Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Knee pain
Quote | Reply
About 3 weeks ago, I went out for a run and noticed a nagging pain in the outside of my lower left knee. Being no stranger to knee problems (my knees sound like Rice Krispies when I bend them), I thought nothing of it and kept running. Bad idea - I ended up barely able to walk, crying just getting up the stairs to my apartment .. you get the picture. So after 3 weeks of virtually no running (driving me nuts!) and lots of icing and stretching, I'm able to run 1 mile before it just starts all over again. Big whoop.

I know that things like this take time, but surely there's something I haven't thought of? Anyone have a similar problem? It's just that my first race of the season is in just a few weeks, and though it's not a "big" race, I'd like to actually be ABLE to run the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee pain [carolinagrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you been to the doctor/pt yet?

Quote | Reply
"About 3 weeks ago, I went out for a run and noticed a nagging pain in the outside of my lower left knee."

You have two left knees?

I had this same injury, turned out to be a nasty ITB injury. I couldn't climb stairs or stand up from my desk without tears for weeks. While at physio, my PT analyzed my running form and told me that I was rolling my left ankle and landing on my heel which are two excellent methods for developing an ITB injury.

Quote Reply
Re: Knee pain [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha .. I meant the lower PART of my left knee. If I had 2 left knees, I'd just trade out and get rid of the one I've got now, it sucks. :)

I went to the ortho, who said ITBS, then sent me to the PT. PT gave me some exercises to do - problem is, I can already DO them. Bridges with 1 leg were supposed to be the "goal," and I don't have much of a problem with them. I told her as much after a week, but when she watched me run, she declared that there's nothing I'm doing wrong, and told me to start running again. A lot of good that did, since obviously I haven't made it very far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need a foam roller.

Search on the main forum for "Coping with / preventing IT band trouble" - I had some trouble this fall and this thread was awesome.

Foam roller pretty much saved my life LOL.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like an ITB problem to me as well.

I fell on a 60k night hike, and I had a badly bruised tibia I was having trouble putting weight on; b/c I was still had over halfway to go, my form went off and I started having ITB problems following the hike. I was convinced it couldn't be that since I thought it was a traumatic injury and ITB is usually an overuse/poor form injury, but my doctor pointed out how it happened.

Anyways, stretching is huge. Tigerchik is right, foam rollers are the best. The rolling will hurt like hell - more than I realized possible - but keep it up (I broke up the rolling into small bits) and it will get better.

My sports doc, who is huge on training through injury where possible, told me NOT to train through pain, and he also cautioned me about hills (apparently, running up the ski hill near my house repeatedly on my LSDs was a bad idea). It's frustrating, but don't train through the pain, and try to pick out flat routes if possible.

I'd also see a physio or sports doc to confirm what exactly is going on, of course :) Oh duh, you have....the roller! It's the best!
Last edited by: Teags: Feb 18, 09 16:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am working on knee pain too. I see an ART (active release techniques) practicioner, and I have started a sports rehab program. I second the foam roller! Those are awesome. Another good product is "the stick" you can usually find it in running stores.
For me, I am doing a lot to strengthen my weak ankles, they were rolling around and torquing on my knee. Both the sports rehab guy and my ART lady concur on that one (they know each other, too).

I also found I run on the outsides of my feet. I had my running gait analyzed. I also had it looked at in my "old" running shoes, and the Newtons I started running in this fall, and the sports rehab guy said my gait looked better in the Newtons.

So, I'd sum it up by saying: ART, foam roller, stick, strength training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok listen- Everyone on here knows that I had this problem and it sidelined me for 21 mos with eventually needing surgery. Which was awesome and today I ran 9 miles.

So here are my tips....if it starts to hurt at 1 mile you went too far. Seriously start at 1/2 mile and stop and then next time the same and maybe the following week go to 3/4 mile. If you keep flaring it up you will start to build up thick scar tissue from chronic inflammation. I agree on the foam roller and ITB stretches remember to do hams, quads, and thenITB stretch as just doing ITB first isn't as effective.
I would also suggest advil around the clock to get inflammation down for 2-3 weeks keep it in the car and at home and don't forget to take it. I would ice after you do your PT exercises.

As for PT if you aren't feeling it then either you are doing it wrong or you need a different PT who can give you the right exercises. I went through 2 until I found the right one who totally found my weakness.

Once you are back to running for 15 min then I would consider an analysis as they can tell if you are putting unnecessary strain.

PM me if you want more info. My biggest suggestion and please learn from me is to take it easy it may seem horrible to take 4-6 weeks off but its alot better than 21mos later (I even had someone tell me this 3 weeks into my injury and didn't buy it until I had to figure it out on my own) Also one more thing if you keep flaring it up the tightness at your knee will start to go to your hip and then your back and then you just hurt all the time!

Hope that helps!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: Knee pain [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with COTrimom! Don't "run through the pain" when it comes to your knees!!! I should have put that in my post.
Quote Reply
Re: Knee pain [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh wow - you have made lots of progress! excited to hear about your run!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Knee pain [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Believe me I am so thrilled and almost started to ball when I finished my long run last week. I am thankful every day for a second chance at this. Listening to your body is huge- your mind can really screw you up! Thanks for all the help and advice!

COtrimom

Quote Reply