Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ITB Surgery Update
Quote | Reply
Hey all! 8 weeks post surgery and I think I mentioned that Andy Pruitt and Dr. Paul said it was one of the worst ones they had seen. So now 8 weeks later, scar is decent and minimal tenderness. I now can see a huge improvement in my knee going up and down stairs and just simple hikes with the kids. I rode outside on slight hills this week for an hour totally slow but it felt great. So much fun being outside again riding. I am swimming 1000yds easy with just a couple of 50's kicking with a board, and have started to walk the hills in the neighborhood. Doing lunges, step ups and downs and started easy machine lifting on my legs. No pain in my knee which is sooo great- back and hip get a bit tight so I have to stretch a bunch. My plan is to get back to consistent 25-30 milers bikes during the week, 1-1.5 mile swims twice a week, and then get to a hour walk with the hills. Once I can do all of that...then I'm going to need some major counseling to get back to running- but then I'll be ready to start doing 1min jogs during my walks and progress from there. I will be scared to death to actually try again but if I can walk the hills with no pain for an hour logically I should be able to run.

Its great to be able to be active with my kids again. I know we all love the tris so much and with it the competition- but if you all can learn from me that too much intensity and lack of balance can truly hurt your body and your future ability to just enjoy a daily active lifestyle- it would be so great. I have a brother with severe MS who uses a scooter with one side of his body working at 42 years old. He keeps it in perspective for me- I would really love to run again but boy I have to take care of this one body so I can lead an active life for soooo many years to come. So I am sooo thankful the surgery has worked but boy I am going to be careful going forward! Will keep you updated! Thanks for the support!

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Re: ITB Surgery Update [COTrimom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great news!! Hope you doing those one min runs pain free soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy to hear that you are doing well!

What exactly did they do with your IT band once they were in there?
Quote Reply
Re: ITB Surgery Update [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pruitt's clan at Boulder Sports Center have come up with a better option than just cutting into the ITB to loosen it- instead they cut a window around the notch on your knee- can't remember the medical name- then they feather it a bit and that loosens it up on the knee. They also scoped me while they were in there and got rid of some scar tissue that had formed from having the ITB issue for so long. It really is a big difference in my ITB- it is totally relaxed now. Now just strengthening up all of the muscles around it so I can run again.

COtrimom

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the perspective, COTrimom! We can't hear that enough. Glad to hear you're on the mend.
Quote Reply