS and now there's a women's forum on Slowtwitch - this is great!

Last night my LBS (West Point Cycles in Vancouver) had a ladies night, it was a very cool event. They had the wonderful idea of tying in two things I love - bikes and chocolate. The official title was "Lindt Ladies Night" and it was partially sponsored by Lindt, who provided a chocolate fondue, and by a local restaurant, who provided dessert. Reps from Sugoi, Shimano and Trek were there and did their speil on their products, focussing on women-specific topics - Sugoi talked mostly about bike shorts, Shimano mostly about shoes and Trek about bike fit.

I don't know how many women were at the event but the store was filled way beyond capacity. There were lots of laughs and a very positive vibe. They didn't seem to sell a lot during the event but they built up a huge amount of goodwill and I'm sure they'll get a ton of return visits, it got me thinking about going in for a bike fit.

I thought it was a great event. While I was there I was thinking about recent posts on ST about LBS owners not understanding the women's market, this store definitely gets it (and always has, I've been going there for years) and will make a lot of money because of it.

As I said, I was excited about the event and now I'm happy I have a place to share the details on ST!
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Ladies Night [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fantastic! That sounds like such a wonderful idea!! Can I borrow that idea for my guys' new shop?

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Ladies Night [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go for it! I think it's a great idea and would love to see it replicated (I want the local tri store to do something similar so I have more chances to win door prizes!).

I think the details are still up on the West Point website, www.westpointcycles.com.

Let us know how it goes if you do an event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A very good idea that more bike shops would be wise to tune into..add to that some simple bike mechanic workshops for women as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is great! i am actually hoping to direct my career towards the women's cycling /triathlon business in marketing. there are differences between men and women in terms of needs for equiptment that companies are juuuuust starting to figure out. And still, many of the designers and engineers are men. its time for that to change :)

"What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass for six hours a day. What are YOU on?" - Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Ladies Night [flyer521] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool! Be great to see more women behind the scenes in the sport.

The rep from Shimano joked that she really needed our feedback as she was the only femal rep (I'm not sure if that was for the province or the country) so at meetings everyone else would turn to her for all issues relating to women - "Do women like this colour??" No pressure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are also ladies-only bike mechanic courses over at The Bike Gallery on 10th & Sasamat in West Point Grey, near UBC.

Stephen over there is great!

-cj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was the Shimano rep Elladee? If so, she is by far the best person I've ever dealt with at Shimano, or most other companies for that matter. Too bad more companies can't find people like her to represent their products.
Quote Reply
Re: LBS Ladies Night [Timemachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never caught her name but that could be her (it was something slightly unusual). She seemed pretty cool.
Quote Reply