Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ideas to combat workout burnout?
Quote | Reply
I'm currently 8 months pregnant and still doing swimming and aqua jogging but only for 1/2-1 hour a day and not 7 days a week. One thing I noticed is I'm not burned out. Exercise is one of the best parts of my day and even though I'm only swimming freestyle right now, I'm not bored. Then I noticed that I was running errands at Costco and I wasn't stressed out--I think it's because I wasn't stressing on getting home to train or to rest. I have time to nap, read books, make homemade lemonade... I think this is called life balance. But it's soon to end for me.

I know we all enjoy training in 3 sports because of the challenge both physical and mental but don't you ever just get sick of running around like a maniac? Pushing yourself from one workout to the next?

My question is, how do you combat burn out?
Quote Reply
Re: Ideas to combat workout burnout? [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it comes down to attitude. I once heard someone say the following...

"I do workout, even when I don't want to. Like in early pregnancy, I just wanted to nap on my lunch break, but most days I went to the pool instead even though swimming made me even more nauseated.

I did that not because I'm some exercise crazed addict (ok, maybe there's some truth to that) but because I don't see exercise differently than all the other things I have to do but don't want to do in my daily life."

I really like/appreciate working out. I remember the one time I was injured. Every runner I saw made me feel sad. All I wanted to do was be able to run. One day exercise will not be an option for you or me. Until then I plan on enjoying every minute of it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I hear ya! Hardest year for hubby and I was when we were both training for Ironmen. I have never been so stressed out and just plain exhausted.

Then this year I've been injured/rehabing and can't really train at any significant level and hubby decided to only race the first half of the season. Honestly, this year has ended up being so much fun! We actually had time to do all the other things we really enjoy doing like camping, travel . Even if that meant just taking a nap instead of working out. We actually look forward to workouts a lot more now rather than something we "have" to do because it's on the schedule.

We were discussing this the other day and decided that for us what seems to work is a combination of time off when we need it and choosing to have triathlons and tri training be a compliment to our lives rather than the focus of our lives. Now this may mean we never get a Kona slot or win our age group at a big race - but I think it lends our life a lot more balance and with that balance comes more tranquility.

(course this also means I'll be going into my first race post injury in two weeks woefully undertrained but I'll still be smiling! :) )

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Variety

train with other people. Train alone.
Swim stroke or IM sets rather than free. Swim at a different pool. Swim in open water.
Ride or run in different places. Ride or run at different times of day.

Buy yourself new stuff to play with ;-) new outfit, etc.

Training is so central to me - running in particular- my day doesn't feel centered without it. And if I do get tired of it - rare but it happens - I take a day off.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Ideas to combat workout burnout? [Amstel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh Amstel, you must enjoy all the baby stuff on my blog! I know why I get burned out, I'm looking for ideas on how people stay sane despite all the things they need to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just say to myself, "I don't HAVE to do this at ALL". Then I'm reminded why I am, or why I want to.
Quote Reply
Re: Ideas to combat workout burnout? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nicely phrased.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's far more to life than just running, swimming and biking. If it ever gets to the point where it stops becoming fun or you're just not enjoying it any more, then perhaps its time to back off or to even find another interest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the baby!
I'm currently training for IMAZ and keep waiting for the burnout to hit. Everyone says it's coming. So far I have loved it all and I think it was because of 2 stupid injuries this year. ITBS made me sit out a winter marathon (no running for 11 weeks) and then a sprained ankle had me out for 8 weeks in June/July. I've really only been training hard for about 6 weeks and every time I am out there, I am thankful. Hope my body holds up for 2 more months!
Quote Reply