Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Jeans if you've got back?
Quote | Reply
I'm having a helluva time finding jeans that will stay up without wearing a belt that also can accomodate my legs and butt. I'm a pretty true 6, though can go up or down a size in certain brands. I don't mind wearing a belt but would like to not have to do that sometimes. I feel lucky that I have a job where I can where jeans 80% of the time, and I sure do love the leggings and boot trend, as this solves all those problems, but, really, you can only do that so much. Brand suggestions from my fellow Womens w/ back? FWIW, I don't mind spending some cash on jeans; I try to look at clothes as a cost/use item, so I can rationalize spending more for jeans if need be.

Edited to add: Of course the reason I'm asking the Womens is because I'm guessing some of you, as cyclists and runners, also have this issue. I've always been built this way, but since I've upped my cycling it's become a little ridiculous. Hope I'm not bringing down the Womens' discourse with such a girlie question :)

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Last edited by: luckytotri: Dec 18, 12 12:43
Quote Reply
Re: Jeans if you've got back? [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wear Lucky jeans and love them. They have some stretch and cover my bekonkadonk. If you want to drop some bank, 7 for All Mankind has some mid-rise that fit great as well. Check Gap too. They've been better about getting rid of the super low rise that was the bain of my existence for years.

I've heard "Not Your Daughter's Jeans" fit great but I can't get past the name so haven't tried them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Dec 18, 12 10:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i finally found a pair of jeans that fits from american eagle - the "favourite boyfriend" cut actually gives you some room for legs instead of twigs. they fit well enough that mine are 100% cotton instead of the ubiquitous spandex blend, and the legs are long enough for my stilts in regular sizing.

http://www.ae.com/...jsp?catId=cat1930004

they're not really pricey, but i actually found mine at a secondhand store for $13 :)

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I wear Lucky jeans and love them. They have some stretch and cover my bekonkadonk. If you want to drop some bank, 7 for All Mankind has some mid-rise that fit great as well. Check Gap too. They've been better about getting rid of the super low rise that was the bain of my existence for years.

If heard "Not Your Daughter's Jeans" fit great but I can't get past the name so haven't tried them.

This made me choke on my water...hilarious. I know from the boots thread a few weeks ago that a lot of the Womens are skinny--albeit it tough, kick ass, awesome--little things. I mean the thought of me having to have my boots taken IN at the calf is just side-splitting funny to me.

It took me until my late 20s to be cool with my body type, but I knew I turned the corner when I was excited about my legs getting bigger from cycling!

I haven't tried Luckys in a long time, but I used to love them (always made me smile when I undid the fly!). I don't know how they dropped off my radar. Sevens have been pretty hit or miss, unfortunately, but I haven't tried them since my last baby. I like a lot of the Seven styles so I will give them a go again. Thanks Jen!

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Jeans if you've got back? [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool. I've eyed these, but haven't ever tried any AE jeans yet. The thought of having a 100% cotton option is appealing. The spandex component has a tendency to make me look like some ridiculous video game vixen cartoon. And not in a good way, haha.

I do not have stilts though, so sad :( I'm only 5'6"... I'll still give these a shot. I can always have them shortened huh?

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they do make a "short" version with reduced inseam. i'm only 5'8" but i have a 33" inseam (basically just a neck growing out of a pelvis), so it's tough to find trousers of any sort with sufficiently long legs that don't have a 35"+ waist.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Do not underestimate the power of a talented tailor. I have a pair of perfect Sevens, thanks to my local dressmaker who knows how to take down the waistband without anyone noticing anything except how great they fit. Totally worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeans if you've got back? [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really? This works? I've wondered about this, but for some reason denim doesn't seem like it would be amenable to this. I suppose it is highly dependent on the skill of the tailor. I almost always have my "regular" pants tweaked in some way--off the rack is rarely satisfying because of the said waist to ass ratio.

Jeans too? Ok, I'm game. This could really open up the options. Awesome!

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there is a Buckle near you try there. They have lots of jeans in all styles. A little on the youth side of stuff but there always seems to be a pair that fit the bill. Nordstrom has been a great place to look as well if you want to drop some coin.

Jean shopping sucks.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no idea how she did it -- there are no visible seams, tucks, anything that suggests tailoring of any sort -- but they fit like glue now and people often stop me and ask me where I got suck perfectly fitting jeans! You just need the right tailor.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeans if you've got back? [FastCat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ack! Not the mall...nooooo! Ladies, we have just uncovered the root of the problem. I die a little inside every time I have to go into a mall. Or a cell phone store. Or play golf.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Jeans if you've got back? [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed! A good tailor is well worth it. I tailor my own jeans, which mostly consisted of hemming in such a way as to retain the original hems.
The most complicated pair I did was a pair of white jeans that I had to take in at the waist quite a bit, and I was OK with adding topstitched darts in the back - with the white jeans and white stitching it's hardly noticable. Plus hemming of course.

Alterations are easier on jeans that are more uniform in color - as in not heavily distressed at the edges or seams or things like that.

I also wish most jeans had more belt loops, rather than 1 at each side and 1 in the center back. I have been known to 'steal' belt loops off a pair of jeans I no longer wear to add to a newer pair.

I may try taking a pair of jeans and add a flannel lining this winter... I have a couple of pairs of flannel lined khakis that I love (feels like wearing PJs all day)... the only flannel lined jeans I can find are 'tapered leg mom style'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am one with a serious awesome blossom. The jeans that fit my legs and onion well are from Gap (about 12 years ago), Seven, The North Face and Joes Jeans. Many of the newer jeans have too much spandex for me to want to buy any since I took, don't like to wear a belt with every pair of pants.

Quote | Reply
I really like Levi's new Curve ID jeans. The Supreme curve fits my giant butt and thighs nicely and I never have to worry about crack when bending over or squatting down. Sized by inches, not sizes. And they are a much more reasonable price for my budget than Lucky's or anything fancy like that. :P

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you posted this question! I'm a 4 and have to wear a belt with everything and don't mind it, don't want to be hitching up the pants all the time. My latest problem is that everything is running long (and I'm just shy of 5'7") and the thought of taking something to a tailor, don't like that idea. Maybe I'll try Lucky, want to try Seven for all mankind but I have no clue as to what I would be in a euro size.

Quote Reply
Re: Jeans if you've got back? [FeltLikeTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FeltLikeTriing wrote:
I really like Levi's new Curve ID jeans. The Supreme curve fits my giant butt and thighs nicely and I never have to worry about crack when bending over or squatting down. Sized by inches, not sizes. And they are a much more reasonable price for my budget than Lucky's or anything fancy like that. :P

Another vote for Levi's Curve. I got them at JC Penny at they were not expensive at all and look (and fit) great.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Jeans if you've got back? [jen-g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jen-g wrote:
Glad you posted this question! I'm a 4 and have to wear a belt with everything and don't mind it, don't want to be hitching up the pants all the time. My latest problem is that everything is running long (and I'm just shy of 5'7") and the thought of taking something to a tailor, don't like that idea. Maybe I'll try Lucky, want to try Seven for all mankind but I have no clue as to what I would be in a euro size.
You may be a 34 or 36 in Euro sizes and a 2 in British sizes providing they are true sizes. I wear between a 0-4 and mostly 32 Euro and anything smaller than a 4 in British.

Quote | Reply
Jeanshub.com has a comparison chart. Seven for all Mankind uses what they call US denim -- I think that was intended to refer to waist size, but if you have the cyclist leg/bum problem you'll probably find yourself picking a bigger waist number/size so that the legs fit and then belting or tailoring. But the conversion to more typical US sizes seems to match my experience pretty well (0 = 24, 2 = 25/26, etc).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Paige jeans in the Hidden Hills style. They fit over my big thighs and are okay in the waist. By today's standards, the jeans are considered to be "highwaisted" because they cover your butt crack.

http://www.paigeusa.com/...te-carson/d/40001721
Quote Reply
Re: Jeans if you've got back? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh determination! What I wouldn't give to have those mad tailoring skills. So, so awesome. How did you learn how to sew?

I have actually had my kids take sewing lessons because I feel like it's so valuable. They LOVE it. Other than sewing on a button or making simple curtains, I suck.

Kudos!

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Jeans if you've got back? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those look awesome and I have never heard of them before. That model looks pretty tiny, but if you're vouching that they can handle cyclist legs, I'll give them a shot. Thanks!

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Jeans if you've got back? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the Paige jeans! I have 3 pairs of their verdugo skinny jeans. I like them because they are somewhat high waisted, but not mom jeans.

This is my first post in the women's btw! I am bored with the main forum and the extremely bored with the lavender room so I figured I would peak in here.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeans if you've got back? [magda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome! The other two pages have been very boring lately. We should step it up Womens.

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a crafty person, not can I sew, but I was so frustrated with jeans and pants with waists that are too big that last year I went to a fabric shop, bought a piece of wide elastic, and sewed a big snap onto the opposite ends, making what I like to call "the magic belt." I didn't even sew the rough ends of the elastic, but melted them with a match.

I wear it almost every day. It keeps my pants up but has no buckle buldge and works with both jeans and dress pants. The trick is to tuck the elastic under the button of your jeans to keep a flat front.

Also, I have a large ass/legs in proportion to my waist. My favorite jeans are David Khan and Cut From the Kloth. I have two pair of North Face cords that fit pretty well. I'm not sure if they make jeans or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Jeans if you've got back? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QRgirl wrote:
I'm not a crafty person, not can I sew, but I was so frustrated with jeans and pants with waists that are too big that last year I went to a fabric shop, bought a piece of wide elastic, and sewed a big snap onto the opposite ends, making what I like to call "the magic belt." I didn't even sew the rough ends of the elastic, but melted them with a match.

I wear it almost every day. It keeps my pants up but has no buckle buldge and works with both jeans and dress pants. The trick is to tuck the elastic under the button of your jeans to keep a flat front.

Also, I have a large ass/legs in proportion to my waist. My favorite jeans are David Khan and Cut From the Kloth. I have two pair of North Face cords that fit pretty well. I'm not sure if they make jeans or not.
They do and partnered with Seven. They fit well and are well made however, I don't know how true to size they truly are since a 25 and 26 fit the same in the waist. http://www.klmountainshop.com/...omen-s-tnf-jean.html I managed to get a pair from REI for $22.

Prev Next