Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I need fashion help
Quote | Reply
I will be at a conference Thurs-Saturday of next week. Fashion is not my forte.

- I have a skirt that hits a couple inches above my knees - dark green with thin tan stripes. I usually wear this with a white sweater. What color tights or nylons do I wear? What color shoes? (Is tan ok?) If I wear nylons and dressy sandals, will that look strange?

There will be more questions as I assemble outfits :P

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I need fashion help [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nylons are always fine, but sandals are really only appropriate if you are going to a warm climate in February.

If you go with tan shoes, I would suggest nude nylons, giving the impression of endless legs, whereas a different colored skirt, nylons, and shoes will chop up your lines more. However, you're tall enough to get away with anything, if you choose.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the stripes are pencil thin than the white sweater may pass. If not, match the top with the skirt. Nylons or any foot and leg covering with sandals is not allowed. Find a nice pair of flats that are neutral to the colors you choose to wear. Tan should work but if they match your skin tone, go darker or lighter. The same applies to nylons.

Quote | Reply
I have to get my husband to "dress" me, so I can't help with the fashion part, but I do have a practical suggestion: Be sure to dress in layers. Conference rooms often have horrible, and fluctuating (within the room or between rooms), temperatures. I usually try and put together an outfit that has a shirt I'm comfortable wearing without anything else, and a light sweater or dress jacket I can put on over it.

The other think I've noticed that there is a kind of conference "decay" that happens. First day everybody shows up in their business best and by the last day they are in casual Friday duds.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: I need fashion help [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah I am bringing jeans too... but there are 2 days I give talks (the first and last - 3 day conference). I figured I'd dress up on the days I'm giving talks.

Thanks for the help!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I need fashion help [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People still wear nylons?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: I need fashion help [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Yes

Since you said you were presenting I would wear a blazer as well. A cropped jacket would work too. For a presenter at all the conferences I go to they all wear a suit or similar (pencil skirt/pants, blouse, jacket). Tights or nylons and a small heal shoe (1 - 2 inches) is best. No sandals and flats are a bit casual too. It is always better to be the best dressed in the house vs being embarrassed being the worst dressed.
Quote Reply
Re: I need fashion help [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:

Only when she asks me to. :)
Quote Reply
Re: I need fashion help [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FTW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would forgoe wearing the jeans at all, instead wear dress slacks with a sweater or collared shirt. You will be 'presenting' a professional demeanor every day of the conference, not just the days you are standing up in front of a crowd.

Oh, and if need be, and you have a tan line at the ankle from too much time on the bike/run, and the contrast shows through your hosiery, it's totally OK to put makeup on your feet!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Last edited by: ABarnes: Mar 7, 14 9:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly green + tan + white + nylons is going to look weird; if you want to wear that skirt you can do it with a black collared shirt or sweater, black leggings/nylons and black shoes. Try not to wear more than two or maybe, just maybe, three colors. For a professional setting go with grays, blacks, whites, dark blues and stay away from browns. Never ever wear sandals (there's no such a thing as "dressy sandals").

You can get a way with jeans as long as they are not "mom jeans", they a solid dark blue and you dress them up with some formal shoes (or boots) and a nice jacket or a formal collared blouse and a sweater.
Last edited by: Maui_: Mar 9, 14 15:08
Quote Reply