Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I need help getting over some specific food fears
Quote | Reply
I am hoping the brilliant womens can talk some sense into me before I get sick/hurt. I've developed two food phobias that I reeeaallly need to get over. These are two things I used to eat without qualms, and need to eat - I need the protein and the calcium. Heeeelllllppppp. I'm up for kind, helpful things or "suck it up and do it."

I'm very stressed with school and that tends to be when my eating disorder gets worse, so that may be part of the anxiety :-(

1) Cheese. A couple weeks ago, I bought some cheese crackers from Trader Joe's. When I got home, I looked on the ingredients and saw "rennet." Didn't know what it was. Googled and found out it was enzymes from cow's stomachs. This freaked me out and I have been unable to eat cheese ever since... I'm fine with yogurt (milk seems to be ok with me) but something about an enzyme from a cow's stomach, GROSS. Apparently there are vegetarian sources of these enzymes, but how does one know when the ingredients for cheese just say "enzymes"? I guess I am looking for ways to get over this, OR any types of cheese you might know that are truly vegetarian friendly.

2) Eggs. Read a comment online recently that eggs "are like eating a tiny animal whole." I know that an unfertilized egg is not going to be a chicken - it will not turn into an animal - but still, I am now freaked out by eggs. My parents HAVE chickens (I will be home on Friday) and even the thought of eating those eggs - cage free organic etc - causes me a lot of anxiety.

NOTE: I'm looking for HELP here, not unhelpful posts (as one might find on the main forum) that humans shouldn't eat dairy anyway etc etc etc. I am not looking to increase my food issues. :-)

Thanks to whatever you can offer.
love tc

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I need help getting over some specific food fears [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really have any experience with this type of stuff, but would it help (since you appear to be scientifically-minded) to think about them in smaller parts? Like, the egg yolk is 31% lipids and 17% proteins. I'm sure you could break down even further (actually, here is a pretty good reference http://www.public.iastate.edu/~duahn/teaching/Neobiomaterials%20and%20Bioregulation/Egg%20Components.pdf).

Cheese: not too sure, but I did find this list of cheese made without rennet. http://www.public.iastate.edu/~duahn/teaching/Neobiomaterials%20and%20Bioregulation/Egg%20Components.pdf I would say a good place to look would be someplace like Whole Paycheck or a co-op, if you have one.
Quote Reply
Re: I need help getting over some specific food fears [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I could provide some words of wisdom to help get over the fears, but here are at least a few ways to sidestep them.

Trader Joe's publishes a list of the cheeses and the kinds of rennet they use -- look here. A lot of their cheeses apparently don't use animal products in the rennet.
http://www.traderjoes.com/guides/rennet-test.asp

As for eggs, are you okay with just the whites? Whites have less nutrition than whole eggs, but they still have a lot of protein, no fat, and the white is NEVER going to be "part" of an animal really, even in a fertilized egg. That might be at least a first step toward getting over an egg phobia.
Quote Reply
Re: I need help getting over some specific food fears [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The TJ's list is very helpful. Thank you so much.
Egg whites would be a good step for the eggs.
The womens are amazing :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: I need help getting over some specific food fears [lawswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I just searched the local brand (Tilamook) cheese and it had a list of which have animal-derived rennet and which don't.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Thanks. I just searched the local brand (Tilamook) cheese and it had a list of which have animal-derived rennet and which don't.

none of the kosher cheeses (including Tilamook's kosher runs) use animal rennet - not allowed
Quote Reply
Re: I need help getting over some specific food fears [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good to know. Thank you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a suggestion in addition to the excellent comments above --

if the thought of eating eggs or cheese is adding to your stress, make a deal with yourself that you just won't eat eggs or non-vegetarian cheese for six months. Then reassess. You can get your protein elsewhere (and don't forget the fat, that's very important too). In a situation like this it seems more important to go with the flow than fight yourself, which takes too much time and energy. In other words, think about it positively -- "I can get my nutrients by eating these other things instead" instead of "why do I have these food phobias . . . etc etc wormhole."

Most of all understand this is not a lifelong thing.
Quote Reply
Re: I need help getting over some specific food fears [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That's good advice. I have indeed had times before when eggs have not felt okay for whatever irrational reason, and I've just not eaten them until that feeling goes away. I can't remember how long it lasted - a month, maybe.

I went to the co-op store last night and they had egg salad sandwiches; I thought "hmmm maybe that would feel okay" as it is removed from the process of cracking eggs into a pan or peeling a shell of a hard boiled egg. The suggestion to try egg whites sat okay with me too.

I usually am ok with going with the flow but am worried here because of the protein and calcium... it would be a good opportunity to try other protein sources (I rarely eat tempeh, for instance)... the calcium is a much larger issue. I tried calcium supplements but those can be uhhhh well constipating (sorry tmi) so that's no fun. Of course there are other sources of Ca - soymilk, milk, yogurt... but cheese netted me calcium, protein, and I *like* it.

In short, I agree with going with the flow but these two seem worth working through. I think I can agree to eating the vegetarian cheeses - that is fine, I have no qualms with cheese aside from the rennet thing - and the eggs, we'll see if I feel like trying egg whites and sitting with whatever anxieties come up.

Thank you for your thoughtful post :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, I admit limited experience with these things.

But, I was thinking. You said you would be home soon and your parents have chickens. Would it help at all if you took a fresh egg from one of the hens and stuck it under a heat lamp and 'proved' to yourself that it didn't turn into a chick?

I think Kiki had some good points. Go with the flow. It may also give you some time to broaden your eating horizons, like you mentioned with the tempeh. Lastly, just go ahead and think about stuff a little. Maybe try to re-associate eggs with positive thoughts?

I'm certain this will improve for you in whatever way that will be. In the meantime, don't beat yourself up about it and try not to stress. It's OK, your feelings are your feelings. Feeling aren't always constant and stationary though. They move, ebb, and flow. Sometimes we just have to hold out until they pass.
You are already ahead of the game on this by being candid and looking for ideas.
:-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's almost impossible to make good cake without eggs.

Thus by eating them, you're eating cake in potentia.

Delicious cake.

Who wouldn't want to eat cake building blocks? It's like eating frosting with a spoon!

Mmm...frosting.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Mar 20, 14 6:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had some of these same issues. I'm vegetarian as well, and usually get my protein through dairy/ eggs. I go through periods where the thought of eggs really creeps me out. Not necessarily in baking, more if I eat them on toast kind of gross. My daughter just became vegan, but that lifestyle doesn't work for me. I like dairy. So now I eat eggs in stuff but not by themselves, and LOVE Tillamook cheese (the rennet free kind).
I thought about suggesting you track your protein intake, but that can get a little obsessive so probably not practical. But maybe you could add some protein powder to smoothies or something to get the protein you're not getting if eggs are out of your diet? Also, I love edemame and tofu. I'm sure you're already eating some of that but that'll add protein to diet as well.
Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if addressing your stress might help with your anxiety over these foods.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has exposure therapy worked for you in the past? I've had brushes with food worries but they were a bit different. I had a horrible time with anxiety a couple years ago where I was afraid to eat anything solid because I was terrified of choking. I tried to live on smoothies. I moved to eating soft foods such as mashed potatoes then moved back to solid foods when I was with another person. A slow exposure therapy so to speak.

Maybe going out for breakfast where someone else prepares the eggs? Maybe not having to cook them yourself will help with a first step.

It sounds like you have a solution for the cheese.

I also agree that this might be an opportunity to explore other sources of protein and calcium.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
how does one know when the ingredients for cheese just say "enzymes"? I guess I am looking for ways to get over this, OR any types of cheese you might know that are truly vegetarian friendly.

plenty of calcium in other foods, anyways from what I remember from my lacto-veggie days any cheese that says "microbial culture" in general is safe from a rennet perspective, there should be quite some of those around (in general though not imported cheeses like Parmesan etc. where they are usually made according to traditional recipes, which do pretty much all mandate rennet)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about the liquid eggs or egg whites where you don't even have to see the shell?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC - I don't have any advice other than the great answers you've already received. I just want to say good luck with it. You'll get through this just like you've gotten through all of the rest of it. Your very tough and you will find a way to get through this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are concerned about your nutrition during some food aversion, you can always drink something like Ensure Complete (or generic equivalents which are much cheaper).
Everything you need in a shake, and reportedly suitable for vegetarians who are ok with milk.
The docs put people on it who can't handle solids, for whatever reason.
I've been drinking it (and generics) for a month, not bad - but then I'm not picky.
Just a thought.
Take care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised no one here has suggested that you can get all your protein/calcium/nutritional needs without cheese and eggs...
Let's be real. This is 2014.
If you're not down with eating eggs - that's ok!
If you're not down with eating cheese - that's ok!
Try the alternatives for a while - don't force yourself to "get over it."
But yeah, maybe you want to think about addressing the stress issue that's causing all the anxiety.
Good luck.
And if you need non-animal cheese and egg suggestions, dm me...
-the vegan space.monkey
Quote Reply
Re: I need help getting over some specific food fears [space.monkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing wrong with wanting to get over your fears of specific foods, but also nothing wrong with not eating them either. Sounds like being vegan might be a good thing for you. Lots of ways to get calcium and protein without cheese and eggs
Quote Reply
Re: I need help getting over some specific food fears [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update - I am home. I had eggs with dinner last night and had a veggie burger w/ cheese for lunch today. I am still not totally "over" it but have started trying to reintroduce myself to these foods. The cheese is truly vegetarian friendly. The eggs - I ate them yolk and all - I am home, and I figured eating the whole egg was easier than trying to explain to my parents why I was just eating whites. I don't want them to get stressed out that I am relapsing, because I am not - this is the first time in a very long time I've had anxiety over any one food in particular. I can't even remember the last specific-food-freak-out, actually. Anyway, I'm still not feeling totally chill about eggs or cheese, but will keep eating them and "sitting with the feelings" because I need that nutrition... and sitting through the feelings is better than getting hurt because I'm malnourished.

I appreciate all of the support. It is more helpful than I can say.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the update TC. Very brave of you to face your fears and to share with the community here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"sitting with the feelings"

That's awesome! great job.

Quote Reply
Re: I need help getting over some specific food fears [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Discovered today that Swiss Miss cocoa has 300 mg calcium per packet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you are coping! I have never been diagnosed with an eating disorder, however I know I have tended towards it in the past (calorie restriction and meal skipping to the point of noticeable weight loss). I too have ridiculous food fears. Mine is of white creamy food....milk, sour cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese, mayo, yogurt...I don't even like it when these things touch me. The only dairy that I eat is cheese, and I should probably be concerned that I am not getting enough calcium as I am sure the cheese that I do eat is probably not enough. Oddly though, ice cream is OK for me...maybe it is because of the thicker consistency. I have never been able to rid myself of my fear so kudos to you for working through it! Good luck!
Quote Reply

Prev Next