Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I confess to unladylike behaviour
Quote | Reply
When I run my nose runs a lot especially in the winter damp air. I always carry a hanky so I can periodically blow my nose. Today I shoved my gloves in my pocket and forgot a clean hanky. Thirty minutes into my run I was getting nauseated from sniffing in instead of out and having the slime go down my throat. I finally got so frustrated I took a side trail from the main chip trail and covered one nostril and blew hard and then repeated for the other side...I was hoping like hell that I wouldn't just cover my face in snot but I was desperate. I learned two things, first I can really make snot fly a long way from my face and two it was a very effective way to clear my nose and continue my run. I never thought I would do that and I will not forget my hanky again BUT I did laugh at myself for the rest of the day.....you just never know what you may do when no one is looking!
Quote Reply
Re: I confess to unladylike behaviour [carlsomi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My grandfather taught me this when I was about 6 when riding horses. Hanky on the run or the bike? Guess I've never been ladylike.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During an outdoor workout, what's wrong with that? As long as you commit to it, you'll get the clearance you need. ;-)

That's totally my preferred way of clearing things up, nasally speaking, however I do draw the line at peeing off my bike!
Quote Reply
Re: I confess to unladylike behaviour [cjdavids] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I confess I am over half a century hence the fact that I own hankies and the laughter when I opted to blow my nose without one...and yes I did commit and admit to it! I also know my nose runs faster than I do...........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carlsomi wrote:
Yes I confess I am over half a century hence the fact that I own hankies and the laughter when I opted to blow my nose without one...and yes I did commit and admit to it! I also know my nose runs faster than I do...........

At least you are running outside...I've been running on the dreadmill for the past month, and will have to put up with it until the sun decides to come back.

I can't spit, though. I tried to once while riding my bike and ended up nailing my shoe instead. Grossed myself right out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well....I thought my personal flare and finesse with my snot rockets were what set me apart from my male counterparts!?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was expecting something shocking - the only thing I'm shocked about is that you haven't always been doing this!

Just a hint - make sure you not snotting into the wind - lessons learned the hard way...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always maintained that if you don't like bodily fluids, don't exercise, and particularly don't ride a bike in a bunch!

Snot rockets are just part of the deal and in my mind, a damn sight more hygenic than a warm sodden hanky festering in the jersey pocket for a hour or so. I do compromise though and wear a snot (sweat) band when I'm out bunch riding so I can make some kind of pretense at being ladylike - usually destroyed by letting expletives fly at some nuff nuff who can't ride or perving rather obviously at the best bit of rump in the bunch going past..

Speaking of unladylike, should we mention peeing on the go while racing??
Quote Reply
Re: I confess to unladylike behaviour [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This technique formally known in Aus as the "bush-grot" is sooo effective, better than a soggy sweaty tissue or the bacterial breeding ground of a re-used hanky. I admit to this all the time in hayfever season. You just have to be good at it or it'll end up all over your face/shoulder/forearm LOL!!! i learnt to do this in the snow when i was a kid (yes we have snow here but I have since learnt it's crap compared to the rest of the world) when you have cheap mittens on with frozen fingers, the dexterity to operate a tissue/hanky doesn't exist.. hence.. bush-grot! unlady-like is the least of the concerns in snow sports and triathlons, however i refuse to pee on my stuff during a race or at any other time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you. Liberating, isn't it. It works so well. So much better than continuing sucking the same stuff back into your nose over and over again.

I agree w/ the body fluids post. It's part of exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got my latest Running Times. It has a lot of athletes puking, so by comparison, snot rockets are mild. Haha.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I could blow snot rockets. All my attempts have been miserable failures.
Quote Reply
Re: I confess to unladylike behaviour [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't try it in aero. I spent 2/3 of an olympic tri with snot all over my left shoulder once!

I think I'd actually be forced to confess if I ever engaged in behaviour that was ladylike.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Snot rockets... love it!!

As long as the wind is the right way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had to do this a million times during Tough Mudder. My fiance was doing it too, but the first time I followed suit, he faked horror and gasped "Ugh, what kind of /girl/ does that!?" It was made extra hilarious by the fact that we were mutually coated in mud.

Edition: My own confession - I was chugging along on my first 10k and with half a mile to go, my shoelace came untied. As I stopped, I shouted an expletive so loudly that the lovely old lady behind me (who later recommended her Yankz, which I now use) thought I had hurt myself. Not exactly "grace under pressure" but man, having to stop and get going again... *cry*

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Last edited by: Agilecipher: Feb 13, 13 8:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have successfully completed a double snot rocket on a few occasions... both nostrils at the same time.

As others have said, be wary of the wind direction, but if riding with a group or even just one other person - make sure there isn't anyone right behind you as they may be hit as well. Learned this the hard way from nailing my husband. He was non-to-happy about that!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my husband taught me how to blow snot. when i told my mom about my new trick, she was horrified. and immediately said, you did not let your husband see you do that!!! no words when i told her he taught me how.
Quote Reply
Re: I confess to unladylike behaviour [timberdick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great story, I have had as much laughter from the replies to my post as I had at myself for actually blowing a "snot rocket". It was indeed liberating......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is totally gross. i nearly puked when i saw my same husband blow some snot. It landed on his arm, and and and he licked it off! That should of been a deal breaker! i make sure my aim is true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And quite a useful habit if there's some tool (riding Campag) on your wheel who won't blow off and insists on shattering the peace.

A few sprays in their general direction and they tend to find another wheel to sit on. Since getting my nose re-bored a few years back I now have the happy talent of being able to let fly with both nostrils totally unassisted - very useful :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was very descriptive. I wish I wasn't eating a peanut butter and honey sandwich, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been known to blow my nose directly on my shirt during a snotty run. Once you go to the bathroom in the bushes it is all downhill from there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: I confess to unladylike behaviour [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL it's true, blowing a snot rocket is like a gateway misbehavior. Now it seems so normal I don't even look around to see if anyone will see me do it on the trail. Getting to the nitty gritty, does an aspiring IM sh*t in the woods on a 100 mile training ride? That's between us and the bears . . .

http://www.yearoftrainingdangerously.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: I confess to unladylike behaviour [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You just have to do it with 100% committment. There is no half snot rocket. Plug one hole and blow with purpose and force out the other.

Practice makes perfect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carlsomi wrote:
When I run my nose runs a lot especially in the winter damp air. I always carry a hanky so I can periodically blow my nose. Today I shoved my gloves in my pocket and forgot a clean hanky. Thirty minutes into my run I end of tenancy cleaning gold coast as getting nauseated from sniffing in instead of out and having the slime go down my throat. I finally got so frustrated I took a side trail from the main chip trail and covered one nostril and blew hard and then repeated for the other side...I was hoping like hell that I wouldn't just cover my face in snot but I was desperate. I learned two things, first I can really make snot fly a long way from my face and two it was a very effective way to clear my nose and continue my run. I never thought I would do that and I will not forget my hanky again BUT I did laugh at myself for the rest of the day.....you just never know what you may do when no one is looking!

You just shared toughest and embarrassing moments. it is so difficult to spend all day when you forget your hanky and your nose is leaking
Last edited by: starcclarke04: Feb 17, 13 20:46
Quote Reply

Prev Next