Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Nerves
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone! My very first post (under hubby's login)! I'm about to embark on my first ever Ironman (next week-end). How do other women deal with their nerves, anxiety and self-doubt.......or am I the only one who feels this way????
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Nerves [Mr C.C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we all feel that way, regardless of gender. But, I think women can feel more intimidated by it because of a fear of being pushing around and a tendancy to question our abilities. (Yes, generalization, don't spank me for it.)

My coach always tells me to think about all of the hours of training I've put in. He reminds me I am ready, I have put in the time, I have put in the energy and I now just need to execute on all the planning and work I've put forward. Plan your race and race your plan.

I also calm myself with addressing the little things that drive me nuts. Part of my getting wound up is being afraid I'll forget something. I make lists of all the things I can't forget to bring. Writing it down helps me remember, until I worry about losing the list :-) I pack everything as soon as I think of it so then it is in the bag and on my list. I also write notes in general. For my first IM I wrote myself notes for my T-Bags and my special needs bags, reminding me of my plan. Such as, no more than 1 minute stops during the bike for water bottles, no more than 5 minutes in transitions. Stop becoming friends with all the volunteers and MOVE! No more than 5 minutes in Special Needs to get off my bike and grab something to eat if I'm feeling like shit. Positive reinforcement thoughts like "Racing is your reward for all your training." It was really cool. Writing these helped me know I would remember everything.

Also remember that no matter how hard you plan you still can't predict the day so don't lose sleep over it. I always have an plan B and C so if things go wrong I am less stressed. These plans can reduce stress going into the race because you already know how to handle problems that come up. It is about dealing with the unknown and trying to plan the best you can.

Remind yourself this is a great experience even if you have a bad day. One of my favorite sayings is "It doesn't have to be fun to be fun." Know it is going to hurt but it will all be worth it. Decide the day of the race that no matter what happens you will remember to thank the volunteers and smile.

You will have a great time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck to you!!! I remember my first ironman race (IMLP) and the morning of the race I was nervous. I would fall into the trap of thinking about the whole race at once, and it would become overwhelming. I would break those thoughts with "chip away, chip away at the miles". I broke the race down into segments and just focused on what I was doing between aid stations.

Also, the previous poster is right, you cannot predict what will happen, so don't get upset if you get a flat or anything else. Just go have fun!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on taking the steps to your first IM. I remember every minute of my first IM. You are embarking on a life changing experience. I compare it to getting married, divorced or having a child. Here is the advise I give to friends:
1. make lists of everything... stuff for each transition...stuff to pack to take to the race...etc..
2. If you are taking family... pack their stuff days ahead of time... do not put anything off until the last minute...
3. Read the race info packet ...it will help you feel informed
4. Seat yourself correctly in the swim...if the idea of being kicked and beat up bothers you...start slower and farther back(I always start laaaate..I hate the swim)
5. Think about all the training, friends you've made and SMILE!!!!!!!
6. Think about the roll model you are for your children.
7. Think of the positive things you've gained through your training.
8. Enjoy the race!!!! Have FUN... You've worked months to get to this point.... ENJOY

Good Luck

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was nervous leading up to my IM, but I was very calm the morning of the race. During bike check-in the day before, I was a mess. I was really worried I'd forget something that would completely ruin my day. My check lists saved me there. Once I got my bike in, though, I started relaxing. The morning of the race, I was surprisingly calm. I knew the training was behind me and there wasn't anything else I could do except face the day and take things as they come. I was very confident in my training. I knew that I would finish the race unless something unexpected happened (like a bike issue that I couldn't handle) and I wasn't going to waste energy worrying about something I couldn't control.

Trust your training, relax and enjoy the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your training and getting to the start line injury-free! I won an Olympic gold medal for wringing my hands before my first IM. As the other posters have advised, be as organized and prepared as you can. Here comes another sweeping generalization: I think women find comfort/security in being organized...or at least, I did.
1. I made a list of the items in my T1, T2, Special Needs bike and run bags and made a copy of each list and put them in each bag in case I took something out like a bike helmet to do a ride--I'd then remember to put it back in the bag. It was very OCD, but on race day I didn't worry about it.
2. I put my race nutrition on a spreadsheet with plan B, C, and D in case I barf, have a sour stomach, can't stand the taste of GU anymore. Obsessive nutjob? yes, but again on race day, didn't have to worry about it.
3. I made a CD of all the songs I'd been training with or wanted in my head during the race. My fiancee endured the music for the whole ride up to race, but it was good to have my playlist fresh in my head.
4. Instead of repressing negative thoughts, I took a couple of days (about 2 weeks before the race) to think about everything that could go wrong and what I would do to get myself out of it. By the time race day rolled around, I felt invincible.
-Flat tire? I'd changed about 10,000 flats in my life--not a problem. I carried 2 tubulars and 3 CO2 cartriges on my bike for the race.
-Snap a brake cable, screws on cleat falls out (this really happened to me!), rear derailleur malfunctions? I also carried a multitool, extra chain links, and some duct tape (wrapped around my aerodrink) on the bike. If duct tape couldn't fix the job, I'd wait for the bike support van and stretch and eat during the wait.
-Water bottle with nutrition is jettisoned? Eat off the land (aid stations)
-Want to crawl in a ditch and pass out during mile 14 of the run? Slow down, drink some coke, and consult personal playlist
You'll find that you have it in you to get out of just about any pickle. There are some things we can't control like a freak hailstorm or the bike frame inexplicably exploding--if those things happen, the responsibility is out of our hands and it makes for a good race story.
5. If at all possible, I would minimize time spent at the Athlete Village. Get in and out of registration and give yourself a time limit at the expo. There's ALOT of nervous energy there so why expose yourself to it?

Race happy! It's an incredible experience--really soak in the last 2 miles of the run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kept a notebook and pencil on my bedside table and would write down the little things I thought of in the middle of the night that I didn't want to forget! It sounds stupid, but it worked. Get some of those huge zip lock bags, and you can set up your special needs and transition bags at home before you get to the race site. Line them up, and keep putting in what you need as you think of it. Being prepared and organized takes away a lot of the anxiety for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trust in your training over these many months - the stage is set.
Continue to taper and try to relax as much as possible.
Find some time to yourself in the days leading up to the race.
Come race day, don't let mental doubt interfere with your race. Stay tough mentally - don't give in to those negative thoughts that will try to creep into your head throughout the day.
Just keep moving forward!
Good luck!

fitzie
konaboundstacy.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Nerves [fitzie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One other piece of advice, keep your space calm the day before the race. Wherever you are staying. I double check my special needs bags then set them aside. I clean up everything laying around so it isn't chaotic and put out everything for the next morning. I get that done by noon so that I don't have to deal with it for the rest of the day. I stay away from the village as much as I can and sit on the couch/bed and watch TV. My husband is usually pacing around and trying to entertain me and eventually I have to tell him to either stop or leave because I can't take his nervous energy :-)

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi "The Women's". I'm back under the hubby's log in again! Well, I did my first IM on Sunday and it was the most phenomenal experience ever! Thank you for all the advice in the lead up! Crossing the finish line with my husband (he waited for me) was something I will carry in my heart forever! I am now officially an IRONMAN! YAY!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay!! Congratulations!! When do we get to see the finisher photo??

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome!!! So when's your next one? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Sounds like it was a tough one too. I had a couple friends racing down there and they said it was quite wet!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Nerves [jenhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. How do I do that (post a pic)? The only finisher's pic I have at the minute is with my coach, my husband and my"catcher". At Ironman Oz last year one of the competitors died in the swim. On Saturday they spread his ashes over the swim course and on Sunday his wife was my "catcher" at the finish line!

Yep, it was wet and windy! I'm sure all Ironman races are tough though, so who am I to complain. WOOHOO!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Nerves [Mr + Mrs C.C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats Mrs CC on joining the IM family. I also did Port Mac on Sunday and boy was it hard!!! But also a wonderful experience.

How did you find the swim? I thought it was the pits and talking to a few other girls on Monday, they had the same sentiments - too narrow and as a result a bash fest.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Nerves [imax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I started at the very back, so I probably didn't cop it as badly in the first lap. In the second lap a few blue caps caught me and I got smashed by them! I also found the current really strong on the way back. I could see the sea-weed on the bottom and it was leaning in the opposite direction! Where are you from Imax??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Country Vic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Now you've got to post your race report. Enjoy the post race high!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Nerves [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My race report is not about my times (God knows they were slow!) or my place, but rather my journey!

I had a terrible year last year! My son went away on a 12 month student exchange and I thought I would die of a broken heart! I found it hard to be motivated and had to drag myself through the GC Marathon and the GC HIM. This year I was determined to reach some personal goals! I had a wonderful and supportive coach (thanks Cam) and an amazing husband who both believed in me......so began the journey!

My day started at about 2am with me tossing and turning and Mr CC reassuring me it would be okay! We headed down to transition just after 4:30 and started setting up our bikes. Then came the huge downpour, so for the next 15 or so minutes, we hid under a shade tent, then back to the bikes! After a few more trips to the portaloos it was time to start the wetsuit struggle With wetsuits on and bikes at the ready, we headed down to the start. There was enough time for a quick hug from Steno and CEM before slipping into the water!

WOW! What an amazing experience! A helicopter hovering overhead, the National Anthem being sung and a huge rainbow appearing in the sky! It was AWESOME!Anyway, the cannon went off and off we went. Nothing much to report here - we swam blah blah blah, there was a strong current, waves from the rubber boat thingy, blah blah blah, swim over - YAY!!

Onto the bike! The first thing I noticed was the some rotten person had nicked my jetstream straw, the second thing was that Warren and I had mixed up our drinks (he had my opti -choccy and I had his banana), the third thing I noticed was the wind and lastly the hills - and lots of them!!By the second lap I had calculated that I would miss the bike cut-off and I was devastated! I stopped Warren (heading the other way) and told him that when they pulled me off the course I was going to head back to the unit. I sat on the side of the road and had a big cry before thinking that if they were going to "sweep" me up, they would have to do it kicking and screaming! Back on the bike, back up more hills, through a bit more rain before passing Warren again. He stopped to tell me I'd miscalculated and had an extra 1/2 hour!

Shit!! I'd been sauntering along waiting for the sag wagon! Off I shot as fast as my little legs would take me (which isn't particularly fast !). I passed 3 guys on the way back in and slowed down to encourage them. Two of them rode near me for the last 20 k's and I'm not sure what happened to the 3rd. I was so excited when I was riding past the bowling club that I couldn't wipe the smile off my face! I had survived the bike!

Back into the transition tent and enough time to entertain the volunteers with my insistance on doing my hair! After icing my feet (Morton's neuroma took its toll) off I went down the shute! Straight away I had a man stop me and ask if I was Cupcake I said "Yep......and I'm off the bike!" I'm sure he thought I was a little unbalanced! Anyway, he said that my husband was worried about me and was going to walk until I caught up with him! This was a pattern that was to repeat itself for the next lap and a half! Every few hundred metres was a new cheer squad yelling out to me and assuring me my husband was "just up ahead"! It was so fantastic! I felt like everyone knew me and they were helping to carry me!

I spent some really nice time walking with Plugga at one stage! What an inspiring man! He kept understating what a big deal it was that he was doing this, but I will have none of it! He is an amazing, strong man who motivated me to keep trying harder! Thanks for sharing some of your personal life with me Plugga!

I also met Krakov on the run. What a nice person - incredibly TALL and super nice! Thanks for your encouragement Krakov!

I can't begin to explain what it felt like to have Steno, Amber (the almost Mrs Steno) and CEM there for me. The pats on the back, the encouraging words, the broad smiles meant more than I can put into words! I drew so much strength from that! Thanks guys!

Anyway, eventually I caught up with Warren and it was like a weight lifted off my shoulders! For the next lap and a half we ran/walked together through the rain and dark. Steno and CEM kept popping up which was great! Warren kept saying "just head toward that bubble of light" and sure enough, the finish shute eventually appeared!

I was hit by an unbelievable wall of light and noise! Everyone was reaching out to touch me and the cheering and screaming was deafening! It was fantastic!!
I couldn't have scripted a more perfect finish. We had been adopted by Port Pharmacy and Richard (our adpoted "Dad" ) was one of our catchers and the other one was Pam Green! Shaun (Steno), Amber (the almost Mrs Steno) and Cam (CEM) were waiting for us at the finish line, so it was big hugs and photos all around!

Warren and I hit the food tent and sat (in our very cold and wet clothes!) to watch the last few finishers and the fire works! I looked over the table at him and couldn't help but think how lucky I am . Wednesday was my 20th wedding anniversary, and here I was sitting with my partner, lover and best friend, who had given up his aspirations for the day to help me reach mine! There can't be a luckier peron alive!

I met some really great people over the week at Port. I spent some time with Sunnygirl and her husband and 2 beautiful children. What a lovely, bubbly, positive person she is - thanks Sunny!!

We were lucky enough to spend some time with Steno and his now fiance! That was superb. Shaun is a really nice guy and Amber is equally beautiful! We look forward to our next catch up!

Lastly, my beautiful friend and coach Cam (CEM)! I can't begin to explain what having him there meant to me! He has been an amazing support and has helped float me through a sea of self-doubt! I thank him for everything he has done and especially for waiting in the freezing rain to meet me at the end!

Anyway, the end of my long winded race report. Ultimately, I hope that I helped some people through bad patches during the day and I'm thankful to all of those who offered me support over a LONG day!! WOW, what a journey this Ironman has been!

Cupcake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
    OMG-what a report!Such excitement and we are so proud of you for not giving up!It is wonderful to be grateful.

member CupCake Cartel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great RR! Thanks for sharing your incredible day. You already know this, but you've got one amazing husband there. Congrats again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CONGRATULATIONS! Thanks for inspiring those of us with so much self doubt!

Love your race report. Especially:

"My race report is not about my times (God knows they were slow!) or my place, but rather my journey!"

and this:

"Warren and I hit the food tent and sat (in our very cold and wet clothes!) to watch the last few finishers and the fire works! I looked over the table at him and couldn't help but think how lucky I am . Wednesday was my 20th wedding anniversary, and here I was sitting with my partner, lover and best friend, who had given up his aspirations for the day to help me reach mine! There can't be a luckier person alive!"

and this:

"Cupcake"

Quote | Reply
am I the only one who feels this way????

Definitely not! It would be unusual if you weren't anxious

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! And yet again, another IM RR that brings tears to my eyes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Nerves [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get everything in order for race day (race day bags, etc) and then I put everything away until race day. Some people fret over their race bags. I don't.

I also steer clear of nervous, anxious people or people who will try to put doubts into my mind. I stay off my feet the day's leading up to the race. I steer clear of people who suck energy or require being entertained.

Good luck!

Can you hear me now?
Quote Reply