Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude?
Quote | Reply
That was interesting. I have never done a women's only tri, and have usually shied away from this kind of thing. But I wanted to get in one more sprint before the Apple Olympic in Mid August, and this fit the bill. The race itself was well organized and had all sorts of women participating including a large number of whom I expect would never sign up for a mixed race.

My BF was kinda cheesed about the women-only thing; his point being that tri #s for women have dramatically improved over the last decade (which is true) and that if there had been a men's only race, well... there would have been cries of discrimination. I recall the days of 80/20 splits between the genders, when the machismo at races was over the top. But that was a long time ago (or so it feels, I started racing almost a decade ago, so it feels like a long time...) and I don't notice that same vibe at races anymore. Then again, I've always been a tomboy and not afraid of guys. Maybe it's me, maybe not.

My Q to my cohorts here: Are women's only tri's still relevant?

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely they are still relevant and needed. You said it yourself in your own post: "...all sorts of women participating including a large number of whom I expect would never sign up for a mixed race". For that reason alone, I think women-only races are great. There would never be a situation where a guy wouldn't do a co-ed race simply because there were women there, but the reverse is true. Women-only races are a great way to get started in the sport. It was my first race (although I would have done a co-ed race as well - the one I did just seemed kinder and gentler).
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally, I would rather see "beginner only" events, mixed gender.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of people, men or women, who really don't realize how intimidating competing in a sport with men can be for some women. As a way to get new comers into the sport and to build their confidence women's only events make sense to me. However, if the race doesn't cater to beginners and is just a women's only event, I don't really understand the attraction and it's not a draw at all for me.

I did the Diva women's only tri in my first year of racing and although it wasn't my first tri I found it much less intimidating than the two co-ed races I'd done. Sort of an anti-HTFU vibe. It was also a big confidence booster before my first olympic race as I placed well ahead of a lot of beginners. Maybe if it had a course I like (I don't like the pool and I find the bike course mind-numbingly dull) I'd want to do it again, but I far prefer an open water swim and a scenic bike course. Plus, I like the eye candy in a co-ed race!!

Good luck at the Apple. Unless of course you're W3539 in which case, well, good luck anyway!
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And that's always been my feeling. I really don't like the idea of a women's only race. I'd rather see more try-a-tri's.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a guy, I can say that women's races dont bother me at all. In Wisconsin at least, there are plenty of triathlons I can sign up for. If women's only tri's help encourage mor women to take up the sport and live a healthy lifestyle, then more power to them.

Go that way really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they're still relevant, because they provide a less intimidating way to get women to try the sport. My first was a women's sprint, and I still do it every year.. and say good job to every girl I see out there.. I love the companionship/friendly-ness of the event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Women's only triathlons are geared toward women which means more fun! You can get a feminine looking race tee or other gear, typically there is charity focus such as breast or ovarian cancer, there are dads standing around with the kids, and the women bring their friends and have a good time.

It's like girls night out--only it's for racing. The bottom line, I have non-athletic female friends who are interested in triathlon and they always ask about the women's only tris. Why? Because it sounds more fun then "Try a tri".

There are many women's only triathlons in my area that sell out in a matter of days! See Valley Girl or Wunderwoman triathlons in Spokane, Wa. I don't see how you can look at the participation at Danskin races and not understand why there is a need for women's only triathlons.

Also, I believe there was a men's only triathlon scheduled the same weekend as a women's only tri in Northern CA and the men's tri was canceled.

I understand that women with lots of racing experience don't understand the need for women's only tris which is fine! You might want to be aware that turning your nose up at them in front of beginners is a bit trichic-snobby.

As far as the men go, there are races every weekend in the summer, if they are finding a weekend lacking, how about talking to the area race director and getting another tri added to the schedule?
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [runlikeamother] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that it is a great way for women to get into the sport without being intimidated. I did a Danskin race my first tri season and it was kind of nice. There were no egos at that race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Women's Only Tris (it's another opportunity to race!) I see a lot of mother/daughters doing the race and think it's great. I will say i don't get why they are necessary, but if it gets people moving and doing tris then I think it's great.
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I understand that women with lots of racing experience don't understand the need for women's only tris which is fine! You might want to be aware that turning your nose up at them in front of beginners is a bit trichic-snobby.

...as a guy I think its great to have a "womens only" option...it is discriminatory and I dont care....If they were not relevant then they would not sell out like they do...

I totally agree with Trailbait about coming across as tri snobby....

we have our first one here in the Twin Cities this August and its been sold out for awhile....Some women want the "girls only" option for all kinds of reasons (less intimidating being one) and that is great...brings more people in the sport....if i was in town I would go help out, its great to encourage all kinds of people to participate and this is A PROVEN SUCCESSFUL way to get more people introduced in the sport and the world of exercise....

We dont need "Men Only" events because we are hard wired differently and would not likely attract more guys by excluding women.....probably just the opposite since we enjoy the scenery to much...
Last edited by: Steve-oH!: Jul 28, 08 6:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Personally, I would rather see "beginner only" events, mixed gender.

clm

that is a very innovative idea to have beginner only events!

for the women's only events, i feel they are discriminatory and perpetuate sexism.
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly don't mean it to come across as tri-chick-snobby, but you have to remember I am a man trapped in a woman's body ;-) by that I mean, I've always played with the boys and have never really been intimidated by them. But I guess what I'm trying to say is that, after participating in a women's only event, I guess I can get an idea of the differences between the different events - and maybe see why they still have appeal.

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to somewhat agree with you--I think that if there were a men's only tri, women would be burning their bras outside the transition area. Seriously, women clammer for equal rights and then demand segregated races, gyms, etc. Seems like a double standard to me.

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two toddlers in the house and they ask about what's better, boys or girls, and we stress that they are just different, one is not better than the other. Yesterday's race really was different all right. ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that it would be fun to have a women's only ironman.... or at least for the swim part - then I can prevent getting pounded by the large men. ha ha ha ha ha

I can see having some women's only races. I have a friend who probably wouldn't have done a tri ever if it hadn't been for the danskin series. it's gotten her on the road to health, and as far as I'm concerned, any way you can get more people on the way to health and fitness is a good thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

that is a very innovative idea to have beginner only events!

for the women's only events, i feel they are discriminatory and perpetuate sexism.
Concur; I have absolutely no problem with the concept at all, and I'm not "offended" at all as a man; however, the existence of an all-women's triathlon COULD imply in the mind of SOME men that women feel they need to be separated from men to succeed... and that's a far cry from true equality in my mind... which is ultimately the point, isn't it?

Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that there is a group of women who would feel much more comfortable in a women's only event, especially as a first tri, because it's less intimidating. (I don't know any men who are intimidated by competing with women.) For that reason, I think they should continue. I also like the idea of "Try A Tris". I love kids tris. Anything that gets people up and moving is good.

On a slight tangent though... Out of about 6 tris that I've done only one has been a women's only (a Lunabar event). There were more hard core, OBNOXIOUS women in that race than any of the coed ones. They sneered at the newbies and were not supportive of anyone but themselves. I was very disappointed since I'd been looking forward to the comraderie that everyone mentions.
Last edited by: roadie gal: Jul 28, 08 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew there was a reason we got on so well. ;-)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't have to be just one or the other. In the Bay Area we have all-women's tris, and we have coed tris for beginners (such as the "Tri for Fun" series and Big Al's sprint/supersprint races). They each have a place and they are both well attended. In fact, the women's tris mostly sell out in advance and I know many, many women who would never have attempted a first tri without that women's-only option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife does this particular women's only tri every year. She says it's fun and diferent but would never race these events exclusively. I agree that it's a good way for some women beginners to get started, but I don't understand women who only race women's tris.
Quote Reply
Re: Just did my 1st women's only tri today - is it fair to exclude? [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have to somewhat agree with you--I think that if there were a men's only tri, women would be burning their bras outside the transition area. Seriously, women clammer for equal rights and then demand segregated races, gyms, etc. Seems like a double standard to me.

Not me! I would be first in line to volunteer :)

I have always been a tom boy and more comfortable with boys than girls for friends etc. I know not everone is that way so why not have women's only races? I like the 5k skirtchaser idea a LOT :)

I too prefer the beginner only idea. ONly thing is hard to really pull off! You know there will be some BoP/MoP dudes (in "normal" races) with super egos sandbagging cos the only way they can win is to do a beginner only race.
Last edited by: mixie: Jul 28, 08 13:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heck yeah! ;-)

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just thinking about this.

Are women's only tri's still relevant

I think they are as relevant as this forum. There's a reason there's a women's forum (and yes I realize it's not just women), but someone saw a need, and the races are just the same.

Better comraderie if you ask me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next