Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
In appreciation of older men in sport
Quote | Reply
Women, do you find yourself in competition with older men? I have a couple of stories about my relations with older men in sport...

I have a friend who is a competitive IMer but was hit by a car in his first race after he retired from his job. He was recovering from major injuries and needed somethig to motivate him so he challenges me to a sprint triathlon. I say yes and work my butt off to beat him, which I did, by a scant 30 seconds, which he lost in transition. I out ran him but he out biked and out swam me, it was quite close. We continued the rivalry the following year and put on our own triathlon, we called it Tribabes vs. Grumpy Old Men triathlon. It was a ton of fun but he mopped the floor with me. I'm waiting for him to age some more. ;)

At IM CDA, I was suffering on the run at mile 18. I saw a man ahead of me, running slowly but running. He had "62" written on his calf which made me realize I was being a major wussy for my internal whining, so I latched on to the back of him, matching him stride for stride. He heard me behind him and asked me to join him and we pulled each other through the final miles. He was fighting for a Kona spot (he was 3rd in his ag and didn't get the slot) but he was so encouraging toward me, he said several times that he couldn't believe how well I was doing in my first Ironman. At mile 25, he told me to run ahead and get a good photo. I felt bad about leaving him behind but he insisted, and I ran the most satisfying and glorious mile of my life.

I have a great appreciation for the older men in this sport. Any stories out there you would like to share?
Quote Reply
Re: In appreciation of older men in sport [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would post some of my race stories but I'm afraid of being called a "creepy old guy" ;)

Quote Reply
Re: In appreciation of older men in sport [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your stories involve following younger women so you can watch their behinds then yes, you are right, you will be considered a "creepy old guy". :) It would be nice to hear stories from men about competing with women.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any great stories like you, but I have to say that the older guys in triathlon really seem to have a love of the sport. They are out there to enjoy themselves. If they do well, then they're happy. If they don't do well, they usually seem to be pretty happy too. It seems like they've learned not to take any of it too seriously and they just enjoy it for what it is. I love that approach and I think more of us could learn from that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the Latin American older men do NOT like getting passed by a woman on the bike. You pass, they kill themselves to repass. Repeat x 112 miles. And every time you go by them, you hear, "Chica, chica".

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being I'm 16 yrs older than my (2nd) wife I understand what you mean. She's a faster runner and swimmer but I always beat her where it matters - on the bike. It's all about the bike, right. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a story that reflects well on this younger woman...

A few years ago (like more than 5?), I did a local sprint triathlon. Very low key event. I was in the 3rd of 3 or 4 waves; women were in a wave in front of me. The bike is an out-and-back, so one gets a sense of who is where. I caught the lead woman (early 20s; I'm about 45 at the time; I was probably the first person to catch her, as I led my wave) with about 3 miles to go on the bike, on a very wide stretch of road with a huge shoulder. Passed her with room to spare. She moves over and gets on my wheel. I move way over the other way. She moves over and gets on my wheel again. I scream at her to get off my wheel, which she does. She goes on to first place in the women.

She raced as a pro in Kona this year. I can't help but think about that race whenever I see her name...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: In appreciation of older men in sport [Old and Haggard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken--When I am "famous" will you tell nice or mean stories about me?

Not directed at Ken--I find that many of the older men that I compete against are very supportive out on the course. But some can be complete jackasses. That kinda holds for all the men in general though.
Quote Reply
Re: In appreciation of older men in sport [njtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Not directed at Ken--I find that many of the older men that I compete against are very supportive out on the course. But some can be complete jackasses. That kinda holds for all the men in general though.

I will never understand why there is such a hate on for men these days.No wonder guys like me have given up thinking they will ever find anyone.

People are people some are great and some are not and it makes no difference what sex they are.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ken--When I am "famous" will you tell nice or mean stories about me?

You are already famous.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are misunderstanding my words. I was saying there are many very supportive men out on the course and SOME are complete jackasses. I am not saying the mens are jackasses, I just do come across many. Since I am mostly racing agains the mens I interact with them more. I am sure there are plenty of obnoxious women on the race course, I just don't have to interact with them as much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last weekend I had an 'older' man almost rip my arm off about 1/10 of a mile from the finish line. I reached over to slap someones hand and he grabbed my arm and threw it out of his way. I didn't know he was there

I guess he was going for 3 rd or 4th in his age group and had been gaining on me since we turned off of Hualalai (or whatever that road is).

My thought at the time was "jackass", even though at the time I realized he was probably racing for a podium spot. My friends were appalled (and they were IM finishers, and Kona finishers in previous years).

I will say I'm normally racing the 'younger' guys who aren't way up FOP, but near the front of their age groups and there is a mix of supportive and jackass behavior out there from them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think one of the reasons for the "hate on" (and I don't think it's hate at all!!!) for the men is many of the comments we are seeing around here these days. There's been A LOT of jackass remarks/posts made in the last month or so that have rubbed a lot of us the wrong way. Sort of like in Ken's case, where Erika started a great thread to to "celebrate" the older mens in the sport and he decided to post a snarky story about a younger woman. Kind of unfortunate.

Anyways, I love ya! ;)

Quote | Reply
Okay then I'll tell you a story about a really sweet old guy whom I met in Penticton about 14 years ago.His name is Louis Gyorfi and he is a 70+ year old Hungarian guy who lived in the Okanagan but would go back to eastern Europe to run in obscure marathons every year.The guy is a short,stocky,bull of a man and one of those hard, old-school euro types who grew up in and managed to live through the aftermath of the second world war.He was always happy to see me and nearly broke my wrist every time he greeted me with a crushing handshake that showed his years of hard labour in the real world.

Louis was a real funny guy and that was loved by all but he was never a fast runner with a marathon pr at around 4:30.One year Louis figured that he was going to do his first triathlon but the thing was,he could not swim at all,in fact he was terrified of the thought.He could wade out into the lake but only as far as would allow him to see the bottom.Add to the fact that he was developing arthritis in his fingers and Louis had set himself up for a pretty tough time of it.

After entering Ironman he thought it would be a good idea to do at least one triathlon before the "big day" so he entered the Apple Tri in Kelowna and trained his big old heart out for months.We all rolled up to the race to watch without realising that Louis was entered but soon figured it out when after all the athletes bar one had finished the swim.There, waaaaay off in the distance in the middle of the lake was a lone figure splashing around in circles being shepherded into the finish by a flotilla of kayaks.We knew it must be Louis.

Once he reached dry land the officials tried to tell him that he was out of the race for missing the swim cut-off but old Louis would have none of that he just growled at them and in his thick Hungarian accent said "You just try and stop me".The official stepped aside and to the cheers of the crowd Louis barrelled up to his bike and was off.He made the bike and run time limit easily and was now a triathlete.

It wasn't until later that day when we were back at the lake,walking to our car ,that I saw him again.He was alone,standing on the beach yelling at the top of his voice "I beat you!I beat you,you bastard!"As I walked up to him I realised that he was yelling at the lake.We all started to clap for him and I as we got closer we could see that he was crying.It was amazing to think that this wonderful man,who had seem so much misery as a child had finally conquered one of the last demons in his life.He had learned to swim.

Sadly ,his arthritis took hold and he was never able to finish Ironman Canada but of all the hundreds of people I have met over the twenty-two years of my triathlon life, Louis holds a very special place in my heart.

I still see him every now and then and they are happy moments indeed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that's a GREAT story! :)

Quote | Reply
"If your stories involve following younger women so you can watch their behinds then yes, you are right, you will be considered a "creepy old guy". :)"
--------------------------------------

Uhhhhhh...is that wrong? ;)

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If, for one, don't mind a bit if an older fellow wants to ride or run behind me for the view. Actually, I'm used to it. I used to train with the master's 50+ men for cycle racing. They're still some of my staunchest supporters and great friends.

In my first Olympic distance triathlon, I came in to transition right with an older fellow named Bill. I'm having trouble right now remembering Bill's age, I'm thinking 54 though, which puts him about 14/15 years my elder. I'd been trying to catch him for a good 6 miles, creeping up on him but never seeming able to catch and pass till nigh on the end, only he passed me back just before T2. So, in we ran (if you can call that clomping in cleats "running") and as it happens, we trotted back out at the same time too. I said something to him along the lines of "I spent all that time trying to catch you on the bike, now I expect you'll be dropping me on the run." He said he wasn't feeling up to the run anyway and instead started encouraging me to keep moving. We were almost halfway through the run when he told me to keep going, he'd see me at the finish if not before. Honestly, I'd not have done nearly as well as I did had it not been for him encouraging me on the first part of that run.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 50 years old and a very mediocre XC ski racer....but here is a story about older guys and younger women in a race you might enjoy:

....12.5K Classic nordic ski race at WOB and I line up with 42 others to ski the outer loop that is probably one of the best classic race courses due to its variable terrain....flats, rolling hills, herrinbone hills and some sweet long downhills that demand the use of all techniques....stride, double pole, kick double pole....

I start out smooth and start moving around people slowly as I use them to pace a bit before I spurt around them.....my glide is not quite as good as the others around me but I have got great kick...after the first 3 to 4K and working my way around 4 or 5 people I see the 16 year old girl from SouthWest high school up ahead and I concentrate on inching up on her....after making contact its me and her going back and forth....I am kicking up on her on the hills but her skis are gliding better and she rockets away on the downhills...she is also is a bit lighter on her skis on the downhills and she is doesnt give up the times I pass her....I have to admit that its was cool to see this high schooler operate like a little fighter...she sure as hell was not respecting her elders and I was so impressed that I shouted out "nice skiing!!" as she passed me back one more time....so we both inspire each other to keep the foot on the accelerator and I am really enjoying this little battle........

well, all the back and forth had us moving up on two others up the track at about 8k...a couple guys apparently...one in a purple and one in a bright red ski suit.....as we got closer to them I finally recognized the man in the red suit as a former master world champion nordic skier...

...ok, so its BL....and he is 78 years old....whatever....he is still a good skier and we are still making up ground on him.....

I notice that purple man at the front of our foursome is a little ragged on technique but he still has enough of a motor to stay out on front....

well "Pretty in Pink" apparently does not know about the Legend that is Bjorn and she goes around him on an uphill at 9K and I join her....well that wakes him up and he it not taking this intrusion lying down and as we head to the flats after the railroad track that lead to the big mound at the front of the park....its Purple, 16 year old, Me, and Bjorn double polling in that order. I think how absurd the competitive situation I found myself in.....here we have a newer skier with rough technique leading a teen age girl, an 50 year old mediocre "never was", and a 78 year old master world champion all trying to race for some places in the middle of the field small local race vying for some midpack positions....

as we double pole the flats the first two are gapping me and I notice that I am can't feel my arms anymore....just as I go back to single sticking I hear Bjorn yelling from behind me "Double Pole!!!" so I do....and my arms fall off...and Bjorn impatiently gets out of the track and double poles around me and "Hannah Montana"......damn!.....I just cant keep up......BUT we are heading to the big uphill up to the top of the mound and as we climb right pass The Legend one more time as my Heart Rate goes right through the roof ....and I figure he is not taking it lightly....on top of the mound I know whats coming up......more flats before the S turn down the other side before the flats and the finish.....so Purple maintains his lead, teenager is 2nd, me third and Bjorn is back behind me once again.....I am back to the double pole giving it everything I had but I know what Bjorn might be thinking......he will sneak around me with the better glide so he can be in front on the tricky downhill.....

...all four of us approach the first right hand turn before the tricky downhill and sure enough here come Bjorn around me again!....but all hell is about to break loose...

...on the tricky right Bjorn goes too wide and ends up off track in the soft snow and does a "balance dance" ala Lance Armstrong/Tour de France and manages not to fall before returning to the track but not without me going around him again as I yell out to him "Bjorn!"....now I am back in front of him again heading down the deadly S....thats when I hear "skier down!" and as I follow the teener down the hill I and catch a glimpse of purple guy getting back on his skis after a fall...just then the teen dumps to avoid T boning Purple and I go into a full snow plow looking for a daylight that will get me down the hill unscathed....

...I make it down the hill under control and hit the flats with only purple in front now....I bear down thinking I am in the clear but realize I am not going to catch Purple but feeling good that I just picked up 2 places....and then I hear the pole plants behind me.....with less than a K to go its Bjorn again!....damn! I thought the downhill fiasco had taken him out also but no such luck.....as I feel my heart exploding he comes around me and beats me by 2 seconds and the teenager follows me another 3 seconds back........

...after the race I had to laugh at the absurdity of it all......Bjorn was all smiles as he tells me he was going to get around me one way or another and I tried to thank the teenager for pushing me but she was too busy talking to "the boys" and I did not want to interrupt......so I went out on a skate loop, checked the results, smiled, and went home......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the most encouraging things and best one liners I've heard from fellow racers have been from the older guys.

My favorite is from last year at the Peach Classic Olympic distance tri in Penticton. The run is pure evil - an out and back of 1 km flat, then 3km up a super steep hill, 1 km of rollers, then you turn around and run back. As I was going down the steepest part of the hill a gent on the way up, who was either in the 65+ or 70+ AG, has this huge grin on his face and asks me "Apparently there's a hill on this course, any idea where it starts?" I was really happy to see him hit the podium for his AG at the awards.
Quote Reply
Re: In appreciation of older men in sport [Sabrekitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm having trouble right now remembering Bill's age, I'm thinking 54 though,"

someone tell me what's "Old"?? 80 might be old, I will concede but I (55) don't feel old at all. Can't do speedwork like I used to but I still kick some 30 year old ass on my rides/

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Re: In appreciation of older men in sport [sp in az] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I turn 40 in May. I figured the thread title was used the word "older," not "old," so 54 qualifies. It is older than I am. By the same token, I know a man who is racing at age 76 that beat me in my last sprint. He's a super fast runner, so from my standpoint he came out of nowhere running from behind and pipped me at the line. I reckon he'd qualify as "old" but I guarantee you he doesn't think he's old.

Actually, he's another one that just inspires the heck outta me.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Re: In appreciation of older men in sport [Sabrekitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the best company of an older gentleman in my last marathon. He was just super and had a great attitude. Loved it. Put a smile on my pain-stricken face. I just wish he'd been carrying tylenol instead of advil. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice thread!
This isn;t much of a story, but... in my last half IM, I was not doing well - the bike was rainy & hilly, and I was miserable, and coming into the run I was waaayy behind. I'm a decent runner, but my legs were toasted after the bike. So I'm plodding along, and just trying to get it done. I pass quite a few people, and usually say, "good job" "way to go" kind of things. Cuz, at the back of the pack, that's what I like to hear when people pass me. I'm about 3 miles to the finish, and I'm catching an older guy, maybe 60, and as I get to him I say something encourageing, and he turns and looks at me and says, "well, glad someone still has legs! go get 'em!" We had a short converstation about the tough course and conditions, and then I kept going.

Its nice to be out there, doing your best, competeing against yourself, and when you happen to catch another on the course, you don't get any attitude about it. Not only that, but you give and receive encouragement, or a laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Erika,

Haven't read all of the replies, but I had a training partner back in the day or still to this day is about 13yrs or so older than me. He is a great guy. I used to run with him before his knee injury. I wouldn't call him "older" in alot of respects cuz he could wup my butt on the bike on any given day, but we did a sprint tri together after being training buds for...oh maybe 2 yrs or more. Anyhow, he knew that my ability was running, and we were started the race together, then he pretty much told me to "go do my thing." Did that, but being a reverse tri, he completely caught up and then some on the bike. We haven't been running together for more than 2 yrs. I sorely miss my training partner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

To all the Womens who have passed me in a race: you kick ass!
Quote Reply

Prev Next