Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I hate riding on the trainer!!
Quote | Reply
So I had a crappy weekend of training. I was supposed to do 2.5 hours on the bike today, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I am so sick of the trainer!!! I have been riding on the trainer since October, and it looks like I will still have a few more months on it given the fact that it is currently snowing. How do you all cope with it? I think I'm in the process of convincing my hubby to move to Hawaii.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate riding on the trainer!! [spacebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Compu-Trainer, + I-Pod, and a movie on Large TV with subtitles. I have been able to ride on trainer for 5-6 hours many Sundays over this past winter with the listed combo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't (<10 times this winter, never more than 50 minutes). I call it my offseason, but do hate having to start from scratch each spring. That said, it sounds like your spring comes a lot later than mine!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally refuse to ride the trainer. What about taking what you would spend on it (plus the stuff to keep you entertained while you're on it) and spending it on clothing or equipment that let's your ride in cold/bad/wet weather? I finally had to break down and get full fenders for my 'cross bike this year. And studded tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get some rollers.

seriously!!

ask anyone who has rollers and they'll tell you they love them about 10x more than the trainer. on my trainer, i always had to watch movies, and even then i would still have to get off after 1.5 hours.

on the rollers, i just listen to music (no movies), and i can go for over 2 hours!

the nice thing about rollers is that your bike isn't held up rigidly for you. you actually have to use your brain a bit while biking on rollers - so it's more stimulating, and feels a little more like riding outdoors :)

a trainer is good to keep around for doing intervals, though, so don't go selling it if you like doing intervals in the winter!
Last edited by: tegra: Mar 22, 10 7:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! yeah...well don't pack your bags and move to Hawaii just yet...right next to California they're broke and taxing people to death! 2.5 hours on a trainer is rough though!

Custom made race bags! Spring Sale starts tomorrow...register to get your coupon code: https://shop.racesrmybag.com/register.sc

Carol Bedard
http://www.racesrmybag.com
Blog: http://blog.racesrmybag.com/

"If you could swim, bike and run and never get tired...why would you want to do anything else?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i managed 2.25hrs last sunday while watching "generation kill" episodes on dvd with tanker..

..but couldn't get motivated to get on the trainer at all this weekend after putting my adductors, abductors, quads and glutes through my first 3 hockey games in 4 years. i'm am NOT a fan of stairs right now, and couldn't bear the thought of even an easy spin. will have to try it tonight, as i have a goal to reach by the end of this month, and a lot of work to do in order to make it..

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Faced with cold and wind at 9AM Saturday, and the possibility of missing the Villanova game by going later, I choose the trainer.

The KEY, IMHO, is to break up the 2.5 hours with a series of sets or intervals.... I start with 30 minutes warm up, then move to a set of 10 on / 5 off, gradually increasing pace, HR, watts each set. by the 4th one, I'm pretty much hanging on for dear life. 1:30 done. then i take an easy 15 minute spin break and then do one min. on / one min. off x 10 hard. there goes another 20 minutes. 2 plus hours done. next i do a series of one legged drills, kills another 15 minutes, high RPM, then warm down 10 minutes, VOILA, there is your 2:30 bike time.

Staring endlessly doing nothing is boring as sin. You gotta mix it up. And always use the TV or Ipod to keep the distractions going, although when I'm doing intervals, I'm staring at the computer / drooling on the top tube praying for the minutes to go by faster and the pain to end...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I will roll the dice and try my hubby's rollers...but maybe on my aluminum bike instead of my fancy ones. :) I do watch movies when I ride, but I think that's my trouble - I do much better with spinervals videos and stuff like that since someone is telling me what to do and keeping track of time. When I am always keeping an eye on my computer, I find that the seconds/minutes go by really slowly, especially when I am doing difficult work. I still keep an eye on my watts when I do the videos, but that doesn't get me down like watching the time drag by does. I love intervals, but hate timing myself. I think I was mentally worn down this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spacebabe, are you into watching any TV shows? I just started watching Lost --an am SO addicted, BTW--ended up riding on my rollers this Sat for 2.5 hrs and the time FLEW by...
Quote Reply
Re: I hate riding on the trainer!! [tridouche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am well into Lost...I became addicted to it a few years ago when I was working the overnight shift. Unfortunately, that means that I am all caught up, but yeah it's definitely a wicked show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get on Skype and ride with my boyfriend via video chat in Cleveland. Love it. We push each other through intervals. Find someone to ride long distance with!

:-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: I hate riding on the trainer!! [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen you around here in awhile! Hope all is well.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a 6 month "trainer season" around here. I have a whole library of Spinervals and Endurance Rides dvds that I use. I've also learned to turn off my brain for any trainer ride over 1 1/2 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jodi, that is the cutest idea for a trainer ride I've ever heard! Very sweet. I spend my trainer rides in the garage looking at the floor while I do intervals. We have some old Tour tapes that we can watch but those are better to nap to than ride to. No wonder I can only last an hour on the trainer. The longest session I have done is at a friend's house, she pops in a movie and calls out intervals and drills. Trainer rides aren't my favorite no matter what the circumstances.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's an awesome idea that I never thought of!! I have buddies in other cities that I'm sure are training. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you have long earphones. It helps a lot since the trainer is pretty loud. Take turns making up workouts. We also compete at the end for who can get their HR the highest in the final sprint. :-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: I hate riding on the trainer!! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing well! Very busy, but loving Colorado and learning a ton. Wish I could train more, but it's not like I'm surprised by it!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear. I'm in grad school, loving it, but it's wicked busy!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I hate riding on the trainer!! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two reasons I hate trainers

#1 - they make my perfectly comfortable bike - HURT

#2 - they take the joy out of riding.

http://www.BikeShopGirl.com - Helping women find their way in cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate riding on the trainer!! [BikeShopGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Two reasons I hate trainers

#1 - they make my perfectly comfortable bike - HURT

i've found it to not be nearly as bad on the rollers :)

i think it's because the bike isn't rigid... my intuition (in other words, my bs thinking!) is that almost everyone rocks just a tad when they pedal, and that the bike can't to accommodate that movement. on the rollers, though, your bike can move to accommodate that - so it's a lot better :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amen Sista! I hate that MF too! I live in Atlanta and am spoiled with the weather, but yesterday was crappy so I got on that toucher contraption. With 30 mins left I stopped and got a beer out of the fridge. I do not recommend this. Alcohol and exercise have never worked with me but I just couldn't take it anymore. I thought watching Antiques Roadshow would make my mind drift, but all the stuff these people brought in sucked! Posters and pottery? I'm just happy I didn't pull out the gun and shoot myself. One thing I can tell you without any question is this - people who do suffer on that f%$#ing thing beat the hell out of people who don't ride in the off season. Your payoff will soon be realized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So do I. I sold mine, bought some booties, toe covers, smartwool long sleeve and socks, rain gear, and never looked back.
Quote Reply