Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ISM saddle suggestions
Quote | Reply
Submitting this question to you ladies on behalf of my wife.

I just got here new PRfive bike, and we're trying to get her fit properly (tricky, given that we can't actually visit our normal fitter right now). The bike came with the PN 2.1 saddle, which seems to be working great for me...but she's concerned about inner-thigh rubbing. I think at the very least we need to move it back (it's a bit too far forward anyway), and I know there's a definitely "break in" period with learning to ride a noseless saddle (she's been riding a Specialized Amira for the last few years, traditional saddle...which hasn't been the most comfortable).

That all being said, I emailed QR and they also have the PN 3.0 available, so I might be able to do a swap. My wife is 5'3" tall, and has most of her height in her torso.

Do any of you ladies who ride QR have the stock saddle, or do you otherwise have any experience or recommendations regarding the ISM saddles? I'm certainly not above getting her a different brand, but for what tri bikes cost, I'd expect this to be pretty close to spot-on from the get-go. :)

Thanks!!

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: ISM saddle suggestions [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just replaced that saddle with a BiSaddle. At least now, I can adjust the front prongs and rear of the saddle to fit me. BTW, I am 5'2".

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OtterJohn wrote:

I ). The bike came with the PN 2.1 saddle, which seems to be working great for me...but she's concerned about inner-thigh rubbing. I think at the very least we need to move it back (it's a bit too far forward anyway), and I know there's a definitely "break in" period with learning to ride a noseless saddle (she's been riding a Specialized Amira for the last few years, traditional saddle...which hasn't been the most comfortable).

That all being said, I emailed QR and they also have the PN 3.0 available, so I might be able to do a swap. My wife is 5'3" tall, and has most of her height in her torso.

Thanks!!

the 2.1 model is the most narrow of the PN line - here is their chart, so you can understand/see how they measure this.
The 'inner thigh rub' can also happen if sitting too far back. Let's say, according to their chart, her butt should be forward of Line 4 or as far forward as 3. The saddle should balance the pelvis, there really isn't any break-in period for learning how to ride a noseless saddle. Pelvic rotation and pubic angle on that saddle create the balance (plus height of front end).

Am befuddled by the 'too far back' comment, that is to say, what sort of numbers do you have? That is to say the 'setback' of the saddle nose from the vertical line up from the bottom bracket. Broadly speaking for a good tri setup she should be anywhere from 2cm behind to 3cm in front of the BB.

Also, if the Amira road saddle hasn't been good, to me this is an indication of Something Else, a noseless saddle may not be any different in solution (outside of thigh rub)

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: ISM saddle suggestions [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ABarnes wrote:
OtterJohn wrote:

I ). The bike came with the PN 2.1 saddle, which seems to be working great for me...but she's concerned about inner-thigh rubbing. I think at the very least we need to move it back (it's a bit too far forward anyway), and I know there's a definitely "break in" period with learning to ride a noseless saddle (she's been riding a Specialized Amira for the last few years, traditional saddle...which hasn't been the most comfortable).

Thanks!!

the 2.1 model is the most narrow of the PN line - here is their chart, so you can understand/see how they measure this.
The 'inner thigh rub' can also happen if sitting too far back. Let's say, according to their chart, her butt should be forward of Line 4 or as far forward as 3. The saddle should balance the pelvis, there really isn't any break-in period for learning how to ride a noseless saddle. Pelvic rotation and pubic angle on that saddle create the balance (plus height of front end).

Am befuddled by the 'too far back' comment, that is to say, what sort of numbers do you have? That is to say the 'setback' of the saddle nose from the vertical line up from the bottom bracket. Broadly speaking for a good tri setup she should be anywhere from 2cm behind to 3cm in front of the BB.

Also, if the Amira road saddle hasn't been good, to me this is an indication of Something Else, a noseless saddle may not be any different in solution (outside of thigh rub)

Thanks for the link and the input, it's greatly appreciated. We adjusted her fit today and she rode for an hour; we might need to push the saddle back a little bit more and maybe a little nose tip (just a tiny bit). The nose is currently about 2.5mm behind the BB. I'm working with a fitter online (another thread here on ST) to try and get this dialed in (and I'm using the BitFitFast app as well).

Any additional input is still appreciated!

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the ISM PN 3.0 on my bike. No major issues. Right now I'm at a point where its broken in appropriately, but my take on this saddle is that despite 3-4 rides a week (total of 4-6 hours a week) - I still get minor soreness on the soft tissue. I asked a friend who has it and she also confirmed that you pretty much never get to the point where it goes completely away. I will say that I had tried an Adamo previously and HATED it, I don't hate this one. The previous one I couldn't get narrow enough in the nose, even with a hose barb pulling the two sides together.

I used to ride with a Bontrager Hilo RXL, but swapped to this saddle when I was upgrading components on my bike.

I am personally tempted to try a Cobb saddle, but not really in a switching mood these days ;)
Quote Reply