Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I can't ride on aerobars
Quote | Reply
I got myself a tri bike and I can't handle riding on aerobars. I can ride with either hand on the aerobar for a few minutes then I freak out and put both hands back on the hoods but most of the time I'm just too freaked. I've tried almost everything, riding without cleats, riding the tri bike with just hands on the hoods for starters (never progressed beyond that), just can't do it.

Any tips or tricks? I know it comes like second nature to some people but unfortunately I'm not one of them. I freak on roads where there are lots of cars (I live in the city so that's just about every other road)....
Quote Reply
Re: I can't ride on aerobars [hokeypokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You described me! I was almost to the point of selling my tri bike and buying a road bike, but as a last-ditch effort I moved my bars out almost as far as would go. I feel like I have MUCH better control this way. Even now I still only ride in aero on flat or uphill, traffic-free roads for no more than a mile or so at a time, but if I ever do get more comfortable, I can always move the bars back in a bit at a time.

It's not a bad idea to ride in the hoods anyway if you are in traffic, just in case you need to brake in a hurry.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are not alone, I am an experienced roadie, turned triathlete, and I am not comfortable on the aerobars in traffic - mainly because you have no ability to control your speed in the aerobars - you have to shift your hands to the bullhorns to get to your brakes. In traffic, I want to be able to stop as quickly as possible due to the proximity of cars.

Assuming you have another bike to ride, I would save riding your tribike for when you can take it out of the city on routes you feel comfortable - like roads with big shoulders and very few intersections. Practice riding a few minutes in aerobars and then sit up for a few minutes. As you gain experience on it, you will be able to put more time in on the aerobars. Also practice shifting from aerobars to bullhorns on the trainer so you feel comfortable moving between the two positions.

Also - did you get fit to the bike? I would go back to the shop and explain your difficulties - if you have an aggressive position, you might also be reacting to how your weight is distributed over the front end - a more upright position might be more user friendly as you get used to the bike. You can revisit your position as you get more comfortable.

We have all been there - assuming you have a comfortable position, time in the saddle will help alot! Don't worry too much about being low yet - just get comfortable and then you can worry about the most aerodynamic position.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two ways to get used to adapt to your aero bars: fit and practice. It took me a long time to feel comfortable with my bars. I started with clip ons on my road bike, and initially could only hold on to them for seconds. I added time in aero incrementally, and finally got to the point where I could spend a good amount of time in them. Still, I never really felt comfortable until I got a TT bike, and I didn't really feel like I was faster there. Once I got used to that and kept tweaking the fit, I finally got to the point where I could live in aero and was achieving better speed. In fact, I was just riding my roadie the other day and lamenting that I couldn't drop to aero.

I think it would have taken me a lot more time to get used to it if I practiced initially in traffic. I found empty roads to practice on and drilled there, e.g., stay in aero for a minute longer than last time, hold a straight line in aero, etc., until I felt like I had control of the bike in that position. It is definitely worth it, but it does take much time and practice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hokeypokey wrote:
I got myself a tri bike and I can't handle riding on aerobars. I can ride with either hand on the aerobar for a few minutes then I freak out and put both hands back on the hoods but most of the time I'm just too freaked. I've tried almost everything, riding without cleats, riding the tri bike with just hands on the hoods for starters (never progressed beyond that), just can't do it.

Any tips or tricks? I know it comes like second nature to some people but unfortunately I'm not one of them. I freak on roads where there are lots of cars (I live in the city so that's just about every other road)....

Lots of good advice here. I used to race road bikes a long time ago and even did the odd mtn bike race in the fall after the road season ended. So I have pretty good bike handling skills. I got my tri bike a couple years ago. I remember the first outdoor bike ride I was really feeling out of my comfort zone with the position. I didn't take my hands off the areo bars for many miles. It took a few more rides before I could easily move my hands from the aero bars to the horns. And it took probably over a week to feel comfortable enough to grab my water bottle. I have a BMC time machine (hand-me down from a previous coach) which is awesome and fast but super twitchy. I still joke around about just moving my eyebrow and the bike will twitch. The moral to my story is it just takes time to get used to it. I still ride the horns in traffic and down long descents.

Perhaps on each ride, try to stay in your aero bars a little longer each time. And I also agree a pro bike fit is worth it. Best wishes!

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Herding Cats: Jan 20, 16 15:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No advice but I wanted to say thank you for posting this because I have been too embarrassed to admit that I am totally freaked out by my tri-bike. I am having my fit looked at in a couple of weeks - I think my seat is too high which means I feel really unstable even trying to get on and my other half even bought me some flat pedals (which I haven't had a chance to try because I bought my bike in November and hello snow).
Quote Reply
Re: I can't ride on aerobars [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
themadcyclist wrote:
You are not alone, I am an experienced roadie, turned triathlete, and I am not comfortable on the aerobars in traffic - mainly because you have no ability to control your speed in the aerobars - you have to shift your hands to the bullhorns to get to your brakes. In traffic, I want to be able to stop as quickly as possible due to the proximity of cars.

Assuming you have another bike to ride, I would save riding your tribike for when you can take it out of the city on routes you feel comfortable - like roads with big shoulders and very few intersections. Practice riding a few minutes in aerobars and then sit up for a few minutes. As you gain experience on it, you will be able to put more time in on the aerobars. Also practice shifting from aerobars to bullhorns on the trainer so you feel comfortable moving between the two positions.

Also - did you get fit to the bike? I would go back to the shop and explain your difficulties - if you have an aggressive position, you might also be reacting to how your weight is distributed over the front end - a more upright position might be more user friendly as you get used to the bike. You can revisit your position as you get more comfortable.

We have all been there - assuming you have a comfortable position, time in the saddle will help alot! Don't worry too much about being low yet - just get comfortable and then you can worry about the most aerodynamic position.

Good luck!

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help! I actually did get fitted but the fit was too aggressive that I felt even more uncomfortable, so I've taken to pushing the seat post down a little more so that more weight is on my a**. I'll move it back up when I do get more comfortable (if ever.....it seems like such a faraway goal).

In an almost last ditch attempt to get used to the aerobars, I bought a pair of parabolic rollers that are supposedly easier to use and set them up in a corridor in the house. I just did my first session and I've successfully managed to smash myself on both sides of the walls....repeatedly. I guess they say no pain no gain. But I figure smashing the walls is better than smashing the bike on the road or having a truck run over me.

My partner's favourite hobby is watching me trying to ride on the aerobars and then laughing his a** off. Guess he won't be getting dinner for awhile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rather than the (unholy) rollers, have you tried just putting it on a trainer to get a feel for the aero position without needing to worry about balance or traffic? It's not the same, but maybe a good first step. If it makes you feel any better, 1/2 block into my first ride on my tri bike I stopped and dismounted -- I thought there was something wrong with the front wheel, or something totally wonky in the front end somewhere. Nope... just me. lol Seriously, I felt like I was going to fall off. And that was riding on the basebar. You just kind of have to trust it and go with it. I got mine second-hand from a pro (similar to your situation), so it was set up aggressively. I now love that bike, and could ride it all day long -- but that said, I don't ride it in stop and go downtown traffic anymore. That's a pain in the neck when your shifters are in a different place from your brakes.

All good now, see? You can do it, don't give up! :) Edited to add: I took the intermediate step of putting clip-on aerobars on my road bike first, which -- while not totally ideal in terms of fit for triathlon -- I found was a good stepping stone to a more dedicated TT position.

Last edited by: surroundhound: Jan 21, 16 5:24
Quote Reply
Re: I can't ride on aerobars [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with putting the tri bike on the trainer. And don't ride in aerobars in the city traffic. Leave them for an open road.

Aside from fit, you might also make sure that you are flexible in your back, hips and hamstrings, and just be used to being in the position for a period of time. The trainer is good for that.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rollers are tough! If you can conquer riding rollers in your aerobars, you will have no problem on the open road. If you have a trainer, you might want to try that first.

In modifying your fit to feel more comfortable, I would not change your saddle height. See if you can move your bars up. You may be able to flip your stem to position the bars higher and feel more comfortable. Better yet, if you can, go back to the shop that did your fit and work with them on modifying your position until you are comfortable.

Good luck! It will take time to adapt, but you will adapt through practice. We've all been there!
Quote Reply
Re: I can't ride on aerobars [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with above. I have no idea how you would ever do it on rollers. I have never even tried them- I'm certain I would die. I echo starting on the regular trainer if it really freaks you out on the road. Also, go back and get a very relaxed fit with bars spaced wide. I like mine tilted up a little as well. If you have a road bike, it may be easier for you to use some clip ons first. And do you know what shape you like? That could make a difference. I feel I have more control and my wrists feel more comfortable with the kind that tip up at the end (like the Profile Design T1, not PD ADL). I started on deserted country roads for a few minutes at a time. Rest, then a few more minutes. And then just keep at it. If regular riding on the road with cars doesn't freak you out, eventually your skill will reassure you. Now I can do everything in the bars, to include eating and standing to pedal or just standing to go over a bump or something. Don't give up.
Quote Reply
Re: I can't ride on aerobars [afdrmom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A note on rollers: Riding a tri bike on the rollers can be done, even in the aerobars, but it takes a lot of practice! The easiest to ride on rollers actually, is a fixed gear bike.

But yes, start on a trainer.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: I can't ride on aerobars [afdrmom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
afdrmom wrote:
Agree with above. I have no idea how you would ever do it on rollers. I have never even tried them- I'm certain I would die. I echo starting on the regular trainer if it really freaks you out on the road. Also, go back and get a very relaxed fit with bars spaced wide. I like mine tilted up a little as well. If you have a road bike, it may be easier for you to use some clip ons first. And do you know what shape you like? That could make a difference. I feel I have more control and my wrists feel more comfortable with the kind that tip up at the end (like the Profile Design T1, not PD ADL). I started on deserted country roads for a few minutes at a time. Rest, then a few more minutes. And then just keep at it. If regular riding on the road with cars doesn't freak you out, eventually your skill will reassure you. Now I can do everything in the bars, to include eating and standing to pedal or just standing to go over a bump or something. Don't give up.

Thanks! Well actually the thing is I am perfectly ok on the trainer, it's really the act of balancing on the road in aero that freaks me out. I feel like if the wind blows in another direction, I might overcompensate the balancing and move my arm too much and wipe out or something like that.

Good tip with the fit and bars spaced wide. I'll go give it a try!

I live in the city so wide roads with no cars/wind is something that I don't have access to. The nearest wide road with fewer cars that I have access to is very windy and while there are fewer vehicles there are large trucks that sometimes travel at high speeds. I've tried a parking lot but being in the city, the carparks are narrow so by the time you get up to a decent speed that's like half of the lot gone and in another few pedal strokes you gotta get up and make a U-turn.

Will-not-give-up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are not alone! I felt the same way when I made the jump from a road bike to a triathlon bike a few years ago. I spent the winter on the trainer, but that did not really prepare me for riding outside and I very vividly remembering feeling terrified on my first ride outdoors. I spent very little time in aero once I realized how unsteady I felt. Fortunately I was living in Philadelphia at the time and one of the roads just outside of the city closes to cars on weekends starting in April, so I stuck to riding back and forth on that 4 mile stretch until I was comfortable in the aero position. That is just my personal anecdote, and here are some tips. If you can definitely practice on a trainer, while it cannot really simulate outdoor riding, you can at least make sure you are comfortable in aero indoors. This will help develop the core strength you need to ride on the aerobars, as well as figure out if there are any issues with your fit. I will also echo what others have said as far as ensuring you have a good fit. If you are not set-up correctly, that could lead you to feeling unstable when in the aero bars.

You will get there! It takes time, but the more you ride the better it will get. It may mean doing laps around the parking lot or in a neighborhood, but you will get there!

Emily Sherrard
@EmSher1