Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Itching Skin in the winter
Quote | Reply
Ok, since I started training again, my skin is itching like crazy. Mainly my back and my legs. I saw a dermatologist last month and got some cream (helps a little)but really I wonder why. It is MUCH worse when I am in Arizona or come back from Arizona. I know it's dryer there but still. I am swimming 3 times a week but this is not necessarily linked to swimming but definitely irritated by it. Does anyone else go nuts like this in the winter? What do you do?
Last edited by: Marisol: Feb 12, 11 21:24
Quote Reply
Re: Itching Skin in the winter [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are they putting in the pool (chlorine vs. bromine)? Make sure you are really showering w/soap esp on your back post swim...

I get this every time there is a cold/dry spell here. So you're not alone...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Itching Skin in the winter [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too. A couple of things I've learned:
--wash immediately after coming out of the pool; if you're doubling up workouts, do the swim last or plan on a rinse before moving on to the next one
--use a moisturizing soap (not the stuff in the shower dispensers); I've found Dove is the best of the low cost options (and I love it that Santa brings me some really nice fancy soaps every year for Xmas!)
--luke warm or cool showers, not hot
--pat dry, don't rub dry
--after patting dry, immediately apply moisturizer

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to put lotion on every day after every workout in the winter. Mine doesn't get itchy, just dry.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I lived in dry climates I always had a bottle of baby oil (or Neutragena body oil) that I put on right after every shower. It helped a lot more than anything the dermatologist prescribed.
Quote Reply
Re: Itching Skin in the winter [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, the baby oil is helping some:-) I feel very "gooey"! thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to try Amlactin 12%. I know you can buy it at Costco, but haven't seen it other places. When I lived in Las Vegas and swam indoor all the time I used to get patches of dry itchy skin from time to time and it seemed to help.
Quote Reply
Re: Itching Skin in the winter [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I thought it was helping, but not. I am going nuts, my whole body is itching. I am starting to wonder if I am allergic to chlorine or bromine or whatever they put in the pool. This is insane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Invest in good lotions (Ahava, Aveda) and apply generously, a minimum of two times / day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same problem for me in the winter. I use Aveeno 1-2 times per day (depending on how bad it is). I get certain "hot" spots too on my body that are much worse. When those flare up, I use Aquaphor at bedtime (so it can stay on for 8 hours). Showering more than once a day makes it worse for me too.
Quote Reply
Re: Itching Skin in the winter [eddiep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, I am not alone. I called the dermato to get something, I couldn't sleep last night. I am wondering if it's the hot tub at the gym.. Hopefully that and not the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every time I go to a dry place my skin gets just ugly ... scaly and flaking for a couple weeks then some sort of adjustment seems to happen and it gets better. Aloe works really well for me although it sounds like you have it WAY worse. Some pools are just NASTY too but I can't imagine that with either of the Scottsdale pools. You can usually tell right away when you get out. Like being a little sunburned all over.
Quote Reply