Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I have self control issues when it comes to eating junk
Quote | Reply
Hi all

I am new to the forum but have been reading all your posts for a while now. I am not overweight as such but would like to lose a little bit of body fat but find it so hard to resist chocolate, lollies, cake etc etc etc. I normally pretty good at home because I just don't buy the stuff but as soon as I get to work I am surrounded by the stuff and everyone else is eating it!

I would love to know how you all resist the temptation?

Cheers
Mands
Quote Reply
Re: I have self control issues when it comes to eating junk [mandsxox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you get the answer, let me know. I just ate another piece of cake.

Welcome!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: I have self control issues when it comes to eating junk [mandsxox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just ate 2 handfuls of ju-jubes UGH!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let it go! You are on the edge of a cliff, there is no reason to torture yourself with fruits and vegetables. Sooner or later you are going to give up so just let it go now and make it easier on yourself.

I am 100% serious! Just think when you come up with a plan or some sort of healthy diet... Just think about if you can live like that for the rest of your life? If you are happy with how you look and feel who gives about what you eat? You come to life only once enjoy it while it lasts. now I am going inside for another ice cream...
Last edited by: swimfan®: Jan 25, 09 20:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all, welcome :-)

I used to have MAJOR control issues when it came to eating junk food. When I first started dating my now-fiance, I gained close to 20 lbs. He lives off of kit-kats, bread and butter, and soda (basically sugar, carbs, and fat). I wasn't one to turn down a brownie sundae or a milk shake, and it started to show pretty quickly.

The things that got me to change were 1) feeling like an ass wearing sweatpants to class every day 2) not being able to break a 10 minute mile and (mainly) 3) feeling AWFUL every time I ate poorly.

Now, whenever the boy-toy shows up with chocolate cake or another bag of snickers, I think really hard about whether feeling like crap for hours is worth the 3 minutes of deliciousness. Usually, this is enough to turn me off from sweets. I'll always be a sucker for Ben and Jerry's strawberry cheesecake ice cream, though ;-)

Also, as I'm sure others will tell you, just be strong and eat well for about 3 days, and typically the sugar cravings will go away.

Good luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm right there with you on control issues. Unfortunately that whole "everything in moderation" thing is true. My advice to you, especially if you're happy with your body, is eat what you want as long as you're also eating what you need.

Another issue you might be having that I deal with at my workplace is feeling like you need to eat the junk when everyone else is. Not necessarily peer-pressure, but when co-workers see that I don't grab a piece of b-day cake they make remarks (I don't think they mean to be rude) about being a health freak or being "so thin". No! I'm normal...you're all just fat! If this is part of your problem, take the junk food back to your desk and think about it for a minute. If you really want it, eat it. If not, hide it in the trash and no one will know.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mands,

My best trick? NEVER eat any of that junk food alone...you are guaranteed to eat more! If you eat in front of others, they will really judge if you gorge...My best friend has that same "problem" and I never knew...it was because she always ate the whole box of cookies alone in her room where no one could see her! :)

Also, I always eat things that are totally worth it--don't eat the crappy junk food if you're going to--go all out. :-)

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now, whenever the boy-toy shows up with chocolate cake or another bag of snickers, I think really hard about whether feeling like crap for hours is worth the 3 minutes of deliciousness. Usually, this is enough to turn me off from sweets. I'll always be a sucker for Ben and Jerry's strawberry cheesecake ice cream, though ;-)

Yeah I'm with you on that one. I'm aiming to lose 10 pounds by the start of the season, but they're my last ten, so they'll be the hardest. It does take time to change your diet. It will take some self control, but once you resist one time, it'll be easier the next time. You will probably fall off the wagon a few times(I have), but no big deal just start over. Always try to keep yourself full of good foods and it will be relatively easy to avoid the junk. Good luck and just start cutting back a little at a time.

------------------------------------------------------------
I have failed at many things, but never in my desire to try again.
Quote Reply
Re: I have self control issues when it comes to eating junk [bostonhopeful] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you eat in front of others, they will really judge if you gorge...
Yikes, anyone who judges me for what I eat (or don't eat for that matter) can F right off.

Quote | Reply
count me in too...it is freankin' FREE here...you name it...chips, pretzels, chocolate, taffy, candy, granola, popcorn, soda, etc, etc....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Re: I have self control issues when it comes to eating junk [KT-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much for all your help and advice. I'm going to be very brave and post my weight every Monday until my Half IM race on May 2nd. I'm sure there will be relapses on the way but I am going to try my best not to eat crap at work or home. I have decided that I can eat whatever I want if I go out to lunch/dinner.
I know the boys have their own post but men find it easier to lose weight!

Here goes...

week 1
61.2kg

goal 58.0kg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mandsox, I am cracking up about you being "brave" to post your weight...speaking for myself I have no idea how much 61 kg equals. So rock on and enjoy that diet.

I too have issues with junk food after 4 PM. Before 4, I am an entirely different type of eater. Afternoons, it's like Jekyll and Hyde. Working on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm female and post every week in the weight loss challenge. I had to make the post of shame this week b/c I fell of the wagon and gained back the 2 pounds I had lost over the last two weeks. I'm still working on it. Good luck to you.

------------------------------------------------------------
I have failed at many things, but never in my desire to try again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear a workout bikini every time you swim. You will be so paranoid about how you look in it that it will become easy to put the food down. Seriously! I don't know or see any women who swim in those that don't have the shape to carry them off.

And then take your own healthy stuff with you to work and when the doughnuts, cakes and pizza come out, always eat some of your good stuff first so you're not hungry when temptation is presented.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pick a day, or a couple days of the week, that you DO let yourself eat a normal portion of whatever sweet it is you want. You allow yourself to eat it and ENJOY IT AND NOT FEEL GUILTY on that day; the other days you have to sit through the temptation.

Grab a piece of fruit, if it is sugar you are craving. As others have said, if you stop eating sugary stuff after a couple days you'll stop craving it. I had a Yolpait yogurt today which is ALL fake HFCS sugary basically, it tasted awful to me. You'll develop a taste for good sweets (I've been into chocolate biscotti lately) and chocolate lollies cake will stop being so appealing.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I have self control issues when it comes to eating junk [Leloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Also, as I'm sure others will tell you, just be strong and eat well for about 3 days, and typically the sugar cravings will go away.

It's more like 3 weeks in reality, but you're spot on about the rest! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: I have self control issues when it comes to eating junk [Felipe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm ...I haven't had any junk in 3 days and the cravings are gone. Maybe when you have been subsisting solely on candy/soda/bread, it takes 3 weeks ;-)

BTW, are you stalking me???
Quote Reply
Re: I have self control issues when it comes to eating junk [Leloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a room, you two! :P

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
BTW, are you stalking me???

http://www.Felipe-Bastos.com
--------------------------------------------
Blog: felipebastos.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/felipebastos
Twitter: @felipebastos1
Quote Reply
Re: I have self control issues when it comes to eating junk [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I CAN NOT stand 'light' yogurt now ...the artificial sweetener makes it taste soooo gross. The regular ones definitely don't taste like good-for-you food, but I can sort of deal with them.

Have you tried the Dannon all natural yogurts? They don't have any HFCS.
Quote Reply
Re: I have self control issues when it comes to eating junk [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trust me, I'd love to ...he has been away at school for the past two weeks :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the yogurts I had today were indeed the 'light' variety. I am not sure it actually classified as "yogurt" (I normally eat Stonyfield organic stuff... guess what's in it... milk and bacteria :D )

The regular versions to me taste like ice cream.

Meanwhile I am awake hungry; eating good things, minestrone soup (homemade!) with parmesan and a piece of good dark mint chocolate.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I have self control issues when it comes to eating junk [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I have been strong all week and have managed to stay away from the junk but the cravings have not gone away!

Week 1: 61.2kg (134.922 pounds)
week 2: 60.0kg (132.277 pounds)
week 3: 59.8kg (131.836 pounds)

goal weight 58.0kg (127.868 pounds)

I'm going to find out how I can join in with the main weight loss forum on the tri site.
Last edited by: mandsxox: Feb 9, 09 17:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I eat 2% Greek yogurt, Fage. Low in calories (140?), very high in protein (17g) and tasts fantastic with honey and fresh berries. Very filling and no sugar or additives.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I'm a sweets fanatic (especially chocolate), the only way I've found to enjoy my sweets without getting fat is to log everything that goes into my mouth (online calorie tracker), along with an accurate representation of calories burned during activity (from my HR monitor). If I've gone over for the day...guess what...time to hit the treadmill (or trainer) before bed. Not that I actually do that...but I do try to keep somewhat within my recommended caloric range : ). It's a little time consuming, but it gets quicker with time. I used to lose weight automatically as I geared up for a big race. Now, I need to watch my caloric intake to pull that off. Plus, I've found it's incredibly useful for making sure you are getting enough calories on big training days. Makes a world of difference with recovery.
Quote Reply

Prev Next